Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass Strings

• 07-02-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

I need new strings for my bass so I need recommendations please. I usually play DR Black Beauties (50-110) but I keep breaking the E string. :o Something with a similar feel and tone would be nice. Type of music would be general rock, nothing too fancy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Of all the strings, it's unusual for the E string in particular to break, let alone "keep" breaking. If this is your only reason to change, perhaps you should have the bass looked at. Could be a problem there. If so, then a new string will probably break too. If you think the string(s) is faulty, then get in touch with DR. Could be a bad batch. I have read that their customer service is second to none. Nothing to lose by emailing them.

Cant be of much help with recommendations, as I have never used Black Beauties, and you want something similar. I have however used DR Sunbeams, and while they are not coated, they have a very smooth feel, and warm tone for round wounds.

Hope this is of some help. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Rigsby wrote: »
    Of all the strings, it's unusual for the E string in particular to break, let alone "keep" breaking. If this is your only reason to change, perhaps you should have the bass looked at. Could be a problem there. If so, then a new string will probably break too. If you think the string(s) is faulty, then get in touch with DR. Could be a bad batch. I have read that their customer service is second to none. Nothing to lose by emailing them.

Cant be of much help with recommendations, as I have never used Black Beauties, and you want something similar. I have however used DR Sunbeams, and while they are not coated, they have a very smooth feel, and warm tone for round wounds.

Hope this is of some help. Let us know how you get on.

I've emailed DR twice already and they just said it was very strange too. I thought maybe it was a burr left on the saddle but I've switched it around and it still broke. The Black Beauties are tapered and it's right on the saddle that the core snaps. I've tried D'Addario strings in the past and while they didn't break, I wouldn't be a fan of them.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll see if I can find a demo on youtube or somewhere of the Sunbeams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Adyx wrote: »
    I've emailed DR twice already and they just said it was very strange too. I thought maybe it was a burr left on the saddle but I've switched it around and it still broke. The Black Beauties are tapered and it's right on the saddle that the core snaps. I've tried D'Addario strings in the past and while they didn't break, I wouldn't be a fan of them.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll see if I can find a demo on youtube or somewhere of the Sunbeams.

From what you say, it does seem like the strings are the problem. I'm surprised DR did not ask you to send them the broken string and they would replace it. I'm sure you are familar with "Talk Bass" ? If not, try a search here on their "strings" section. Lots of info to be had here.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Before you fork out more money on new strings, see if you can beg, steel or borrow an old E string to try out. If it does not break, then you know for sure that the DR's are faulty, and then ask for a replacement.

BTW, the Dunlops are good too for the price. There is a thread about them on the TB link.

Advertisement