Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should We Get a Dog??

Options
  • 07-02-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Our kids want us to get a dog. Myself and my wife are not against the idea of a dog, in fact we would probably like one. We don't, however, want to get a puppy only to realise in a years time that it was a mistake and the dog is neglected and becoming an annoyance.

Our circumstances are:

- 4 kids (6 to 14 years) who love pets and would be good to a dog.
    - We live in the countryside with houses close by but we are not fully enclosed
    - We're away daily until maybe 4.30
    - We're all off at weekends

After some research, we think that we would like a Japanese Spitz or a Shih Tzu. I'm unsure as to whether the dog will stay in the house or in the (detached) garage.

Would it be okay for a dog to be on its own for 6 or 7 hours a day without destroying the gaff?
    For a dog this size, how far would we have to walk it every day? And how often each day?
    Is having a house dog practical, or is it better practise to keep the dog outside from the start?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

First thing I'd say is only get a dog if you and your wife would want one anyway, without taking into account what the kids say. A dog has a life span of 12 years average, smaller breeds can live longer, so the kids will have well moved out, got boyfriends/girlfriends, gone to college, or just lost interest in general.

If a dog is well exercised in the morning it should be able to go for 6 or 7 hours without destroying the house, but you would need to be consistant with taking it out for an hours walk before you go to work, that includes the dark mornings in the winter. If the dog is tired from it's walk and you leave chewy treats for it then it should be happy to chill out.

From a dog's point of view it's always better to have a house dog. Our weather means that a lot of outdoor dogs get very little interaction with their families cos the curtains are drawn on the bad weather and the dog gets forgotten. Then the dog is overjoyed to see the family, jumps up, knocks kids over and generally behaves badly, the family don't want to spend time with the dog and the cycle continues.

Sorry if I sound negative, just getting a dog is a really big committment, so should only be taken on if you and your wife are prepared to commit to the dog for the rest of it's life. If you are then go for it, both japenese spitz and shih tzu's are great dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭shu

To be honest, if the dog is to be on it's own for that long every day I would say no don't get one. It's not really fair to leave them on their own for that long. Dogs especially puppies, get bored really easily and that's when the destruction begins! And if you have to get a dog, maybe you might think of getting two as company for each other.
    Have you thought about getting a cat instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have 2 house dogs, it is for us the best option for the dog to be part of the family, and the safest for the dogs.
    Two dogs keep each other company, our first we got in the summer hols and I was home all the time to train him, the second arrived just as the holidays started so again got our full attention. It also meant we had all summer to get them used to being left for periods of time.

I found having them around us all the time great and made training easier, both love to go out in the car for the day with us and are happy going visiting and having visitors.
    I'm studying the last 18months so I'm home at lunch and most days the longest I'm gone is 4 hrs, and they have each other for company.

Honestly it has changed our lives, we can't just go away for a weekend, we have to organize something for the dogs. Even going out for a day, anything more than 6-7hrs means we have to plan for dogs.
    Holidays mean kennels and that can be expensive, not to mention how hard it is to find a good place.

Then there's the furniture, dogs love to get up on sofa for a cuddle, carpets(should have gone for laminate) and floors(muddy) and the clothes, mud again. Mine don't really shed but do need a lot of grooming, I spend 30+mins most evenings brushing them and not to mention the hose downs after a mucky walk or sometimes a full bath. Cue cleaning the bathroom again! And from my experience the novelty of this part soon wears off for the kids. Especially if the hairy dog gets the runs and you have to clean poop out of the hair(no one ever tells you this about a hairy dog)

Both breeds you mention involve a lot of grooming, and haircuts for the Shih tzu, mine cost around €40 for the Lhasa(similar size to shih tzu) to €50 for the Tibetan a go, That adds up quickly.
    Don't know about the Japanese spitz but I wouldn't keep a Shih tzu outside.

Then there's food, vacs, worming, flea treatments and vet bills, bedding, bowls, toys and accessories.
    Please don't get me wrong, I love my dogs and would not be without them, I would go without to provide for them as I would for my daughter, and they bring so much joy to our lives. They get us out walking, people are always stopping for a chat when the dogs are with us and my daughter loves them to bits, I truly believe they make us better people.
    I just want to tell you the reality of dog ownership, as it would be sad to see another dog rehomed because you can't care for it.

Sorry for the epic post.
    We also have cats, they are much easier to care for.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Technique wrote: »
    I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Our kids want us to get a dog. Myself and my wife are not against the idea of a dog, in fact we would probably like one. We don't, however, want to get a puppy only to realise in a years time that it was a mistake and the dog is neglected and becoming an annoyance.

Our circumstances are:

- 4 kids (6 to 14 years) who love pets and would be good to a dog.
    - We live in the countryside with houses close by but we are not fully enclosed
    - We're away daily until maybe 4.30
    - We're all off at weekends

After some research, we think that we would like a Japanese Spitz or a Shih Tzu. I'm unsure as to whether the dog will stay in the house or in the (detached) garage.

Would it be okay for a dog to be on its own for 6 or 7 hours a day without destroying the gaff?
    For a dog this size, how far would we have to walk it every day? And how often each day?
    Is having a house dog practical, or is it better practise to keep the dog outside from the start?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

OP to be honest you and your wife have to want the dog yourselves. Getting two dogs as company for each other is a nice idea but they still need all the looking after that one dog would.
    If you and your wife wouldn't get a dog if it wasn't for your kids asking for one, then I think you should not get one.
    Animals are great and I have a lot but I second the other posters, they are a responsibility and you can't go on a last minute cheap week in the sun without finding someone to mind them.

I also don't like the suggestion of "get a cat instead". Cats are amazing animals in their own right and should not be suggested as an afterthought for people who are too busy or not keen enough for dog ownership.
    A cat needs food, shelter, love, vet attention just the same as a dog does. The only main difference is that they don't need so much company and they don't need to be walked. But they bring all the other responsibilities a dog does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Thanks for all of your replies, folks. I think my job in this whole decision making process is to be the voice of reality, and I appreciate that you've outlined some of the work involved in bringing a dog into the family.

We're still undecided, but at least we're going into this with our eyes open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement