Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Tralee a nice place to live?

Options
  • 07-02-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

My partner, son and I might be moving to Tralee...if we can find a reasonably priced house for rent (All so far seem so dear). Is Tralee a nice town to live in? Is it family friendly and safe? Are there any areas that we should avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭pfishfood

Hi Tralee can be an alright town its not the worst place and does have its bad elements like any town/city. Are you moving from a rural area or a big town/ city?

If you pick up either the Kerryman or Kerryseye newspapers they tend to give an overview of the places to avoid or places with a good community spirit. Also they advertise properties to let so that's an added bonus. You could also do a bit of research on the web of the archived newspapers and businesses.
    Hope this helps somebit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Near the coast around Blennerville is nice lovely scenery of the slieve mish mountains.

One place to avoid would be anywhere near Mitchell's crescent a.k.a the bullring. Some of it has been knocked down but theres still scum around the place unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

karlog wrote: »
    Near the coast around Blennerville is nice lovely scenery of the slieve mish mountains.

One place to avoid would be anywhere near Mitchell's crescent a.k.a the bullring. Some of it has been knocked down but theres still scum around the place unfortunately.

+1 avoid this area like the plague:

nice areas are oakpark, mounthawk caherslee and oakview village (although rents here still a little but high). Also if its an option you can try some where just outside the town where rents might be a bit cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

IMO you'd be better off to visit Tralee for a few days and judge for yourself. Like every other town it has it's good and bad points, PM me if you need anymore information.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pixie84

Thanks for your advice all, going to get the papers to see what areas sound dodgy...and to look at a few more houses, all we've seen so far have been overpriced and in bad condititon :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

If you've got some time to kill have a look through the tralee thread in the kerry forum. a LOT of posts are to do with the state Tralee is in and how scum ridden its become. There isn't a knacker free place in the town anymore except for ballyard and a few other isolated, expensive places.

Ive moved to cork since September and every time ive been home since I could count more scumbags than norms on the main oakpark road, the road thats meant to be Tralees sweet spot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Pixie84 wrote: »
    My partner, son and I might be moving to Tralee...if we can find a reasonably priced house for rent (All so far seem so dear). Is Tralee a nice town to live in? Is it family friendly and safe? Are there any areas that we should avoid?
    tralee is a brilliant town, and surrounding area, friendly people, great shops bars and restaurants, a lovely place every ameniety, swimming pools, cinemas, night venues, beautiful walks, you name it , it is all there, and you are in a fairly safe place also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 radling

goat2 wrote: »
    tralee is a brilliant town, and surrounding area, friendly people, great shops bars and restaurants, a lovely place every ameniety, swimming pools, cinemas, night venues, beautiful walks, you name it , it is all there, and you are in a fairly safe place also

Dear Lord!! Tralee is far far from a brilliant town, it is one of the most dangerous towns in the country. I base my opinions on having lived there for 18 years and since living in different towns and cities in Ireland and abroad. There is a huge problem with unprovoked violence on the streets particularly a night, there is a constant air of tension around the place. Ameniety wise it is very poor a handful of deccent pubs, two niteclubs, a cinema which due to a dsipute with distributors only shows a limited number of films and 2-3 decent resturaunts. The secnery is quite beautiful but it's nothing you can't admire on a day trip. Many other parts of the county are equally as beautiful but far safer and nicer to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Hey Pixie,

I would take many of the comments above with some salt.
    Tralee is a fine town, that said it does have some problem, like most other towns in the country( & world ). You can ignore the main 'problem' Tralee has (which you may have heard about in the media) unless you are one of the two families involved.

If you are looking to buy a house Tralee is a good place to look as the prices are well below the national average.

Personally I find the recreational facilities a bit lacking alright, I aggree with the above that the local cinema choice of movies can be lacking, but there is a good film festival and the few nightclubs are good if you are under 25 ( but this is probably the fact elsewhere too).
    That said, if you are like, the outdoors, walking, cycling etc. you can be on a pristine mountain, beach etc. within 20 from Tralee.

On the restaurants, it is true that Tralee lacks some 'high class' restaurants, but what it does have is a great choice of good value restaurants , which means you can get a great thai, pizza, india etc. for less that a tenner !

If I had to be honest, the one major problem I see with Tralee is the negativity many people have towards the town, they seem to love nothing more than to put it down at every opportunity.
    Unfortunately these people don't all seem to live in one area of town so I can't tell you where to avoid. :)

Pixie84 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

radling wrote: »
    I base my opinions on having lived there for 18 years and since living in different towns and cities in Ireland and abroad.

I'm from Tralee and have lived in Limerick, Cork, Galway and London. I can say for certain that I feel safer walking around Tralee at night that I would in Galway or Limerick. As with any town, there are pockets and places to avoid, you will get that in any town in Ireland. Tralee is certainly not the worst of them. Out of all the places in this country where I have been on nights out, the place that I have felt most threatened is Kilkenny. I would not walk around Kilkenny in a group at night, and I know many people who would agree with me. I have felt really quite scared there on many nights out. I have never felt that in Tralee in about 15 years of being around the town in the evenings/nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Hey Pixie,

I would take many of the comments above with some salt.
    Tralee is a fine town, that said it does have some problem, like most other towns in the country( & world ). You can ignore the main 'problem' Tralee has (which you may have heard about in the media) unless you are one of the two families involved.

If you are looking to buy a house Tralee is a good place to look as the prices are well below the national average.

Personally I find the recreational facilities a bit lacking alright, I aggree with the above that the local cinema choice of movies can be lacking, but there is a good film festival and the few nightclubs are good if you are under 25 ( but this is probably the fact elsewhere too).
    That said, if you are like, the outdoors, walking, cycling etc. you can be on a pristine mountain, beach etc. within 20 from Tralee.

On the restaurants, it is true that Tralee lacks some 'high class' restaurants, but what it does have is a great choice of good value restaurants , which means you can get a great thai, pizza, india etc. for less that a tenner !

If I had to be honest, the one major problem I see with Tralee is the negativity many people have towards the town, they seem to love nothing more than to put it down at every opportunity.
    Unfortunately these people don't all seem to live in one area of town so I can't tell you where to avoid. :)

Don't live in Tralee but know quite a few folk who do and that sounds about right to me.

It's very hard for people to accurately compare different towns as in general most people haven't lived in more than a handful of places. A lot of the time a person's opinion of a place depends far more about how the individual themselves than the place itself.

Also Killarney is not far and does quite well in terms of restaurants, hotels, bars and ammenities so you can always pop over and visit us for a day out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Tralee is up there with the best in this country, has more than some, and just like every other town in this country big and small, same dangers, it is very central to killarney, dingle, castleisland and killorglin all can be reached within one hours driving, beaches are within half hour drive, plenty beautiful places to walk, I would not knock it because of a few troublemakers, shure they are in every town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I base my opinions on having lived there for 18 years and since living in different towns and cities in Ireland and abroad.

I've spent some time living in Ennis recently, a similar type/size town IMO.

While I love the town of Ennis and (most of) it's people, to me it seems to have far more problems than Tralee.

AFAIK even the smallest village you can think of has it's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Don't know if the op is still looking at this but anyway...

I have lived in Tralee most of my life I come from a nice area and am middle class.

I like Tralee It has all the problems described above but every town does Steeob seems to hate Tralee and must have had some bad experiences of the place so they should be heeded I'm on the Oakpark Road every day and All I see are Students and a few locals.

Best part is its location near beaches and mountains and for families there are a good choice of schools.

Most towns have problems like described above I cannot say whether Tralee is significantly better or worse than any of them.

Taking this table look at all the towns around tralee's size:

Going from something like swords down the table to mullingar I would think Tralee would match them in their problems and advantages.

One of the best ways to judge an area is to look at the local papers. I was in Tralee this weekend and on the front of the Kerrys Eye was a story of a man who suffered a horrific and unprovoked attack while out walking.

The Kerryman carried a story about the first of the crystal meth seziures in the country, one of which was in Tralee. Crystal Meth destroys communities and when it becomes a problem in a town it is a seriously bad sign. Basic reasearch will show the devastation it has caused in numerous towns in the US.

These are just two simple indicators of the state of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Thank god you didn't get to the Kerry's Eye or you would think the town is full of a load of wierdos who like to stand around, pointing at random stuff, often laptops which aren't turned on.

One of the best ways to judge an area is to look at the local papers. I was in Tralee this weekend and on the front of the Kerrys Eye was a story of a man who suffered a horrific and unprovoked attack while out walking.

The Kerryman carried a story about the first of the crystal meth seziures in the country, one of which was in Tralee. Crystal Meth destroys communities and when it becomes a problem in a town it is a seriously bad sign. Basic reasearch will show the devastation it has caused in numerous towns in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Lol just wait until summer and you'll find that Tralee is full of weirdos who like to squat behind the rose bushes is the park. Seriously, what is the photographer thinking when he makes people do that pose?

AND countless other towns around the country!!

That is the point... it is no worse than many other places in this country right now. It is the country that has gone to pot! (no pun intended) ;)

kingdumb wrote: »
    Thank god you didn't get to the Kerry's Eye or you would think the town is full of a load of wierdos who like to stand around, pointing at random stuff, often laptops which aren't turned on.

As stated in my post I did read the Kerry's eye!

And as I stated in my post 'Thank god you didn't get to the Kerry's Eye ...!'
    As stated in my post I did read the Kerry's eye!

• Advertisement

While on the the topic of the US, I wouldn't like to live there either, I hear that in Ney York there are monkey which attack little girls. [ well according to the front of the Kerryman anyway]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Tralee may have some problems but they are nothing compared to scale of the issues seen in other similar sized towns. The fact of the matter though it seems is that criminal activitity occurs in every town in Ireland now, there is nowhere immune to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

I've been living here since October, I live in the town centre and I honestly have not encountered anything negative about the place. I really like it here

ammmmmm,
    Some people are not going to be happy with that comment, here will you post up your photo so the if I see you around we can give to a good baaaaating sorry I mean Tralee welcome.
    smurke wrote: »
    I've been living here since October, I live in the town centre and I honestly have not encountered anything negative about the place. I really like it here

Kerry the home of 0% monkey crime !
    kingdumb wrote: »
    While on the the topic of the US, I wouldn't like to live there either, I hear that in Ney York there are monkey which attack little girls. [ well according to the front of the Kerryman anyway]

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

ammmmmm,
    Some people are not going to be happy with that comment, here will you post up your photo so the if I see you around we can give to a good baaaaating sorry I mean Tralee welcome.

I think I've changed my mind, town was crazy this evening, saw lots of fights and a few arrests, kids hammered everywhere!

smurke wrote: »
    I think I've changed my mind, town was crazy this evening, saw lots of fights and a few arrests, kids hammered everywhere!

You should have seen Cork this week!! I didn't go outside after dark!!!

What you probably saw this week in Tralee isn't very different to what was happening all over the country this week, with the week that was in it! Why people feel the need to get so disgustingly drunk is beyond me but... they do!

Advertisement