Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what course do you really hope to get

Options
  • 07-02-2010 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

why hello i know most of these post lately are always about study so for once just to make it fun which course do you really really want indefinately. for me its LM102 Bachelor of Science in Pscyhology hopefully.:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

well,hopefully biomedical science dit

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

If I'm honest, I put down Law in various places as my first 5 but I'd be really happy if I got CS & Irish in TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm hoping i get Science in Trinity but if the points shoot up not sure if i will. My fingers are crossed though, it's the only one i really want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I want to do computer science an I.T in NUIG but my 1st choice is undenominated engineering just so I can get a feel for the different kinds of eng...maybe computer eng isn't for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

everyone is going for really sciency things!!! Primary teaching for me.. points will go up I think though.. Il be happy with Arts in Cork though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Commerce with accounting in NUIG for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Science in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Science NUIG . . . . CS&IT is my 2nd choice

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Im working my ass off here for medicine. The HPAT in about 3 weeks :eek:
    I dont care where I get it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Computer Science in UCC hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm hoping i get Science in Trinity but if the points shoot up not sure if i will. My fingers are crossed though, it's the only one i really want to do!
    Same, I really hope it stays under 460

Lawliet wrote: »
    Same, I really hope it stays under 460

See you there then :D If the points don't go to far up that is, i was thinking it was going to be hard getting 440 :( but i'm just going to work like mad and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah this points malarkey this year is very depressing. If I did my LC 2 years ago my first choice, science in UCD would have been 300 points:eek:

I'm almost regretting picking TY because the points were lower last year, but sure i couldn't have predicted the future! There's so many people going for science this year so the points are more than likely going to go up, but the question is by how much? It's going to be a horrible couple of days after we get our results, waiting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

cork*girl wrote: »
    everyone is going for really sciency things!!! Primary teaching for me.. points will go up I think though.. Il be happy with Arts in Cork though

I'm hoping to do primary teaching too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I'm almost regretting picking TY because the points were lower last year.

I know, tell me about it. Never even thought about the CAO and points race when I decided to do TY!

gemxpink wrote: »
    I know, tell me about it. Never even thought about the CAO and points race when I decided to do TY!

Yeah so true, glad i did fourth year but it's a bit stressful now worrying about the points :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

For CAO, first choice for level 8 was Computer Forensics in Waterford I.T. , and for level 7/6, first choice was Computer Security in Letterkenny.
    Tbh I'll be disapointed if I don't get into one of my prefered UCAS courses, and have to 'settle' for a CAO course. But beggers can't be choosers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Seriously guys, I wouldn't worry too much about the points for these courses jumping massive amounts. While its realistic to keep the points level of years prior in mind, it shouldnt be the main focus.
    Ok, theres an increase in numbers applying because older people are going back to do more courses etc... but what will happen is..
    1- these people will find jobs between now and august and wont take the place even if they get offered one
    2- they might not be able to come up with the money to pay to do the course
    3- they will more than likely have applied for courses relating to what they already did. So bearing in mind finance, construction, and IT were the sectors most badly hit, the courses with points rising will more than likely be in those sectors with people looking to strengthen their already acquired degrees.
    Those courses have been down in points level anyway in the last 2 years or so.

It would be interesting if the CAO released stats on these older primary degree holders not applying via the mature route to see what courses seem to be the most popular.
    Medicine, Veterinary, Dentistry, Pharmacy.. will all remain at the reach for the sky level that grind school repeat leaving cert applicants will most likely snap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Anyone hoping of going to DIT Cathal Brugha Street

• Advertisement

felic wrote: »
    Seriously guys, I wouldn't worry too much about the points for these courses jumping massive amounts. While its realistic to keep the points level of years prior in mind, it shouldnt be the main focus.
    Ok, theres an increase in numbers applying because older people are going back to do more courses etc... but what will happen is..
    1- these people will find jobs between now and august and wont take the place even if they get offered one
    2- they might not be able to come up with the money to pay to do the course
    3- they will more than likely have applied for courses relating to what they already did. So bearing in mind finance, construction, and IT were the sectors most badly hit, the courses with points rising will more than likely be in those sectors with people looking to strengthen their already acquired degrees.
    Those courses have been down in points level anyway in the last 2 years or so.

It would be interesting if the CAO released stats on these older primary degree holders not applying via the mature route to see what courses seem to be the most popular.
    Medicine, Veterinary, Dentistry, Pharmacy.. will all remain at the reach for the sky level that grind school repeat leaving cert applicants will most likely snap up.

Good points but with the new HPAT the amount of repeats getting into medicine has fallen drastically. Grind schools cant teach you emotional intelligence. All the people who just got 600 points from regurgitation fail heavily at the HPAT, and now 600 points = 560 towards the HPAT so if you are fairly smart and get a good 550 LC points with a good HPAT (aound 165) you will get in, repeat or not.

Ooops. Forgot the HPAT thing. Very true what you said. But its still a rat race to the top for places there... Id say you HAVE to get 550 points to have a solid chance and then at least a 180 score in the HPAT.
    But that change they made was a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Journalism and New Media in UL or Liberal Arts on Mary I...not sure which is going at the top.
    I hate decisions!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Law with French Law in UCD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Law in Trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 curlypops

im thinking Arts in NUI Maynooth or Modern Languages in UCD .. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Business and computing in trinity..
    It was new last year so it was only 360, does anyone know how much it's likely to go up by?

felic wrote: »
    Ooops. Forgot the HPAT thing. Very true what you said. But its still a rat race to the top for places there... Id say you HAVE to get 550 points to have a solid chance and then at least a 180 score in the HPAT.
    But that change they made was a good idea.

Im very glad they put it in, otherwise id have no chance. I cant get 600 points, thats just crazy. 550-553 is very accessible though so it really depends on how people get on in the hpat. Some people who got 600 points last year didnt get in and all they needed was 153 in the hpat which is a miniscule 3 points above average intelligence. One worries what kind of doctors we were training before. Obviously the majority were very bright people but there must have been the odd few who were a bit shakey!

fully agree there Rossie. I wanted to be a vet but missed out in it by 20 points! I was so so disgusted in myself and at the time I just could not see how I could have worked harder at anything to get the points I needed and then just accepted my second choice.
    Then in uni, I met some of the 'genius' clan who got their 575 points + for Medicine that year and I swear to God... I was so glad I hadnt gotten a place on that course. Nerd city and boring people!!!! I know thats mean but really... the old system was so unfair and unrealistic. To be a good doctor, one needing a bedside manner, you really need to have a personality thats both clever, understanding, no nonsense yet compassionate, and yet 9 out of 10 students who were doing Medicine, just did not have that...!

I looked at the HPAT sample papers and actually gave it a shot out of curiosity. Section 1 seemed to be ok, but the last few questions were so long and the questions were very confusing. Section 2 was lovely, but then Section 3 was really weird as well. Some of the sequences were fine but ones again towards the end were like random things grabbed from the solar system and you have to make a sequence somehow. Impossible to prepare for but I think its a fair system. I just would have thought it to make more sense, seeing the capped the points at a minimum 480, that those 480 should be the max you can get. Then its down to the HPAT.

I really hope they start doing similar testing methods for the other sky high points courses. Or at the very least, an interview process or practical exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Im very glad they put it in, otherwise id have no chance. I cant get 600 points, thats just crazy. 550-553 is very accessible though so it really depends on how people get on in the hpat. Some people who got 600 points last year didnt get in and all they needed was 153 in the hpat which is a miniscule 3 points above average intelligence. One worries what kind of doctors we were training before. Obviously the majority were very bright people but there must have been the odd few who were a bit shakey!
    153 is not 3 points above average intelligence for a few reasons.
    1. The HPAT is an aptitude test, not an intelligence test. It tests only a persons aptitude at skills identified as important for a competent health professional.
    2. 150 is not average. 150 is the median mark achieved by those who sat the HPAT. I think it would be reasonable to assume that those who sat the HPAT do not represent an accurate cross-section of society.
    So I don't think it's fair to say that one should worry about the quality of doctor we were training before the introduction of this test. The points required for medicine previously were very difficult to attain, and required hard work and dedication. Anyone who achieved this would more than likely make a fine doctor IMHO.
    However, I do think the introduction of the HPAT has been a good idea, and it does relieve the pressure on students quite a bit. The 550 cut off point is fair though I think.
    fully agree there Rossie. I wanted to be a vet but missed out in it by 20 points! I was so so disgusted in myself and at the time I just could not see how I could have worked harder at anything to get the points I needed and then just accepted my second choice.
    Then in uni, I met some of the 'genius' clan who got their 575 points + for Medicine that year and I swear to God... I was so glad I hadnt gotten a place on that course. Nerd city and boring people!!!! I know thats mean but really... the old system was so unfair and unrealistic. To be a good doctor, one needing a bedside manner, you really need to have a personality thats both clever, understanding, no nonsense yet compassionate, and yet 9 out of 10 students who were doing Medicine, just did not have that...!
    I don't think that sweeping generalisation is fair at all. The vast majority of med students I know, both in my year (people who have done the HPAT) and in older years (those that got in on the old system) are very sociable, friendly and compassionate people.

Advertisement