Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so what course do you really hope to get

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

HQvhs wrote: »
    153 is not 3 points above average intelligence for a few reasons.
    1. The HPAT is an aptitude test, not an intelligence test. It tests only a persons aptitude at skills identified as important for a competent health professional.
    2. 150 is not average. 150 is the median mark achieved by those who sat the HPAT. I think it would be reasonable to assume that those who sat the HPAT do not represent an accurate cross-section of society.
    So I don't think it's fair to say that one should worry about the quality of doctor we were training before the introduction of this test. The points required for medicine previously were very difficult to attain, and required hard work and dedication. Anyone who achieved this would more than likely make a fine doctor IMHO.
    However, I do think the introduction of the HPAT has been a good idea, and it does relieve the pressure on students quite a bit. The 550 cut off point is fair though I think.

I see what you are saying however I cant agree with you. ACER force the results to become a bell curve, and 150 is the average. Now you seem to have picked up on the word intelligence that I used, however I meant EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE which the HPAT judges. As I said lots of people were definately going to become good doctors,

I don't think that sweeping generalisation is fair at all. The vast majority of med students I know, both in my year (people who have done the HPAT) and in older years (those that got in on the old system) are very sociable, friendly and compassionate people.

Of course, Im not saying if you get 600 points you are emotionally void. I happen to know of 2 examples of leaving certs who got some very good teachers to write them some sample A1 material, and learned this off like crazy until they could adjust it to their own desires. This is how they got 600 points.

This gave them a huge advantage for rhe HPAT, however with the HPAT, they were not able to get on 3 points better then our average joe of 150, while very bright people were getting 200+. These people over 200 or around it can think very well in pressurised environments with a serious time limit (110 questions in the time allowed is quit thin indeed), with something you cant learn off before hand. Yes the others were dedicated and gave a lot of time to perfecting their papers, but how long do you have if you are at a road side accident etc. and someone is dying on you? Or you have to deal with people's feelings and peoblems? Your amazing three and a half page essay on Fadhb na nDrugaí wont help you here my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

Civil Law-DCU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Rossie17 wrote: »
    I see what you are saying however I cant agree with you. ACER force the results to become a bell curve, and 150 is the average. Now you seem to have picked up on the word intelligence that I used, however I meant EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE which the HPAT judges. As I said lots of people were definately going to become good doctors,
    Yes, they do. A bell curve of everyone who sat the HPAT. I'm aware this is only my experience, but I found that the vast majority of people I know who sat the HPAT were very intelligent people. I certainly wouldn't go looking down at a score of "only" 150 as indicating a person would be a poor doctor. It doesn't measure emotional intelligence per se. Rather, it measures interpersonal understanding. And, this is only one of three components of the test. One could score highly in this area and poorly in the other two. (And vice versa)

Of course, Im not saying if you get 600 points you are emotionally void. I happen to know of 2 examples of leaving certs who got some very good teachers to write them some sample A1 material, and learned this off like crazy until they could adjust it to their own desires. This is how they got 600 points.

This gave them a huge advantage for rhe HPAT, however with the HPAT, they were not able to get on 3 points better then our average joe of 150, while very bright people were getting 200+. These people over 200 or around it can think very well in pressurised environments with a serious time limit (110 questions in the time allowed is quit thin indeed), with something you cant learn off before hand. Yes the others were dedicated and gave a lot of time to perfecting their papers, but how long do you have if you are at a road side accident etc. and someone is dying on you? Or you have to deal with people's feelings and peoblems? Your amazing three and a half page essay on Fadhb na nDrugaí wont help you here my friend.
    A lot of the medicine course is learning off and hard graft unfortunately. I don't mean rote-learning, you need to understand everything. But the course matter is particularly intellectually challenging (compared to say, theoretical physics), there's just a lot of it and you need to be able to recall it all and know when to use it. The ability to get high points in the leaving cert is definitely a useful skill in medicine.
    It is, of course, true that the ability to think quickly on your feet is necessary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Yes, they do. A bell curve of everyone who sat the HPAT. I'm aware this is only my experience, but I found that the vast majority of people I know who sat the HPAT were very intelligent people. I certainly wouldn't go looking down at a score of "only" 150 as indicating a person would be a poor doctor. It doesn't measure emotional intelligence per se. Rather, it measures interpersonal understanding. And, this is only one of three components of the test. One could score highly in this area and poorly in the other two. (And vice versa)

A lot of the medicine course is learning off and hard graft unfortunately. I don't mean rote-learning, you need to understand everything. But the course matter is particularly intellectually challenging (compared to say, theoretical physics), there's just a lot of it and you need to be able to recall it all and know when to use it. The ability to get high points in the leaving cert is definitely a useful skill in medicine.
    It is, of course, true that the ability to think quickly on your feet is necessary though.

Yeah fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Computer Science in UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah here! Does every thread have to become a HPAT thread or a CAO predicted points thread?

Any hope those arguments could stay in their own threads? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

:D:DUL Financial Maths:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 poppygirlx

Social Care baybeeeee.
    But uh all depends on the points. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The_Fear_1993

I put down medicine everywhere and i'd take it anywhere but I'd prefer Dublin......540 points will be hard tho

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

B. Ed, possibly with Psychology. Dream course really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Physiotherapy in the Royal College of Surgeons....

Looks a loooong and hard way off after my mocks :(
    Please let me in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

music technology in l.i.t its the only thing i applied for i'll repeat if i dont get it

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

History & Politics is my top choice which shoudn't be too much trouble.

However I just got a conditional for War Studies and History @ King's College which would require 550 :O

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Primary School Teaching in either St Pats, Marino and Frobel, Hopefully the points don't spike as much as they are expected to. If not then economics and geography in Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I have Arts Down in UCD, have an offer from Queens for Archaeology, but I think my actual Course that i think i wanna do now is Event management in DIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I would really love to get Culinary Arts in DIT. Their Open Day was awesome. If not, I have Culinary Entrepreneurship down as well, but it's Culinary Arts as my first choice:)

*giggles* wrote: »
    I would really love to get Culinary Arts in DIT. Their Open Day was awesome.

Hey are you going to their open day on thursday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Hey are you going to their open day on thursday?

I would really love to, but school/other commitments forbids it:( You going to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Multimedia in CSN, Cork. No points - just portfolio and interview. Hopefully i'll get in, I have a good enough chance I think! :)

*giggles* wrote: »
    I would really love to, but school/other commitments forbids it:( You going to it?

Aww,yep Im going to it cos i have baking arts management down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

Science education, dcu. First choice, and probably the only one i'll settle for. :)

Advertisement