Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Beginner Camera

• 07-02-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am completely new to photography but would like to get into it. Just as a hobbie, to take portraits of friends and famuily and just generally experiment. Could someone reccommend me a good camera which is beginner-friendly and also how much it would cost??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

This netted me this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Beginner camera should have some programs to help you in case of absolute uncertainty, but should let you know to learn and grow. If you could afford it financially and space-wise, I would recommend entry level DSLRs like Canon 350D (older, second hand) or it's (new) successors. With both kit lense and nifty-fifty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

For a Beginner who wants to learn & also see if they like Photography I would reccomend a Bridge Camera. These are cameras that have a lot of the features of more expensive DSLR Cameras but do not have interchangeable lenses. They are called "Bridge" as they fill the middle ground between the Compact Point & Shoot's and the DSLR's. You will get Manual Control as well as Auto Modes. You can learn a lot about Exposure Control, Composition and Photographic Technique. There are limitations & compromises, but they offer really good value for money.

Most makers have Bridge Cameras in their range. I know that Fuji have some really good models. Have a read of this thread and then come back and ask if you need clarification or help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

My vote would go towards a Nikon D40 or its replacement, the D300 I think it is. It is a great camera that has loads of stuff to help you learn about photoraphy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

My vote would go towards a Nikon D40 or its replacement, the D300 I think it is. It is a great camera that has loads of stuff to help you learn about photoraphy.

I think you are mistaken. The D300 is hardly the replacement for the D40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Correct, it's the d3000

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭**Portia**

Thank a mil guys I will get researching on the cameras you have suggested. As I am brand spanking new to photography I do not want to spend too much. The 'brige' camera seems a good option maybe. I need photography for Dummies or something because the terminology/makes/model are akin to a foreign language at the mo. Will do a bit of research based on your very helpful and informed suggestions and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer this thread!! :)

Advertisement