Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any problem moving from Wales?

Options
  • 07-02-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My old neighbours who are pensioners have told me they're going to move to Ireland from Wales. They've got their state pensions which they say will be enough to support them and their adult son (he doesn't work).
    They said they'll get medical cards so all their medical costs will be covered and they said there's no rates to pay plus other benefits for pensioners.
    Is that right? I can't help but think that it can't be that simple!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

health system not as good and rural transport is dire unless they drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boxers

But they're right in what they've told me then? I thought they'd need health insurance etc but they can get it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

boxers wrote: »
    But they're right in what they've told me then? I thought they'd need health insurance etc but they can get it for free?

Medical cards for over 70's are means tested now. A state pension should be ok for the means test, but could change, the government tried to withdraw it last year, they WILL try again.

Cost of living is higher in Ireland, compared to Wales and varies with in Ireland, but on the bright side, they are a lot of vacant properties just now, so might be a good time to move.

I assume since this is in the Galway country section, that they are planning to move to Galway, housing cost vary greatly, the east of the county is usually cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boxers

Thanks Gerard for your reply - so it looks as if they'll be ok then. Presumably their son will get a medical card as well as he's never worked.
    They said there's no council tax and they'll get cheap electricity plus other benefits as they're pensioners. I'd thought maybe it was only for Irish pensioners, but maybe they're right.

Advertisement