Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economies of Scale...

Options
  • 07-02-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

http://consumerist.com/2010/02/bottle-of-sprite-includes-free-inch-long-cockroach.html
    Coca-Cola in China has been fined 2.05 yuan (30 cents) after a customer found a cockroach just over an inch long inside a bottle of Sprite. At least it wasn't Coke or another cola, because then the customer wouldn't have noticed until the bug was in his mouth.

A man surnamed Gao, who bought a box of soft drinks containing 24 bottles of Sprite on June 23, 2007 from a supermarket in Beijing, found a three cm long cockroach-like insect inside one bottle of the popular drink. Gao took the company to Daxing court in 2008, asking for 5.1 yuan [75 cents]. The amount included 2.05 yuan for the bottle, 2.05 yuan as a penalty, and 1 yuan in psychological damage. He additionally requested an official apology from Coca Cola.
    "I don't want money. It's a lawsuit concerning public interests," Gao told the Beijing News, adding that all his family members have given up the famous brand's products because they are "disgusting".
    The company has not issued an apology, and the case has been appealed to a higher court.
    First off, thats a low price!

But that someone would bother going to the trouble of suing over such a small amount (and that China would waste energy with such a court case) is fairly amusing.

Political Stereotype would seem to suggest Gao would have simply been shot for speaking out of turn..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Personally I never got the sue nation culture. So there is a cockaroch in his sprite.

How many people dont wash there hands after going the toilet????

I always figure that unless you become sick or something sueing for thousands is just oppertunistic

As for emotional stress.... Jesus I heard it all.

Advertisement