Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nuts!

Options
  • 07-02-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hokay so once I again I'm trying to healthify my diet and nuts seem to be an essential part of it. I also love nuts =D But they always seem to be so expensive, and it can be quite hard to find them unsalted and unroasted (bleurgh).

Anyone know of any super secret cheap and clean nut shops? I've the big bags of cashews in holland and barrett quite good, especially when the buy one get one half price offer was on. Walnuts and almonds are good too =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was thinking along the same lines not too long ago myself, and would love to find a place that sells those same clean, unsalted and unroasted cashew, almond and Brazil nuts cheaply (well cheaper) than anywhere i've found other than Tesco:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Afaik the only real, viable solution in Dublin right now is basically to stock up when nuts are on sale. Keep them unopened in a cool, dry place and they should be ok. Wish they were cheaper though. I have a weird addiction of munching on brazil nuts between classes :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thos fecking brazil nuts...so expensive...mmm nuts. Must start buying bigger cheaper bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

just DO NOT eat a load of pine nuts!!!

i am deadly serious! i ate half bag of pine nuts thurs two weeks ago, i felt nauseous later that day, two days later i got this weird taste in my mouth after food and drink. it got worse, everything had this chemical taste to it. i google it and guess what... F**KING PINE NUTS!!!
    it lasted two weeks, it was so horrible!!!

i was eating the lil packs of sugar to try kill my taste buds :( oh the memories :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Weird! Thank god I don't like pine nuts too much!

I really wish nuts were cheaper. I much prefer a bag of pecans or almonds to any bag of crisps. But they're so much harder to find and so much more expensive :mad::(

• Advertisement

maameeo wrote: »

i am deadly serious! i ate half bag of pine nuts thurs two weeks ago, i felt nauseous later that day, two days later i got this weird taste in my mouth after food and drink. it got worse, everything had this chemical taste to it. i google it and guess what... F**KING PINE NUTS!!!
    it lasted two weeks, it was so horrible!!!

i was eating the lil packs of sugar to try kill my taste buds :( oh the memories :'(

That is crazy!
    Pine nuts are savage....I could have done that.

Asian food stores sell giant bags of cashews.

I like walnuts, and they go rancid quickly.
    Lidl is the best place I have found for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

ALDI do fairly decent sized bags of unsalted hazels, almonds, cashews and walnuts for €1.7something.. this is usually how I get by.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Afaik the only real, viable solution in Dublin right now is basically to stock up when nuts are on sale. Keep them unopened in a cool, dry place and they should be ok. Wish they were cheaper though. I have a weird addiction of munching on brazil nuts between classes :o
    don't brazillians jsut call them nuts? :P
    /simpsons
    ALDI do fairly decent sized bags of unsalted hazels, almonds, cashews and walnuts for €1.7something.. this is usually how I get by.

Sounds good to meeee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

aldi are brilliant. Otherwise buy wholesale from a wholefoods supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cocoa wrote: »
    it can be quite hard to find them unsalted and unroasted
    Check the baking section, my tesco have nuts in about 6 different locations, prices are all over the place too, i.e. brazils might be cheaper in the veg section than in the baking section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

cheers for all the suggestions there =) popped into aldi today. was dismayed at first to see a load of salted nuts, only to find the good stuff on the opposite side of the place =) bags of cashews and almonds and walnuts and hazelnuts, excellent =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

What price are the nuts in Aldi (and the size of the bags)? The cheapest I have found for Brazil nuts is €3 for 300g in Tesco (you do get one or two 'bad' nuts in each bag though so not sure of the quality - the rest are lovely mind!). I did see some fancier looking ones in a health food store today (possibly even organic!) 250g for about €3. Has anyone noticed a difference is quality - is it worth paying a little extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

*fishes about for receipt*

they were €1.69 for 200g. I haven't eaten them yet (the shame, I know) so I can't talk about quality but they look pretty good. Oh, and it was the same price for walnuts, cashews, almonds and hazelnuts. Possibly some others I didn't see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Asia Market on Drury street! I can't quote an exact price, but their nuts are definitely less expensive than what you'd get in health stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cuaifeadh

maameeo wrote: »

Pine nuts are only tasty in large quantities when they're an ingredient in tapenade! nyom nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

cuaifeadh wrote: »
    Pine nuts are only tasty in large quantities when they're an ingredient in tapenade! nyom nyom

oki, your choice but when the evil chemical taste destroys your taste buds for two weeks just remember... i told ya so :P

Advertisement