Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your least favourite flavours?

Options
  • 07-02-2010 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm not talking about dishes, as such, rather what flavours or ingredients do you really detest? For me, it's corriander and garlic with seafood. If I see a dish or recipe that involves either of these, I generally cringe away from trying it. I believe they ruin food! For instance, coriander in every single Indian dish, I want to strangle the chef

What doesn't do it for you?

Here's my list.

Coriander
    Cucumber
    Lemongrass
    Garlic on fish
    Coffee

I won't order any dish with any of them listed as ingredients. If I'm cooking, I'd leave them out.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You big copy cat! Make up your own introduction! :p

Ehh... I'd tend to avoid chili, but that's more because I don't like the heat.

I have to think about this some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I detest, just totally detest the flavour of cinnamon on its own. But I always use it when I'm cooking Indian dishes just don't want it as main flavour. I also hate the smell of cooking lamb, it turns my stomach and the only thing I taste when I taste lamb is the dirty, muddy field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Cinnamon and coriander.

Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Cinnamon and coriander.

Yuck.

Two of my favourites!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Ginger sometimes in baked goods bar biscuits!
    Nutmeg unless its on cabbage!!!
    Coffee - love the smell but that is all!
    Aniseed - icky unless in the drink!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

Aniseed. I can get through most things that I'm not a fan of but anything aniseedy makes my stomach turn- licorice, sambuca, star anise, bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Coconut is a strange one for me. I love Bounty bars and cakes with a sprinkle of Coconut, but I hate it in curries or any cooked food (i.e dinners).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Coffee flavoured anything, don't mind a weak regular cup of instant but coffee flavour in anything is gross esp. cake..ruins a cake won't touch it.

Chillie and chocolate together..disgusting.

Over spicy stuff where you can no longer taste the flavours just too much chillie up yer nostrils.

Mainly coffee flavour though bleah.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

I definitely agree with coriander, it gives an unpleasant soapy aftertaste and is very overpowering. I'd also add dill to the list, in small quantities it's rather nice but when people throw bunches of it in with fish it completely destroys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Only flavour I can think of that I'm not fond of is aniseed, but I'd still eat something aniseedy if it was put in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chicken with tomato. Hate it. And I'll try pretty much anything, so that's saying something for me - but I'll never order a chicken/tomato dish on a menu. Every time I do, the chicken (which falls under the 'sweet' category in the whole 'five flavours' thing) tastes oversweet, and the tomatoes excessively acidic, and the whole dish just comes across as bland, bland, bland. Blech. Worst has to be the sort of penne al pollo dishes - someone ingrate shreds a chicken breast, tosses it with a tin of peeled plum tomatoes, shoves in a few basil leaves and stirs it through cooked penne. I'd rather have cheese on toast, thanks, it'd be more satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

As other people have said. Coriander in anything. It just tastes like soap and makes anything taste soapy and gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

i absolutely detest red green yellow peppers, yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cucumber & celery. -these are well known hated foods, some people have a sort of allergy to them. If a single slice of cucumber was in a sandwich I could not eat it -even when taken out I can taste it a mile off. Strangely I love gherkins.

Aniseed- though I don't mind liquorice or aniseed sweets.

Too much nutmeg or ginger -a little is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Truffle, it reminds me of halitosis. UGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

For me:

1. Marzipan - Eugh :eek:

2. Parsley

3. Chinese Five Spice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Dill and tarragon!

I steer clear of these at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Coriander and peppers of any form.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,255 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Aniseed or Banana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Another vote for coconut. I can't stand it in anything. Or margarine and spreads; they are no substitute for using butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Cashew Nuts, cannot stand the taste of them.

I cant taste the chemical in cumcumber, so it's just like crispy water to me.

I don't like meats (the grease, taste and texture), snotty blue cheeses, strong goats cheese, buckwheat groats, celery on its own, super hot I just taste burning chilis, portobello mushrooms, parsnips on their own, pan bread and lychees.

To be fair though I do still try to eat these (apart from the meat to which I also take ethical umbrage)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Yeah corriander too, it tops the list.

Aniseed, turnips, cauliflour, parsips...any white veg except potatoes, marzipan, goats cheese. Curry and sweet and sour are tastes I also dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

coriander

beef

celery

brussel sprouts

okra

All yuck yuck yuck!

Brussel sprouts get a bad rep because alot of people overcook them, and make the bitter.

I can't believe so many people dislike poor oul coriander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

Pesto,utterly vile!also lamb is horrible as is cooked celery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Charlie.

rubadub wrote: »
    If a single slice of cucumber was in a sandwich I could not eat it -even when taken out I can taste it a mile off.

Yea same as that, hate it when they're in a sandwich I can't just pick them out because it has flavored everything else.
    I also get that "soapy" taste from soups and things sometimes so I'm guessing now from reading other descriptions on this thread that it's coriander yuck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I hate boiled parsnips or turnips, but love both in stews or and especially roasted.

I hate any liver paté, foie gras makes me want to puke, it's fu*king mank.

I dislike dill in cream based sauces, just ugh, why dear lord would you do that to the poor fish?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Glad I'm not the only one who Hayes Aniseed & celery. I like most foods but these two actually make me physically sick.
    Aniseed is popping up way more than I would have expected it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I kind of thought we were just talking about flavourings and I would like to add the following to my list of food I don't like because of their flavour :D

Cucumber
    Beetroot

I can't think of any other savoury food I just won't eat.

Sweets and desserts however...I hate:
    Marzipan
    Praline
    Sponge cake (maybe texture more than flavour)
    Trifle biscuits
    Whipped cream
    Anything flavoured with lime or lemon
    Meringue
    Jelly
    Anything with coconut
    Gateau
    etc

Advertisement