Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your least favourite flavours?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Goats cheese (tastes like feet, how does anyone enjoy it?)
    Most stinky cheeses
    Brussel sprouts
    Cauliflower (unless it's in a soup)
    Fishy fish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I detest parsnips in any form and fish (or anything that swims).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cucumber
    Fish
    Brussel sprouts
    Gurkins, beetroot, etc!
    Coleslaw
    Glace cherries, e.g, in Christmas pudding
    Ham and cabbage (cabbage full stop)
    Orange chocolate (jaysus)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I forgot to say goat cheese and smelly cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Pig - anything from a pig I detest
    Looking at cooked Porridge or seeing someone eat it makes me gag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Brussel sprouts get a bad rep because alot of people overcook them, and make the bitter.

I can't believe so many people dislike poor oul coriander.

I only tried brussel sprouts once and almost threw up so am never going near them again!

Coriander I don't like probably because my parents use it to garnish almost all curries they cook.

I forgot to add that I can't stand raisins or cashews either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Celery - vilest food ever.
    Cucumber
    Marzipan
    Coconut (love the smell though)
    Scallops & Mussels (that could be more the texture rather than the flavour though)
    Blue Cheese
    Orange & Mint Chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I will eat nearly everything but brown rice and hake I detest, more to do with texture than flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

lucylu wrote: »
    Pig - anything from a pig I detest
    Looking at cooked Porridge or seeing someone eat it makes me gag.

Nice1 thats funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

sweet and sour sauce
    mushy peas

• Advertisement

brumindub wrote: »
    I only tried brussel sprouts once and almost threw up so am never going near them again!

Coriander I don't like probably because my parents use it to garnish almost all curries they cook.

I forgot to add that I can't stand raisins or cashews either.

I was googling.
    Apparently if your a super taster, roughly 25% of the population are.
    Coriander does indeed come across as soapy.
    And brussel sprouts extra bitter.
    The benefit, is that sugar and fat are also less attractive to you.

Ouh and how did I forget my arch nemesis. The Sultana. yick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

whats with the I hate corriander club what are you doing with it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

whats with the I hate corriander club what are you doing with it ?

It's not what we're doing with it, it's what chefs up and down the land are doing with it.

It seems to be the "herb du jour" in a lot of places.

Indian restaurants whacking it on everything.

Wedding meals having it plastered on every course (one wedding I was at it was on the soup, the starter and the mains, I was surprised we didn't get "Coriander Fool" for dessert).

Added to the fact that I don't actually like the taste of it, it is fairly irritating to have to pick it off everything I order when I go out. It's never listed in ingredients on menus, so I have to ask every time I go out, just in case the chef has it in his brain that coriander is a must in every damn thing he makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mr.David wrote: »
    For me:

1. Marzipan - Eugh :eek:

2. Parsley

3. Chinese Five Spice

Ye wha?

I think we both know that cinnamon is the devil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Er, I love nearly every thing listed in this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

livinsane wrote: »
    Did whiting fillets pan fried in breadcrumbs, with some ginger mixed into the coating. Served with mash made from sweet potato, potato and celery. Obligatory cherry tomatoes and spring onion that I throw on nearly everything I eat.

:eek:

Why would you ruin perfectly good mash with celery!

It tastes like leaves.
    Very very horrible leaves. Although I recall reading somewhere that the taste for it is genetic, or something like that......
    Also can't stand tarragon or cloves. But thats another story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Kovu Murr wrote: »

It tastes like leaves.
    Very very horrible leaves. Although I recall reading somewhere that the taste for it is genetic, or something like that......

The celery is my favourite part! I love the smell of it too. I also love tarragon and cloves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

It tastes like leaves.

We're genetic twins! Celery tastes like I imagine a blade of grass would if I was tiny like Honey I Shrunk The Kids and took a chunk out of one. It's absolutely horrific. I also despise the flavour of tarragon, I can just about tolerate the flavour of cloves with ham or apple-y things, just about. But yeah celery, work of the devil.

We're genetic twins! Celery tastes like I imagine a blade of grass would if I was tiny like Honey I Shrunk The Kids and took a chunk out of one. It's absolutely horrific. I also despise the flavour of tarragon, I can just about tolerate the flavour of cloves with ham or apple-y things, just about. But yeah celery, work of the devil.

I'm 100% sure I read an article on tastebuds that mentioned why this occurs. I think it's 10% or maybe 1%
    I honestly can't remember!:o
    Do you by any chance DETEST cucumber?
    As I can't even touch a salad that it's been in,
    cucumber flavour everywhere.
    Tonight I'm having a Subway Veggie Delight. Oh so healthy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I'm 100% sure I read an article on tastebuds that mentioned why this occurs. I think it's 10% or maybe 1%
    I honestly can't remember!:o
    Do you by any chance DETEST cucumber?
    As I can't even touch a salad that it's been in,
    cucumber flavour everywhere.
    Tonight I'm having a Subway Veggie Delight. Oh so healthy :pac:

Was just about to mention cucumber, I've heard that tasting that is genetic too. Cucumber to me tastes just like water, watery, bleh. I have trained myself to eat big fat chunks of it if it's dipped in hummus, mainly because my mum loves cucumber so it was always there to snack on when I was growing up. But I wouldn't eat a chunk of it where I could actually taste only cucumber, and for some reason really thin slices of it are just horrific, wouldn't even go near one of them.

• Advertisement

Was just about to mention cucumber, I've heard that tasting that is genetic too. Cucumber to me tastes just like water, watery, bleh. I have trained myself to eat big fat chunks of it if it's dipped in hummus, mainly because my mum loves cucumber so it was always there to snack on when I was growing up. But I wouldn't eat a chunk of it where I could actually taste only cucumber, and for some reason really thin slices of it are just horrific, wouldn't even go near one of them.

I shall have to research more into this. I adore savory foods so maybe it's the acidity:confused:
    But it's the genetic hatred of tastes that intrigues me atm. Esp as you hate the same as me!
    And they all seem to be the same kind of taste things,......hmm.

Anyone else the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I love celery but used to hate cucumber and fresh coriander. Good article on it here

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html?_r=0

I started growing the stuff and picked leafs daily to get over my hatred, sushi got me over cucumber but I'd probably still pick it out of a sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think the genetic mutation makes you taste cucumber as really bitter though, not just watery.

I think the genetic mutation makes you taste cucumber as really bitter though, not just watery.

YES! A really really sharp bitter taste, and as it's so watery anything it's in gets the flavour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Recent posts split from the 'Here's What I've Had For Dinner...' thread.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Coriander, got food poisoning one time from a Thai and it's the one sticking memory, can't eat it in years since....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Parsley. Absolutely disgusting stuff!! Hate it!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I hate the taste & smell of honey - smells like feet. Taste & texture of celery (and when people tell me that you can't taste it when it's used in a mirepoix I have to put my fingers on my eyes to stop them rolling into the back of my head). There are some spices that I like the taste of but don't like cooking with because the smell of them reminds me of unwashed hair, I think that's me being weird though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I hate the taste & smell of honey - smells like feet.

A long time ago someone told me my skin smelled of honey, which I took as a compliment. I must smell like feet to you :p

Btw, I can't stand saffron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    A long time ago someone told me my skin smelled of honey, which I took as a compliment. I must smell like feet to you :p

I'm sure you smell like lovely feet, clean ones, no bunions or anything :)

Advertisement