Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your least favourite flavours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Coriander for me too.
    I don't like the taste of celery but I will dice it small and use it as bases for meals, such as Bolognese, Shepherd's Pie, etc, because it bulks it out and I can't taste it.
    Also despise coconut in curries.
    Absolutely detest mustard BUT it is absolutely amazing in meatballs/barbecue sauce-transforms it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    A long time ago someone told me my skin smelled of honey, which I took as a compliment. I must smell like feet to you :p

Btw, I can't stand saffron.
    I'm sure you smell like lovely feet, clean ones, no bunions or anything :)

Oh, just get a room!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Chinese five spice.
    Ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Marzipan & mushy peas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

mushy peas.

the food of the devil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

• Hazelnut
    • Liquorice
    • Coriander leaf

WILL NOT EAT!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I hate fresh coriander too.
    And cauliflower.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Goats cheese - how on earth can that be something to eat? yuck! sadist torturing smell too :eek:

Goats Cheese
    Goats Cheese
    Goats cheese

liver pate
    peppers- not cooked or in stir fry
    sushi
    Whipped cream on pancake

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Oddly enough I love cinnamon in sweet things but freakin hate it in savoury stuff. Once made a big batch of chilli according to Jamie Oliver's method and followed the recipe to the gram and all I could taste was cinnamon. Absolutely rank, ended up giving it to the neighbour's dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't like aniseed or celery.

Sometimes if celery is in a stew I can't really taste it but other times it completely overpowers everything and it's all I can taste.

I also don't really like the smell or taste of basil.

Oh, and while I like honey and I like chocolate, the combination of the two in that little hive sweet that's in Milk Tray is disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Forgot one - almond essence. How can something as nice as almonds be turned into the vileness that is almond essence (ie - marzipan juice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Almond essence is vile. Anything aniseed is the same...
    And cinnamon. aka pencil shavings flavour.

Worst cocktail I ever tasted was a Black Gold... sambuca with cinnamon schnapps. Yeuck!

Coffee the drink I can't take either. Just tastes burnt to me. I like it in cake or sweets though.

Love coriander, ginger, cucumber and celery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Marzipan & mushy peas.
    I hate all marzipan I have tasted, there must be some decent one I would like though, with no artificial stuff in it, since I love almonds.
    Forgot one - almond essence. How can something as nice as almonds be turned into the vileness that is almond essence (ie - marzipan juice)
    Its nothing to do with almonds, just like vanilla essence, vanilla extract is the good stuff, and pricey, I think they can still legally call essences extracts, so the rule of thumb is if its cheap its chemicals. They are just synthetic chemicals which some people reckon tastes like the original, and tastes vile to others. I hate some strawberry essences but some are OK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can't stand almond 'flavour'. I HATE the smell of almond things and can barely tolerate almond flavours. I'd eat a macaron or a cherry bakewell, but I'd never ever go near marzipan or an almond tart or anything.

The nuts themselves are alright though, funnily enough.

I think a lot of people make too much of the genetic dislike to things.
    The only one's I've heard of are coriander and cucumber but I think alot of people who just don't like coriander assume they are genetically predisposed to not liking it. I say this because I absolutely hated fresh coriander up until my mid twenties - now I love it. Same with olives.

I really hate the taste of dill and hate when it's not mentioned on menus.

I can't abide baked beans but it's just a hangover from a childhood pickyness - I love all sorts of beans and I like tomatoes but just cannot bring myself to eat tinned baked beans.

I can't be dealing with mushy peas either but I like frozen or fresh peas and pretty much all pulses.

Don't like celery either but use it in cooking all the time.

Almond essence and marzipan are evil - almonds are lovely, though.

I can't bring myself to like anchovies - keep trying but no luck!
    In fact I won't tolerate any tinned fish - love fresh tuna, though.

Blue cheese is another thing I keep trying but cannot get to like.

Not a fan of mushrooms.

Can't stand liver but love paté.

That list is much bigger than I thought - I'm a fussy git!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Goat's cheese. It leaves a horrible damp, moldy after taste for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Faith wrote: »
    I can't stand almond 'flavour'. I HATE the smell of almond things and can barely tolerate almond flavours. I'd eat a macaron or a cherry bakewell, but I'd never ever go near marzipan or an almond tart or anything.

The nuts themselves are alright though, funnily enough.
    Marzipan and almond essence are made with bitter almonds.... Ordinary sweet almond are just another nut

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some commercial mushy peas have very low fibre content, I guess they are the leftovers after they have extracted it for fibre supplements.

The almond chemical in the essence is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzaldehyde

Hate the stuff, love almonds though. I remember we always had "almond fingers" in the house and it used to piss me off that I hated these cakes with no other cakes about. I used to say they shouldn't be allowed call them almond fingers. Now I have the new name, Benzaldehyde Fingers, a horrible name that suits them perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Can't do anniseed flavour... Never liked fennel or dill but kind of coming round
    Avidly hate hate fenugreek ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I think the genetic mutation makes you taste cucumber as really bitter though, not just watery.
    I thought the mutation made you taste cucumber as if you were eating something soaked in perfume rather than something savoury and fresh green. Either way, I love cucumber and cucumber relish or chutney which I find hard to find in shops. Ballymaloe used to do a nice one but it disappeared years ago.

What I dislike, make me feel ill and find practically impossible to swallow even for politeness:

Coriander - it tastes soapy and vaguely perfumy to me and dominates all other flavours in a dish. I had my first really enjoyable Indian type meal in Taunton recently - very light on coriander, if any. It was a Nepalese rather than Indian retaurant.
    Squid and octopus - hate the texture but like the flavour.
    Whatever type of seed that was used in "seed cake" or "seed loaf" years ago. My Granny used to love that. It may have been carraway seed.
    Porridge, tapioca, semolina, rice pudding etc - it's a texture thing again. I really regret not being able to eat porridge.

Never tried locusts or insects of any type. I'd certainly give them a try though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That strong seed is caraway alright. Awful stuff. I class it with sambuca and other anise flavours like dill and fennel. I am ok with fennel when it's very very mild, the bulb/vegetable rather than the herb. It doesn't reek of the anise then.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Really not a fan of onions or garlic. I don't mind if they're well-cooked in say a pasta sauce or something along those lines, but I hate them in any more "raw" form than that. It's such a pity because they're both in so many things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Can't eat Pate , years ago place I was working, the farmers wife bought it and presented us with it at tea-time. Thought it was Ok. Spent the rest of the evening inside a 6000 gallon tank welding in outlet taps. Sick as a dog that night . Now I know perfectly well that it was caused by poisoning by the diesel funds burning off inside the tank, but never touched pate again.
    Cannot stand carraway either. Mother used to put then in soda bread. Hate the taste, also they look exactly like mice droppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Not a fussy eater by any stretch but HATE guacomole!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

1966 wrote: »
    Not that I doubt you, but there's a world of difference between the slop you buy in the shop and the stuff you make yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Cheese... Ugghhh
    Cucumber
    Parsley
    And Lettuce (people say there is very little taste, I detest it!)

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Cheese... Ugghhh

I hated cheese for most of my life but over the last 7 or 8 years I've come to love many cheeses. Still can't be dealing with blue cheese, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Still can't be dealing with blue cheese, though.

Blue cheese is a funny one for me. I love them in dressings, dips and soups. In their own form, no way. The texture of the mould against my tongue is just gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Don't like celery either but use it in cooking all the time.

Same, hate it raw but it disintegrates in stews and sauces cooked for long enough and mingles with other flavours so am happy to use it in this context. Extra veggie in a meal too which is no bad thing.

On the almond extract thing, I'm confused about it myself. I like it but is that what extracted almond oil tastes like? And if so, why don't almonds taste like that? :confused:

EDIT: nevermind, twas all explained above. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

1966 wrote: »

Get out. Now.

:p:pac:

Advertisement