Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your least favourite flavours?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Blue cheese is a funny one for me. I love them in dressings, dips and soups. In their own form, no way. The texture of the mould against my tongue is just gross.
    I like blue cheese but I think there is a big problem with people just using too much of it in recipes. Less is more people!
    Similarly with goats cheese, there are lots of different types of goats cheese, some are mild and some are that really strong smelly socks flavour! I have noticed in Ireland that you only seem to get the really strong stuff in restaurants!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Another one taste I find disturbing is black olives. I swear tapenade is the devil's caviar.
    I love green olives though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I like blue cheese but I think there is a big problem with people just using too much of it in recipes. Less is more people!
    Have to disagree there. I hate it when I order something in a restaurant that claims it has blue cheese in it and you can barely taste it. Same goes with recipes ... I usually put in at least twice the amount if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Another one taste I find disturbing is black olives. I swear tapenade is the devil's caviar.
    I love green olives though.

that's cause most black olives are rubbish quality.
    Try some purple Kalamata olives

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that's cause most black olives are rubbish quality.
    There was a program on channel 4 showing how they turn green olives black with chemicals to do it on the cheap. Think they used caustic soda to do it.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    There was a program on channel 4 showing how they turn green olives black with chemicals to do it on the cheap. Think they used caustic soda to do it.

Lovely.

I do eat Kalamata olives too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought caustic soda had to be used to make the olives edible? (ie you can't eat olives off the tree, they have to be treated).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Lovely.

I do eat Kalamata olives too

Kalamata's aren't cheap ... (and they're not all that black either )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Kalamata's aren't cheap ... (and they're not all that black either )

Yeah I was responding to beer's post earlier. They sure aren't cheap but they're not nasty like black olives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm really not a fan of goats cheese or artichokes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I genuinely can't think of a flavour I hate. Have a couple of things that aren't my favourite, but don't think there's anything I have tasted that I ever spat out and would say I hate it.

I read all the posts here and got hungry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I genuinely can't think of a flavour I hate. Have a couple of things that aren't my favourite, but don't think there's anything I have tasted that I ever spat out and would say I hate it.
    I'm the same as you .. there are some things that, given a straight choice between them and something else, I'd not eat out of choice, but nothing that I can think of that I positively dislike enough to refuse to eat.

I was a bit of a fussy eater when I was a kid, but my parents didn't entertain that at all, and I was one of the "you don't leave the table until you've finished everything on your plate" generation. Not like my nieces and nephews who seemed to get individually tailored meals even if it meant cooking 4 or 5 different things every mealtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Celery. Even the smell of it makes me near sick. Disgusting food of Satan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Olives, marzipan, glacé cherries, capers, celery, honey (smells like feet), aniseed, and while I like oats, I hate the texture of porridge. I dislike the texture of beans too and always leave them out of my chilli con carne!

• Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Aniseed. Absolutely vile.

It's the only flavour that actually makes me gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

olives, not mad on turnip either

awec wrote: »
    Aniseed. Absolutely vile.

It's the only flavour that actually makes me gag.

That's gas, I don't mind aniseed once cooked, but the mention of 'sambuca' makes me gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Aniseed, Olives, Coconut... all been mentioned already but aniseed really has the power to make me puke on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Yous are all just plain wrong or mad... lovely lovely aniseed, olives, blue cheese (the bluer the better), celery, coriander - these are all food of the gods.

Except the person who mentioned turnips. I totally agree with that one.

Actually I didn't like coriander leaf for years but got a taste for the leaves in amongst a green salad and now can't get enough of them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aniseed flavour, though I like liquorice and aniseed balls, just don't like aniseed flavour spices.
    Rum flavour, I like rum but rum and butter toffees are disgusting
    Olives - olive oil is fine, but olives make me gag

• Advertisement

• Celery. Even the smell of it makes me near sick. Disgusting food of Satan!

I can handle small amounts of it in stews and so on, but raw celery makes me gag. It's one of the only foods I've hated since childhood and have never been able to force myself to enjoy.

I used to feel the same about green olives but I now devour them by the jar load. Mmm.

Ooh I thought of another one - marmalade. Gak!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Lamb
    Liver
    Marmite
    Talleggio cheese (smells like Athlete's foot, and I love stinky cheese!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

cucumber.

Everything else I enjoy eating. Bizarre how this benign plant tastes disgusting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Cucumber and liver. And the smell of lamb chops ewww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

leahyl wrote: »
    olives, not mad on turnip either

Both if these.

Well, turnip mashed with other root veg is nice, but on its own? Bleurgh. I never add it to Irish stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Dolbert wrote: »
    Ooh I thought of another one - marmalade. Gak!

Dolbert, what is wrong with you?!
    Marmalade absolutely fabulous, as long as it's not that jelly like stuff (old time irish, etc) The stuff you but in a large tin, and add sugar and boil your self is the business.
    mug of coffee, 2 slices toast with crunchy peanut butter and marmalade.......breakfast of champions!

Dolbert, what is wrong with you?!

Marmahate Syndrome :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I hate marmalade too. Ever so slightly made me dislike Paddington Bear for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just been reading the thread, it is just so amazing that the same foods/flavours are there again and again, and they are the ones I do not like either!

Coriander
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Uncooked peppers,
    Aniseed

Why do so many have a total distaste for these, and yet onions and garlic are so strongly flavoured? And yummy BTW.

Weird.

Advertisement