Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain, how to avoid

• 07-02-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Simple one here and no doubt a common one but does any one know off a good pain killing tablet or cream-spray that well help deal with getting a tatt on the chest back or neck, as last one I had done on my chest nearly caused me to pass out and while the Tattooist was very understanding the embarrassment was huge... thanks. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My chest tattoo hurt like hell too, but just gritted my teeth and bared it. My back wasn't as bad imho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

standard painkillers have the opposite effect as they thin out your blood and actually make it hurt more. There is a painkiller which doesn't do that which people have used for tattoos but I forget the name of it. (sorry) It's not any of the usual over the counter ones though.

Best thing to do is get a good nights sleep, eat well before you get it done and be as warm as you can. If you're tired, hungry or cold I find the pain threshold is very weak when getting a tattoo done.

What ever you do, don't look at the clock on the wall. The pain of watching time move backwards while your getting tattooed is unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

on the note of food, i found it great having heaps of food to nibble on, as well as keeping my energy and threshold up, it was also a small distraction to take my mind off it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Glucose all the way, be it the lucozade tablets or the drink but they are great for it. your best idea is try stay relaxed and focus your mind on something else, i found music was good. I've a pretty low pain threshold so just do what you can. Have a laugh and a joke with your artist, bring a friend with you and chat with them, just try take your mind off it and it will be easier, trust me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ya just gotta man up and take it I'm afraid, Unless the piercer is going to inject a local anesthtic into you any numbing ****e is just a placebo effect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

got one on me chest a few days ago and it was fair sore. Just concentrate on your breathing and ya wont feel it as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

I went through about 10 lollies getting mine done, worked very well!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

No pain,no gain! ie.if you dont take the pain you dont get the tat!
    ps.I never got a tattoo but would like to.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Your doctor can prescribe EMLA cream....

Local anaesthetic cream... You plaster it onto the area an hour to an hour and a half before your appointment, cover it with the clear plaster provided, and you'll be fine!...

This cream's VERY effective... People on Heamodialysis use it to deal with the needling... Good luck!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No pain,no gain! ie.if you dont take the pain you dont get the tat!

lol, I don't think you realise just how painful it can be so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jippers87

Eat well before you go and have a couple of chocolate bars to hand.

Oh, and if you are a woman, don´t have it done the week following your period as your pain threshold tends to be lower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

^ ^ ^ Don't you mean the week before? :confused:

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Enjoy... the first is always the best. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Unless the piercer is going to inject a local anesthtic into you any numbing ****e is just a placebo effect

That well be the day... now their a thought, may be should become a dentist and zap myself. :cool:

Darthvadar wrote: »

Local anaesthetic cream... You plaster it onto the area an hour to an hour and a half before your appointment, cover it with the clear plaster provided, and you'll be fine!...

This cream's VERY effective... People on Heamodialysis use it to deal with the needling... Good luck!...

Now this is something I need to look in to.... thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Around the turn of the 19th century, according to The Washington Post, via Modblog, people used cocaine in tattoo ink to tattoo their eyes and skin. You could try that? :D

Disclaimer - don't actually do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Darthvadar wrote: »

that was used on me whan i was a cchild and i was terrified of needles :P works wonders although artists say it makes the skin a nightmare to work on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i don think you need a prescription to get that cream

when i was getting my nipple pierced i was given the name of an anesthetic creme and told i could just go in and get it i never did though

also my mate just got a mauri on his side and had to stop half way threw the first session and when he went back the second time he went to the chemist and got an anasthetic creme that he put on beforehand pretty sure he didnt get a prescription

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

when i went into get my first tattoo the guy (Rob in COlourworkz) told me about this numbing cream u can get, its great, but u do bleed more as it stops the blood from cloting or something? But theres defo creams that u can get over the counter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

A grown adult should be able to sit for 1 to 2 hours of tattooing, anywhere. Must everything come easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I dunno why people try to go for that kinda thing. Yes its sore, but its generally bearable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I dunno why people try to go for that kinda thing. Yes its sore, but its generally bearable!

ye my forearms were very bearable but i can imagine people having trouble with even that and i can definitely imagine it being pretty tough on the more sorer areas like rib cage

personally i think the pain is kinda part of it but i dont care what anyone else does

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

I'd say try the cream - I have got two tattoos and I would have loved to have heard about the cream beforehand, I'd say the lower back area is the sorest place to have tattooed I could feel it all the way up along my back ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

When I got a cover up tatt done on my tummy last year the tatt artist used a spray to numb the area. I'm really sorry but I can remember then name of it, but I know he ordered it in from the states.

I'm usually not bad with pain, I've sat through a few hours of tattooing before, but tattooing my tummy was completely different. For me it was unbearable. The spray worked really well. The artist told me you could only use it after you started tattooing not before like you would with the cream.

I can pm you the name of the tatt shop if you wanna ring and check what the spray is called:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

non mancore people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Kya1976 wrote: »
    When I got a cover up tatt done on my tummy last year the tatt artist used a spray to numb the area. I'm really sorry but I can remember then name of it, but I know he ordered it in from the states.

I'm usually not bad with pain, I've sat through a few hours of tattooing before, but tattooing my tummy was completely different. For me it was unbearable. The spray worked really well. The artist told me you could only use it after you started tattooing not before like you would with the cream.

I can pm you the name of the tatt shop if you wanna ring and check what the spray is called:)

Yep this is really good, I was getting a large rib piece done at the last convention and it helped A LOT. Was worth the stick I got on here ;)

May have been this, the name Vasociane rings a bell and it was in a blue bottle like the one linked here....... http://cgi.ebay.com/VASOCAINE-4oz-Tattoo-Piercing-Supply-Numbing-Pain-Spray/290389506446

As quoted aboved the spray only works after the area of skin is broken e.g. after the tattoing has started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

vangoz wrote: »
    Yep this is really good, I was getting a large rib piece done at the last convention and it helped A LOT. Was worth the stick I got on here ;)

May have been this, the name Vasociane rings a bell and it was in a blue bottle like the one linked here....... http://cgi.ebay.com/VASOCAINE-4oz-Tattoo-Piercing-Supply-Numbing-Pain-Spray/290389506446

As quoted aboved the spray only works after the area of skin is broken e.g. after the tattoing has started.

Yup Mr vangoz I'm pretty sure thats the same spray I was talking about:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

the cream stuff is good , but only works so much. I used it on my shin but it doesn't stop any pain when the tattoo is being done over the bone , pain still isn't that bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

The best advice I've read is the "eat food and stay warm". I had a 2 hour session last Sunday after a bowl of cornflakes. It was fcuking freezing and hurt much more than the first tattoo. I found the pain getting stronger as I got hungrier. After I left the shop I was shivering with the cold walking back to the car. It felt like it was -20 degrees to me. When I got home I think I went into shock and felt like I had the flu. It all subsided after I managed to eat and raise my energy level again.

Lesson learned though. Eat well and stay warm. Raise your energy level beforehand.

• Advertisement

Quattroste wrote: »
    The best advice I've read is the "eat food and stay warm". I had a 2 hour session last Sunday after a bowl of cornflakes. It was fcuking freezing and hurt much more than the first tattoo. I found the pain getting stronger as I got hungrier. After I left the shop I was shivering with the cold walking back to the car. It felt like it was -20 degrees to me. When I got home I think I went into shock and felt like I had the flu. It all subsided after I managed to eat and raise my energy level again.

Lesson learned though. Eat well and stay warm. Raise your energy level beforehand.

Yes I get what you say, a good few people think its the best way around it and ye i know what you mean about the shivers,,,!!!:)

Advertisement