Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Spiking? (Every 60 seconds)

• 07-02-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

So I use a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter. It comes with a software, I noticed I had 30 second lag on that during online gaming. I read it was because of Windows Zero config searching for networks. I disabled it from the Services menu and still get lags. I then used the Windows Zero config and now I lag every 60 seconds, so a slight improvement. Any tips on getting rid of it for good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

Had the same problem's as you til another boardsie recommended this in the gaming forum. It disables that windows background scan sp should stop that periodic lagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Thanks but it hasn't helped. I'm actually using the Windows Zero Config default software atmo instead of my adapters 3rd party software, maybe thats why it isnt working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ramza wrote: »
    So I use a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter

There's Your problem. I've never had any luck with Belkin, terrible rubbish

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

its a persistant problem on vista, and despite whatever you read, its not fixable unless you lan it up.

Windows 7 does away with the issue, thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    There's Your problem. I've never had any luck with Belkin, terrible rubbish
    Well, that, and/or usb dongles. These ones at work I have run monitors on - they spike like nuts. and thats the connection tool that it uses, not the driver - but i cant get it to hold a connection without the utility program in XP. pain in the asses they are.

However I do reccomend getting a PCI Card Wireless installed. They would presumably be much more stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Got the problem fixed. I just needed to actually disable the windows zero config AFTER it has connected. Who would of thought of that? One would think that would cause a loss in internet connectivity. I got a batch file on startup whcih automatically disables it from the services menu on startup after it connects. No more lag spikes now and game drops.

I'm not experienced enough to make a proper statement but now I've solved this problem I don't see why USB is a bad thing. I get max DL speeds at all times, no fluctuations or anything. Never DCs etc. All is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

its a persistant problem on vista, and despite whatever you read, its not fixable unless you lan it up.

Not true. It's just heavily dependent on the drivers your device uses, which is why there is no one single fix for it. There are a bunch of different tools out there designed to disable the background scan.
    Ramza wrote: »
    I'm not experienced enough to make a proper statement but now I've solved this problem I don't see why USB is a bad thing. I get max DL speeds at all times, no fluctuations or anything. Never DCs etc. All is fine

Offhand USB has better throughput but PCI has better latencies. I'm not sure how noticeable the improvement in latency is though, I think it varies from machine to machine depending on the mobo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not true. It's just heavily dependent on the drivers your device uses, which is why there is no one single fix for it. There are a bunch of different tools out there designed to disable the background scan.

Bleh to all of it. I spent weeks, no MONTHS trying to find a universal fix for it. LANning it was and always will be the best fix.

Advertisement