Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Koreans in UCD?.. in Dublin?.. IN IRELAND?

• 07-02-2010 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I'm Andrew. I am currently a Korean-American student studying abroad at UCD. It's been almost 3 weeks since I arrived to Ireland, and I'm enjoying the Irish setting and culture very much! So far, I've met a lot of people, and I made many friends. One thing that kind of surprised me was although I've met a handful of Asian people, none were Korean nor Japanese! they all seemed to be Chinese. I was hoping to meet some Korean people, and possibly find a Korean Catholic church? haha Does anyone happen to be Korean here or know of any Korean people? Any Korean Catholic mass that you know of? I'd appreciate help!

I created a Facebook group called "Korean Social Association (KSA) Ireland" to build a small Korean network, and here's the link is: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...1674443&ref=mf
    Whether you're Korean or not, if you have any interest in the Korean culture, please feel free to join!

Andrew!~

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

We know there are Korean Christians around, since they have been on the UCD campus before, scaring the heck out of people. Is the "World Mission Church" Catholic? (Evangelism of any sort is very unwelcome at UCD, so I hope that's not your intention!)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sirchang

bnt wrote: »
    We know there are Korean Christians around, since they have been on the UCD campus before, scaring the heck out of people. Is the "World Mission Church" Catholic? (Evangelism of any sort is very unwelcome at UCD, so I hope that's not your intention!)

Hey bnt, I appreciate the warm welcome. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough regarding my denomination. When I said "Catholic church" I didn't mean an Evangelic church: I simply meant a Catholic church.. I guess these are one of the few instances that proves how making generalizations isn't the most accurate form of reasoning. Anyhow, regardless of my religious affiliation, I started this thread hoping to find Korean students, if any, in UCD or through someone from UCD. So bnt, if you happen to know any, be sure to let me know! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I can honestly say after doing my degree in UCD, I've never once met a Korean person. Regards mass, there's an RC chapel on campus and one opposite Donnybrook bus depot. Other than that, I've never heard of a "Korean Catholic Church" in Dublin. I don't think bnt was making generalisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Welcome to UCD.

There's a relatively high Asian population in the computer science building. Maybe hang around there for a bit?
    Comp Sci also run an exchange program with a Japanese university I believe, so it's likely enough, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

betafrog wrote: »
    They're from Kazakhstan

Who are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

betafrog wrote: »
    The asians you were referring to in Computer Science.

UCD has a Kazakh population?
    Freaking. Class.

I have never met a Japanese or Korean person in Ireland. Mind you I've never asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sirchang

Thanks for the inputs guys. I've been invited to a Korean restaurant in the City Centre this week so, I'll try to play it by ear from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

they do.japanese and korean - they have language exchange students to ireland for 1 semester every year.is just that they have intensive classes everyday in the language center so chances is low for you to meet them. they usually stick together as a big gang:D

or in rare(happened randomly) occusion,you can find a few exhange arts student from japan (for 1 year).i met a jap girl back in 2008 1st semester as i can recall :P

if you are not doing arts or language it is very unlikely that you come across any of these jap/korean students.or they dont do language exchange anymore - i am only sure about what i said above from 2006-2008 June.

Advertisement