Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old pony...cushings?

Options
  • 07-02-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Ok, my pony is now 16 years old. I don't ride her much anymore, and when I do, it is just for hacking, as she has had a bad leg injury in the past.
    In more recent years, her coat has become a lot thicker, and even slightly curly in parts. She also doesnt lose it as easily in the summer. I'm wondering how common it is for ponies to retain their hair as they get older, or could it be likely she has cushings? Now, when i look at photos of horses with cushings, her coat is nowhere near as bad...it is only slightly curly by her legs and sometimes on her neck.
    She got lamintis for the first time this year, and also got a hoof abcess a few months ago. I know a weaker immune system due to cushings can increase the chance of abcesses, but she's never had great hooves and has had drop two or three times before.
    Also, laminitis I know can be related to cushings, however, due to lameness last year, and hence lack of exercise and her hatred of the indoors, she put on a lot of weight suddenly, and got laminitis. Fortunately we got it quick, and she's okay now.

So yeah basically, I'm just wondering, it it possible/not uncommon that as a pony will grow older, they hold onto their hair more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

It's difficult to say, you should consult your Veterinary Surgeon as a first resort, he can take some blood and give you a pretty definitive answer.

What you say about the winter coat is interesting because you also say this animal hasnt been ridden as much lately. When animals aren't in work, their wintercoat will always hang on longer than it typically would into Summer simply because of thermoregulation and less grooming/ stabling. Combine that with an ageing animal and it isn't particularly unusual.

Laminitis and drops...again yes indicators of Cushings, but you also mention that the animal has put on weight. That isn't typical for Cushings. You don't mention anything of the pony's drinking and urination habits - a high frequency of both would be very clearly noticed, particularly in the housed pony.

it's impossible for anyone here to say it's likely or not, based on the information, and as always it's better to have the vet out to take bloods and examine the pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Hey, thanks for the reply.
    I plan to ask the vet to take some blood tests.

As regards to urinating and drinking water, they don't seem to have increased.

I hope it is just that she's getting a bit older and not being exericised as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Once upon a time, before cushings was recognized, it was called simply "old horse disease". It is common for older horses and in particular ponies to develop cushings, and/ or to become hypothyroid at they get older.

Your horse is showing classic signs of cushings. Cushings can be treated and controlled fairly well by using drugs, proper diet for a cushings horse, etc. Talk to your vet about it. Some vets, particularly here in Ireland, are not well informed about cushings and hypothyroidism. If they pooh pooh your concern and don't want to test, or tell you "all horses" get it when they get old, or other blarney, try a different vet.

There is quite a lot of information on the internet about treating cushings horses. It's always a good idea to check thyroid levels on horses that appear to be cushinoid, as the two often appear together. Treating low thyroid is simple, just some powder in the feed every day. Untreated, it will usually cause death eventually, either by a bad case of laminitis, seizures, sickness caused by the lowered immune system, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

Please note this forum is a means of discussion only and proper veterinary advice should be sought by the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

my 25 year old has the same symptoms as you say. her hair is really curly and her feet grow rapidly. she also drinks alot.

some people suggest you clip their chest just to allow them to breathe because their coats are so heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Consult you vet for a proper diagnosis. There is a horse in the yard where I am thats 23 and he has a heavy hary coat it progressively got heavier over the past few years we just keep him clipped out year round as he gets uncomfortable otherwise. We keep a rug on him but can easily remove that if he gets warm whereas the coat suffocates him a bit.
    Re immune system echinacea or oregano oil are brilliant for giving them boost and helping healing rates but again I would consult you vet and check your horse out before giving them anything

Sorry for bringing it up again, but I was wondering, when a pony does have cushing's, do they lose their winter coat at all? Or does it just not shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

in the case of the horse I am talking about no the coat does not shed. I have to clip him next week again as he just does not shed and gets way too warm

Hmm ok. Because my pony is shedding like mad now. Good thing is she seems to be losing a bit more than last year so far, as she is back into exercising.

Advertisement