Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Palin says 2012 presidential bid a possibility

• 07-02-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/07/palin-says-2012-presidential-bid-a-possibility/?fbid=DmYmPQpMZk8

(CNN) - Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin says she would consider a run for president in 2012 if the situation was right for her family and the nation.
    In an interview recorded Saturday and broadcast on "FOX News Sunday," Palin said she would run "if I believed that that is the right thing to do for our country and for the Palin family."
    "I think that it would be absurd to not consider what it is that I can potentially do to help our country," Palin said, later adding: "I won't close the door that perhaps could be open for me in the future."................

maybe we will get more of this :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

attachment.php?attachmentid=104751&stc=1&d=1265690759

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On the plus side, she'll probably be a lot better at public speaking by then.

On the down side, she's going to have a hell of a lot of baggage, and I can't see many independents voting for her.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

There is a sincere possibility that she could win, she seems to have a real "grass roots" following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

censuspro wrote: »
    There is a sincere possibility that she could win, she seems to have a real "grass roots" following.

Only from one kind of grass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

If she got the nomination, that would hand victory to the democrats on a silver platter. Her supporters are idiots of the highest order, but they are not a majority in America, even in some red states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Oh please let her run. Imagine the debate between her and Obama, it would be at least ten times as brillaint as the Couric interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

. Her supporters are idiots of the highest order.

The only idiots of the highest order right now are the Obama supporters that bought the Hope and Change mantra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

How's about we stop flinging around idiotic terms like "idiots of the highest order" in some petulant exchange folks? Please consider that an instruction, it doesn't do anything good for this discussion.

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Never say never, politics is an incredibly fickle game, if Obama has the misfortune of having to deal with a few controversial issues over the next few years he could lose some ground to Palin and her appeal to the grassroots.

That being said, I can't see her coming out on top in the PR campaign, Obama did after all play one of the best PR campaigns in political history. Palin would inevitably ruin it for herself with that mouth of hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think she is too much of a love her or hate her candiate to be president to be honest and too far right for the moderate vote. I personally don't think she would come out of the republican primarys.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Just because I happen to think this one woman has no place running a city hall doesnt mean everybody that voter for her is a tool.

I never said that everybody who supports her is a tool, nor will I ever say something like that. I was merely stating that I think it's impossible to have a discussion about Palin without a lot of tempers flaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

kev9100 wrote: »
    Well, what type of discussion did you think was going to happen in a thread like this? Palin is an incredibly divisive figure, who provokes strong reactions on both sides. While I admit ChocolateSauce's comment was somewhat crass, stuff like that like that is always going to happen in thread's like this.
    A rather less personal one than this. As the forum charter specifies issues with moderator decisions to be taken up with the moderator by PM rather than on-thread, feel free to do so. I've deleted the side discussion. No problem discussing the mod post with you by PM at your whim Kev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

I wouldn't want to be within 1,000 miles of Hilary if Sarah Palin became the first female US president. :eek:

Cheeble-eers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I would add that mainstream Republicans see her as a loose cannon, and although for solidarity reasons they don't say so, they think she isn't qualified. They rightly perceive her as damaging to their party's image both at home and abroad.

I never said that everybody who supports her is a tool, nor will I ever say something like that. I was merely stating that I think it's impossible to have a discussion about Palin without a lot of tempers flaring.

Its also impossible to do the same in regards to Obama so the point is very moot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

She is a nut job of the highest order but amazingly a lot of people like the tea party etc in the US will buy into her waffling.

I do wonder though if this tea party would have her as a candidate while the Repubs put up their own candidate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I doubt she can unite Republicans enough to have a truly solid platform to work from.

FatherTed wrote: »
    She is a nut job of the highest order but amazingly a lot of people like the tea party etc in the US will buy into her waffling.

I do wonder though if this tea party would have her as a candidate while the Repubs put up their own candidate...

Alot of people bought into Obama's bull****. Should I think lowly of them like certain people here think of Conservatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Alot of people bought into Obama's bull****. Should I think lowly of them like certain people here think of Conservatives?

Obama's bull****? Examples please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

LOL she will tear the republican nomination process in shreds damaging every one in the party. She is an idiot worse than bush who would be walked over by "her" appointments to office. A soft touch who you only would say yes to and go off do your only thing anyway. Would be a bad move for the world and the US. Rommney should and will get the nomination.

Will be good stuff on youtube though for a bit if she did run but couldn't imagine her getting too far.

HELL she didn't even finish her term as governor FFS. Reminds me of jackie healy rae for some reason :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Her hand read: "Energy ... Tax cuts ... Lift American spirit." Beyond the craic and embarrassment, Sarah's hand tells all...

Reminds me of the old film "A Big Hand for the Little Lady" (1966). Unlike card sharp Mary (played by Joanne Woodward), who pretended to be unaware of how to play the game in order to sting others out of their money on the card table in this old western film, Sarah Palin is playing the opposite role in her not so subtle bid for 2012; i.e. pretending to be someone who is qualified for the most powerful office in today's world, when in fact she is unaware of how to play the game.

The immature grade school mentality crib note of Sarah Palin's that was most telling was "Lift American spirit." Isn't this an elaboration of the obvious that doesn't need a note written on your hand during these troubled times of recession and war? ...Something that you would know was important without having to have a cheat note written on your hand? Or rather did she need to be reminded of her scripted "Lift American spirit" lines while playing the role of someone pretending to be sensitive to the needs of Americans today?

You can say a lot of bad things about Obama, but at least he can get through a simple Q and A session without notes written on his hand. Look, there's even evidence.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/01/obamas-qa-with-house-republica.html

Obama's bull****? Examples please.

Are you for real? It must be nice living in blissful ignorance. :rolleyes: His broken promises have been outlined enough in theses threads and in the news. You want to pretend nothing's wrong but don't expect us to take you seriously.

You can say a lot of bad things about Obama, but at least he can get through a simple Q and A session without notes written on his hand. Look, there's even evidence.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/01/obamas-qa-with-house-republica.html

So what 90+% of his speeches are withe a teleprompter when he doesn't have one he stutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

I doubt Palin has the support Fox likes to push that she has. She is very devisive and would turn off moderates.

So what 90+% of his speeches are withe a teleprompter when he doesn't have one he stutters.

Of course his speeches are with a teleprompter, every politicians speech is with a teleprompter! My point was that Obama can answer a couple of questions without cheating!

By the way, did you even watch his Q and A? Or do you not like watching anything that does'nt promote the narrative that you find appealing?

Of course his speeches are with a teleprompter, every politicians speech is with a teleprompter! My point was that Obama can answer a couple of questions without cheating!

By the way, did you even watch his Q and A? Or do you not like watching anything that does'nt promote the narrative that you find appealing?

This from a guy who posts articles from boldprgoressives.com as Gospel. :rolleyes:

This from a guy who posts articles from boldprgoressives.com as Gospel. :rolleyes:

There's point in dragging that up again.

There's point in dragging that up again.

Don't accuse people of watching alleged biased material when you do as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Are you for real? It must be nice living in blissful ignorance. :rolleyes: His broken promises have been outlined enough in theses threads and in the news. You want to pretend nothing's wrong but don't expect us to take you seriously.

I'm not reading another thread. I'm reading this one. I'm also not ignorant. Hence the need to repeat myself. Examples please.

I'm not reading another thread. I'm reading this one. I'm also not ignorant. Hence the need to repeat myself. Examples please.

To be fair, this is a very recent thread; hardly worth the effort to regurgitate here. Besides to do so would just invite a duplicate discussion of the one thats already here for viewing and contributing to.

As for the Palindrome, these Daily Show Sattires should be required viewing, especially if you havent seen the video of her reading her hand, or heard about this Rahm Emanuel "Retard" Business, to which its highlighted very clearly that Mrs. Palin has a dubious double-standard on what is and what isnt allowed to be said. "Oh, pfft. Rush Limbaugh said it because he was trying to be Sattirical" She said [paraphrased]. "But Rahm Emanuel is an evil muslim bastard who should resign for using the R word." [I may be exaggerating on the muslim stuff, but thats the gist of it].

Amerigasm
    "That Hopey Changey Stuff"

The R Word

Sarah Palin's Hand-O-Prompter "Sarah Palin is a ****ing Retard" - Stephen T. Colbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

JohnMc1 banned.

Guys, if you can't discuss topics here without flaming each other, please don't post.

There have been enough warnings about conduct and posting style issued, I won't be issuing any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

That's an understatement. I find Palin's creationist tendencies fairly worrying. It would be a dark day for science if a proponent of creationism were to become the next president of the United States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

To be fair, the media has laid into her very badly and she has ALOT more experience than Obama did when he took office. Obama has been also pretty poor as prez so far. The people of Alaska thought she was a great Governer.

She has had a few slip ups but no more than Obama's 57 state remark.
    I think she'd be more satisfactory than Obama (so far) or Bush but not by much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

She'd never get the GOP bid.

Tim Pawlenty will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Those are surpising figures but im glad they included the bridge: "that God played a guiding hand in shaping evolution"

Which is about all I try and get Creationists to admit in a debate anyway.

As for the hand thing its just a late night funny. This Rtard business is almost political though. Rahm Emanuel refers to Liberal Activists as "F*cking Retarded" during a Strategy Session; She calls for his resignation; Rush Limbaugh goes on his show saying "Actually, they are Retarded"; Palin defends Limbaugh.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/03/emanuel-meets-shriver-f-ing-retard-comment/

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201002070004

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/02/09/2010-02-09_stephen_colbert_defends_sarah_palin_on_colbert_report_calls_her_a_fing_retard.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Notice how the defenders of palin respond to criticism of her by pointing to the flaws of others?

They'll never actually answer the criticism but rather respond by pointing the finger somewhere/anywhere else. "well so-and-so does such-and-such"...

As though it makes it okay.

Palin's done. The Todd Emails were the final end of any presidential aspirations she may have had and the "hand writing" just confirms it. Neither was a huge story, however they will be if she tries to run for anything in the future.

PomBear wrote: »
    The people of Alaska thought she was a great Governer.

Huh? You have some link to back that claim up?

Was this before the people of alaska convicted her of ethics violations?

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »

Em..... her lowest approval rating was 68%, most her term was in the 80s

http://www.adn.com/3182/story/542179.html

Notice how the defenders of palin respond to criticism of her by pointing to the flaws of others?

They'll never actually answer the criticism but rather respond by pointing the finger somewhere/anywhere else. "well so-and-so does such-and-such"...

As though it makes it okay.

Palin's done. The Todd Emails were the final end of any presidential aspirations she may have had and the "hand writing" just confirms it. Neither was a huge story, however they will be if she tries to run for anything in the future.

Well how about you point out the advantage of others?

I pointed out she has done greatly supported in Alaska, she was Governer, a MUCH tougher job than senator. She has more prospects than most potential candidates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I lived there for 9 months (before and after the ethics case) and the vast majority of Alaskans I met all over the state spoke very highly of her. I know I didn't poll anybody but it's food for thought nonetheless.

Well she's not exactly a beloved figure by the Continental US..... or, Hawaii I'm guessing! :pac:

I pointed out she has done greatly supported in Alaska, she was Governer, a MUCH tougher job than senator. She has more prospects than most potential candidates

Hello? You've got to be joking...

Yeah it may be tougher but did she actually complete a term? No. it turned out she pathologically corrupt.

She was convicted of ethics violations and then resigned!

She didnt even FINISH THE TERM!

No, because my point was that its rhetorically immature to avoid answering the criticisms of palin by pointing at the failings of others.

Hello? You've got to be joking...

Yeah it may be tougher but did she actually complete a term? No. it turned out she pathologically corrupt.

She was convicted of ethics violations and then resigned!

She didnt even FINISH THE TERM!

Where and when was she convicted?

And you don't need a term to rate a politician, she served long enough to be judged on her political performance

No, because my point was that its rhetorically immature to avoid answering the criticisms of palin by pointing at the failings of others.

No it's used everywhere in debating and politics and it's used in the context to say the person/party wouldn't/hasn't have done what they opposing party did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Erm, the latter proves that intelligence has nothing to do with ones ability to pronounce words? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

There is footage of Sarah Palin on youtube from a few years back when she was governor. In it she is at a mass and giving a speech saying the American troops are in Iraq doing gods work and it is his will that they are over there. This was brought up in an interview with her where she was asked did she believe it was a holy war. She never answered the question but side stepped around it leaving utter confusion as to what she had just said.

She is extremely religious and extremely right wing , as dangerous as those radical muslim clerics who she actually unknowingly sits in the same political sphere with. She actually believed that the Iraq war was 'gods will' and the invasion of Iraq was what God wanted. Radical Muslims also think they are doing gods work. I have read extracts from her book, one of my favourite lines, 'if god didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat'. Is she promoting cannibalism. I am made of meat, she could eat me to. She is not intelligent, not smart, somebody who is stuck in creationism theories is too ignorant to become president.

Also she throw words around like socialist, communist, to describe Obamas presidency and doesn’t even know what they mean. How is Obama a socialist when he didn’t nationalise the big banks but instead gave them access to trillions of dollars and the banks have been able to block congress as to where this money has actually gone. Yeah Obama is a true socialist, that is what Sarah Plain would let you believe. I put on a bet two months ago that Obama would be one term and she’s the next president, just so when this dark days comes I will have won money. I am not a fan of Obama, far from it, but this woman, god help us all if she comes into power.

• Advertisement
Advertisement