Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero Info Required Please......

• 08-02-2010 12:01am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

guys just about to swap onto Meteor Billpay, currently on Meteor PAYG.
    really considering the Hero but was just wondering if its the most up to date version? you know theres probably an updated iPhone on the way, so was wondering if its the same situation with the Hero.

I heard theres a 2.1 update iirc, but is that just an update as such and not a newer phone?

Also, is the hero good?

my main requirements in a phoner are :

bluetooth
    Wi-Fi
    Internet connection (purely personal and browsng, not required for work or anything)
    emmm thats it really :D

im gona get the 250mb add on for 4.99 per month too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The Hero's replacement - HTC Legend - should be officially announced next week at barcelona, with a release following in March. If you're worried about the OS, HTC have said that they're going to release the 2.1 update with sense UI for the Hero.

http://www.htcheroblog.com/2009/12/07/htc-legend-htc-hero-successor-to-launch-in-q1-2010/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The Hero's replacement - HTC Legend - should be officially announced next week at barcelona, with a release following in March. If you're worried about the OS, HTC have said that they're going to release the 2.1 update with sense UI for the Hero.

http://www.htcheroblog.com/2009/12/07/htc-legend-htc-hero-successor-to-launch-in-q1-2010/

just what im after, thanks. im fairly clued up on iPhone releases but the Hero baffles me! now im stuck between a rock and a hard place in deciding what one to wait for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'd get the 1gb allowance if you plan to make use of it... 250 is just a bit too limited.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I picked up my new Hero yesterday and its a fantastic handset by all accounts,i simply love andriod.
    My sister whos been an avid iphone fanatic was mighty impressed.
    I didnt opt for any data add on as ill probably only surf while at home.
    Wifi works flawlessly with my eircom broadband router.
    Im so impressed i doubt ill ever move away from an andriod phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Efioanaes wrote: »
    I picked up my new Hero yesterday and its a fantastic handset by all accounts,i simply love andriod.
    My sister whos been an avid iphone fanatic was mighty impressed.
    I didnt opt for any data add on as ill probably only surf while at home.
    Wifi works flawlessly with my eircom broadband router.
    Im so impressed i doubt ill ever move away from an andriod phone.

android does allot of stuff in the background, so if you are not signed up to a data plan, make sure you disable the 3g/data network connection on the phone...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bluefoam wrote: »
    android does allot of stuff in the background, so if you are not signed up to a data plan, make sure you disable the 3g/data network connection on the phone...

Yep ive done this already thanks.

Quick question or two if i may, on the htc support page it suggests changing from 3G to 2G to save battery, im guessing this is still a wireless network for online but is just a less battery intensive app?
    Ive disabled both btw and only have wifi on.

Also id like to update to the latest software for the phone if indeed i need to, how do i check this?
    Also do i need to do this via my pc or can i just do it via the handset itself?
    Im running windows 7 on the pc, just some snippets ive been reading sugest syncing to W7 pc can be messy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gumbo wrote: »
    just what im after, thanks. im fairly clued up on iPhone releases but the Hero baffles me! now im stuck between a rock and a hard place in deciding what one to wait for!

it will be months if not years before its released here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gumbo wrote: »

bluetooth
    Wi-Fi
    Internet connection (purely personal and browsng, not required for work or anything)
    emmm thats it really :D

im gona get the 250mb add on for 4.99 per month too.

Bought a Hero recently. Love it!

No file-transfer by Bluetooth although somebody said on here that 2.1 will address this.

Camera has no flash but other than that, I can't fault it. Looks great too.

Use WIFI all the time but I'd be careful of 250MB package as I've found myself using the mobile network more than I thought. 1GB only cost me an extra fiver on top of the (50 quid) package and by all accounts, you'll be crucified if you go over the data allocation on the Meteor mobile network. Something like 2c a KB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Quick hint for the HTC users. To permanently disable 3G, at the phone screen type
    *#*#4636#*#*

which will bring up a debug menu, if you click "Phone Information", and then select GSM Only from the "Set preferred network type", this will turn off your 3G.

Obviously, flick it back on whenever you want. Very handy if you notice that your handset is slowing down because you're moving in and out of 3G/2G coverage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement