Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

normally happy bearded dragon

Options
  • 08-02-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

heya guys i have a normally very happy bearded dragon, but recently his gone very hostile, i got a chinese water dragon a few ago but its nowhere near the beardie any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

How old is the Beardie?
    Is the Water Dragons enclosure visible to the Beardie?
    Is the Beardie eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

hiya mate thanks for taking the time to have a look
    How old is the Beardie?-3 years old

Is the Water Dragons enclosure visible to the Beardie?-it was but i thought it was disturbing him, so i actually gave the water dragon to my cousin

Is the Beardie eatin?-yeah eating lots lol like he hasnt lost any of his habits he just seems to have gotten very aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

What is he doing that you think he is agressive ?

Thats strange,
    have you any other animals in the house?

Has it gotten aggressive to you, or is it attacking the glass in the enclosure?

If it's gotten aggressive to you it will more than likely come down to either the husbandry is off somehow and it's making him irritable, or he's ill.
    Bear in mind they typically go into brumation now (not all do, but a majorty of them should have slowed down), this is very similar to an parasitic infection, which would obviously make him ill and make him act out.

When was the last time you had a fecal done?

his actually attacking i mean mouth open as wide as possible tail ready to lash out anytime we try to handle him now, he only had a fecal done about 3 weeks ago i was thinking brumation, but he is just really aggressive the only thing thats different is we had a baby(me n the girlfriend not me and the beardie) sorry couldnt resist, um back on subject we had a new baby his 7 months old but he has never even been near the beardie

• Advertisement

Hhmm.. Strange,
    The only thing I can think of is that he has some kind of infection/illness.
    If he were younger I'd have suspencted that it was puberty (they get pretty stroppy then), but he's too old for that.
    You've not changed the layout in the enclosure, changed substrate or anything? Sometimes little changes in their habitat can set them off

nope havent changed anything maybe late puberty?

No, it's defo not late puberty..
    Puberty is around 1 year, you said yours is 3.. So that rules that out.

I honestly can't thaink of what it might be then.
    Seriously grasping at straws here, but, are you 100% it's a male?
    when you approach to pick him up, is it forom above or in front?

The reason I ask these now is that, the only thing I can think of now is that it's either really a female who is gravid (with eggs, they can actually lay eggs without ever being with a male, obviously these will be infertile), or that when you try pick it up that you do it from above, which scares it (the whole, prey thing).

Oh, by the way, when it beards up on you, don't be afraid and pull away, pick i tup anyway, it'll teach him that you're not afraid of him and he'll start to get used to you again and be more approachable.

hmm ill double check all of that thanks man

Advertisement