Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book for girl (9) about confidence

Options
  • 08-02-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Looking for suggestions for a book for my little sister (9), so thought I would try asking the parents on this forum as I haven't had much luck in bookshops.

I want a book that is either a workbook/story book etc (very advanced reader) that DOESN'T go on an on about d'oing your nails and becoming a princess' etc. Any 'self-help' books I have found for girls 8-12 are all about this, and I want one that talks about inner beauty, not about 'how to tell if a boy fancies you'. While I understand that often feeling good about how we look can affect our confidence levels, I want to find a book for girls that talks about assertiveness, happy in ones own skin etc. Am I making any sense? :confused:

Just could really do with one. I know there is 'Ruby Rubbish' which is more of a play therapy tool but I'm looking for one she could read herself (also very advance reader and past the fairies and princess books, and doesn't like High School musical or this vampire craze)

Suggestions gratefully appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

http://www.eason.ie/look/9780007143771/Loser/Jerry-Spinelli

now, this isn't a self help book, but it might be encouraging to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi there, does she like the monsters and magic type books?
    I know they aren't self help books but my 12 year old has always loved books with a strong, smart heroine in them, and I always thought it was a good thing to read stories where girls have adventures and do things for themselves. She also hates High school musical and the twilight crap and all the girlie books.
    She loves Dianna Wynne Jones books, Howls moving castle would be a good start, its about girls going out on adventures, discovering what they want and saving the day. Lots of magic and wizards in it but not the cute fairy type. Would be fine for a more mature 9 year old.
    There's also the Skulduggery Pleasant books, bit scary maybe, my daughter was just 10 when she read the first(also advanced reader).
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks a million, no she doesn't really like thos magical books, wizards and magic powers or whatever...more of a classic Mallory Towers, Famous Five and even some of those ballet books. Started reading some of those Jacqueline Wilson books as well but not overly impressed (very snooty reader !)

The Loser book looks interesting, I'd fancy a read myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

At around that age my parents started letting me read books from their bookshelf. I didn't realise it at the time but I was only being let read the ones that they deemed suitable (i.e. no / little sex or excessive violence). The others I was told I 'wouldn't like' or were 'rubish'.

Maybe you could lend her books you've already read? If it's confidence you're trying to build, reading 'adults' books would be a bit of a confidence boosts to most 9 year olds...

"Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen might be a bit too much of a boys book but it's a classic of early teenage literature.

Advertisement