Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ok, ill be honest and admit that as I was reading that I was thinking more along the lines of Itunes than the Mac OS.....

It is taken from the I-Tunes agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I came on to my laptop today and the start menu thing is all different and I can't see the writing (pic below), I didn't change any settings or that but can someone please tell me how to fix it? The menu was always tight to the left as well..

This is the picture, it's too big to post here (and I can't resize :o).

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I got that before, cant remember how to fix it... log out?

BTW: I have a purple themed desktop too! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I got that before, cant remember how to fix it... log out?

BTW: I have a purple themed desktop too! :L

It's called lovebirds, I don't think yours is the same! :L

Edit: The buttons at the bottom of the start menu are hidden so I can't log off! :/

Edit again: Yaaaaay for ctrl, alt, delete! :D And I got it fixed! :D

It's called lovebirds, I don't think yours is the same! :L

Edit: The buttons at the bottom of the start menu are hidden so I can't log off! :/

Edit again: Yaaaaay for ctrl, alt, delete! :D And I got it fixed! :D

I only learned all these shortcuts recently (like last week) :0
    super + d is so handy, same for ctrl + alt + L

I use the power button to log off tho :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

If you guys need to use Windows for something do you dual-boot or run a virtual machine? I have it on dual-boot at the moment but I'm installing XP on a virtual machine. Hopefully its faster and works better than having to reboot the computer. If it's grand, I guess I'll delete my XP partition.

Dual boot should be waaay faster, its nit that bad to dual boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Conor108 wrote: »
    If you guys need to use Windows for something do you dual-boot or run a virtual machine? I have it on dual-boot at the moment but I'm installing XP on a virtual machine. Hopefully its faster and works better than having to reboot the computer. If it's grand, I guess I'll delete my XP partition.
    if you want to play any sort of games on it, don't bother with a virtual machine. it can't access the graphics card afaik so they won't work. learnt that the hard way :/

I found the sims 3 couldnt use my graphics card either on Ubuntu via Wine. Odd tbh as its not emu´d >.<

The only thing I ever need Windows for is games. If you don't play PC games, you can get rid of Windows.

• Advertisement

Nah it's not for games! Theres a program called MKV2VOB for converting certain video files so they'll play on a ps3. Can't get it to work with Ubuntu so I just pretty much need it for that! Oh and to fix my phone, can't get Nokia Ovi suite on Ubuntu either. I don't know, I think I'd just rather have it and not need it than the other way round..

Ovi Suite? D:
    What do you need that for? Doesnt PC Suite work?

Ovi Suite? D:
    What do you need that for? Doesnt PC Suite work?

Can't remember my security code lolz. Hoping I can just re-install the firmware or something from Ovi suite or whatever its called

You need a full windows install to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Is this where the smart peoples be? :o

Could someone explain how this works in stupid people language, my brain cant comprehend the complicated-ness of it... but I need to make one as a part of my BT Young Scientist entry :eek:
    I just dont get how twiddling magnets over coils of wire makes energy magically appear :confused:

http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2010/03/09/build-small-scale-hydroelectric-generator/

Any sort of help in understanding this would be muchas appreciated :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Indiego wrote: »
    Is this where the smart peoples be? :o

Could someone explain how this works in stupid people language, my brain cant comprehend the complicated-ness of it... but I need to make one as a part of my BT Young Scientist entry :eek:
    I just dont get how twiddling magnets over coils of wire makes energy magically appear :confused:

http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2010/03/09/build-small-scale-hydroelectric-generator/

Any sort of help in understanding this would be muchas appreciated :o

Any wire with an electric current (electric field if you want to get technical) moving through a wire will generate a magnetic field that goes in a circle around it like so.
    electromagnetism-magnetic_field.gif

If you coil a wire, particularly around something with a low magnetic permeability like iron, you can increase this effect and create a electromagnet, like the ones used in scrapyards to lift cars.
    pelect2.gif

The inverse is also true, if you move a magnetic field through a coil of wire you will induce a current in the coil. In that motor, the rotor, or the part that spins, contains two magnets which when spun will create a moving magnetic field that will pass through each of the coils in the stator (stationary out part) inducing a current. Because the magnets have a north and a south pole the direction of the magnetic field will change as the rotor rotates, meaning the current induced in the coils will change direction. If you measure the current it will be an AC with a sinusoidal waveform like so.
    sinewave.gif

Can you give me any more background on the project, what are you trying to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Any wire with an electric current (electric field if you want to get technical) moving through a wire will generate a magnetic field that goes in a circle around it like so.
    electromagnetism-magnetic_field.gif

Right, this might confuse the topic, but I never got this... Why does the field go clockwise (as you look from the top of the diagram) and not anticlockwise? I asked my physics teacher last year and he said it was because that's what the right hand grip rule stated, but I wanted to know why it has to be clockwise and not anticlockwise? How do the electrons and stuff know what way is clockwise and which is anticlockwise?!

I had the same problem with Fleming's Left Hand Rule: 300px-LeftHandOutline.png
    Why does, say, the current travel as it does here, and not in the exact opposite direction? It's mutually perpendicular in both situations, loik! :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Right, this might confuse the topic, but I never got this... Why does the field go clockwise (as you look from the top of the diagram) and not anticlockwise? I asked my physics teacher last year and he said it was because that's what the right hand grip rule stated, but I wanted to know why it has to be clockwise and not anticlockwise? How do the electrons and stuff know what way is clockwise and which is anticlockwise?!

I had the same problem with Fleming's Left Hand Rule: 300px-LeftHandOutline.png
    Why does, say, the current travel as it does here, and not in the exact opposite direction? It's mutually perpendicular in both situations, loik! :confused::(

I'm probably not the best person to answer this with any confidence, try the physics forum if you want a better answer, but if the H vector was facing the other way than Ampere's circuital law wouldn't be satisfied.

09c075625f4b2d0b0bed94b9b964e09d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Totz just pwned a c) part in HL Maths from past exam papers on my first go. So proud... *wipes tear*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I'm probably not the best person to answer this with any confidence, try the physics forum if you want a better answer, but if the H vector was facing the other way than Ampere's circuital law wouldn't be satisfied.

09c075625f4b2d0b0bed94b9b964e09d.png

But then you could ask, is Ampere's Law defined that way because the field goes clockwise or vice versa? It could just be some intrinsic property of current flow.

As above you'd probably be better off going to the Physics & Chemistry forum to find an definitive answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Conor108 wrote: »
    Nah it's not for games! Theres a program called MKV2VOB for converting certain video files so they'll play on a ps3. Can't get it to work with Ubuntu so I just pretty much need it for that! Oh and to fix my phone, can't get Nokia Ovi suite on Ubuntu either. I don't know, I think I'd just rather have it and not need it than the other way round..

ffmpeg through the command line will convert videos for you

not the hardest program to use either :)

WinFF which can be found in the Software Centre is a graphical front end for it as well but I've never used that but I'll give it a bash sometime... (quick google and a ffmpeg search in the software centre found it - google is always your friend with Linux (and Windows for that matter))

if one Windows program doesn't work in any Linux distro then just assume there's another program that does the same job for you and probably better going on my experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I had the same problem with Fleming's Left Hand Rule:
    Why does, say, the current travel as it does here, and not in the exact opposite direction? It's mutually perpendicular in both situations, loik! :confused::
    I assume it's just chosen arbitrarily and used as a convention, such that the opposite direction denotes some opposing action. The same kind of deal as cross products.

Handbrake is great on Ubuntu too, shouldn't be too hard to make a PS3 playable movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

This is probably the most ridiculous question to ever grace this thread, but here goes...

I've a letterhead I need to use in my college email (hosted by gmail) and I can't figure out how to do it! It was sent in an email as an attachment which I've saved in google docs and downloaded to my laptop in a Word file. Any ideas on how to actually use it? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

This is probably the most ridiculous question to ever grace this thread, but here goes...

I've a letterhead I need to use in my college email (hosted by gmail) and I can't figure out how to do it! It was sent in an email as an attachment which I've saved in google docs and downloaded to my laptop in a Word file. Any ideas on how to actually use it? :/
    Can you not just copy/paste in underneath the header in the file?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Question for any C/C++ programmers here:

Is there a handy way of writing a programme that will search for words in a text file? I haven't done any programming in a while (and it's not a college assignment either) so I'm not too concerned about efficiency, I'd just like for it to work.

So far I can read a text file into the programme, print it on screen and/or save it to an array. What I'd like to be able to do next is to search for specific words in that text.

I figure what I'll need to do is save the words I'd like to find in a separate array of strings, and then somehow compare the elements in that array to the one with the entire text file in it. However, apart from massive nested for loops or something, I don't know how to go about this.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

The boiling point of water is much higher than that of ammonia, despite the fact that each ammonia molecule could form one more hydrogen bond than a water molecule could...because of the greater electronegativity of oxygen compared with nitrogen, thus the hydrogen bonds in water are stronger than those in ammonia.

The boiling point of water is also higher than the boiling point of hydrogen fluoride, but this time the greater number of possible hydrogen bonds for each water molecule is a more significant factor than the stronger hydrogen bonds in hydrogen fluoride brought about by fluorine's greater electronegativity.

OK, so I could learn this off and regurgitate it if I ever need to but I dislike that, so, I'm asking any Chemistry geniuses (or anyone with a passing knowledge, seeing as this is probably very simple)...why?? Why does the number of possible bonds work for the hydrogen fluoride example, but not for ammonia? The electronegativity difference between oxygen and nitrogen and oxygen and fluorine is almost the same, so that explains nothing, I think...

I haaaaaaate learning things off without having a clue what they mean, and I like when everything is all well-explained and clear in my mind, otherwise I just won't remember it. So errr yeah, anyone care to shed some light on this? Although I think I managed to confuse myself more by typing that out...

Has anyone here ever competed in the IrEUSO?
    I got picked for it and I want to do the biology section, but how much am I expected to know? :eek: :o

Indiego wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever competed in the IrEUSO?
    I got picked for it and I want to do the biology section, but how much am I expected to know? :eek: :o
    I know three guys who got into the older one, and one for the younger one. Bet at least one of them will be going to Lithuania. Why did you waste your brains, shadow, why? :(
    Slow Show wrote: »
    The boiling point of water is much higher than that of ammonia, despite the fact that each ammonia molecule could form one more hydrogen bond than a water molecule could...because of the greater electronegativity of oxygen compared with nitrogen, thus the hydrogen bonds in water are stronger than those in ammonia.

The boiling point of water is also higher than the boiling point of hydrogen fluoride, but this time the greater number of possible hydrogen bonds for each water molecule is a more significant factor than the stronger hydrogen bonds in hydrogen fluoride brought about by fluorine's greater electronegativity.

OK, so I could learn this off and regurgitate it if I ever need to but I dislike that, so, I'm asking any Chemistry geniuses (or anyone with a passing knowledge, seeing as this is probably very simple)...why?? Why does the number of possible bonds work for the hydrogen fluoride example, but not for ammonia? The electronegativity difference between oxygen and nitrogen and oxygen and fluorine is almost the same, so that explains nothing, I think...

I haaaaaaate learning things off without having a clue what they mean, and I like when everything is all well-explained and clear in my mind, otherwise I just won't remember it. So errr yeah, anyone care to shed some light on this? Although I think I managed to confuse myself more by typing that out...

Haha, electronegativity. Much love for it. Not sure, *wrong*

• Advertisement

I know three guys who got into the older one, and one for the younger one. Bet at least one of them will be going to Lithuania. Why did you waste your brains, shadow, why? :(

Im young enough for the younger one, but I still got picked for the older one -_- Fml :L Im at a disadvantage XD
    Would be nice to go to Lithuania, but who am I kidding, not gonna happen :rolleyes:

Advertisement