Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Indiego wrote: »
    Yessums, which means that I'll be hanging around this thread alot more, usually asking stupid questions :L

When's it on this year? If I recall correctly, there was a theory section and an experiment section. Not much you could study for, the experiment wasn't a mandatory experiment, we were just given a bunch of equipment and told to prove something(refer to dog picture above:pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Cian A wrote: »
    When's it on this year? If I recall correctly, there was a theory section and an experiment section. Not much you could study for, the experiment wasn't a mandatory experiment, we were just given a bunch of equipment and told to prove something(refer to dog picture above:pac:)

28th January :D
    What subject did you do it in?
    Im doing biology and from what Ive gather we dont do an experiment, but we have a paper based on an experiment.
    As for studying, Im pretty much learning a L.C bio book, just to have myself covered for the theory, mainly because I have a genuine interest in it and am kind of using it as an excuse to do the course, and also because I would actually really love to get to go to the finals and I wanna like maximise my chances :D

28th January :D
    What subject did you do it in?
    Im doing biology and from what Ive gather we dont do an experiment, but we have a paper based on an experiment.
    As for studying, Im pretty much learning a L.C bio book, just to have myself covered for the theory, mainly because I have a genuine interest in it and am kind of using it as an excuse to do the course, and also because I would actually really love to get to go to the finals and I wanna like maximise my chances :D

Physics. If I had the learning mentality of people like you!...
    Good luck, would be class to get a free trip from it.

Physics. If I had the learning mentality of people like you!...
    Good luck, would be class to get a free trip from it.

Well I think my learning mentality is isolated to maths and science, plonk any other subjects book infront of me and Ill run for the hills :pac:
    Thanks :) I discovered today that if I do get through Ill loose €350 because it clashes with my (non refundable) school trip to Spain -_- Ah well, tis worth it :L

Well I think my learning mentality is isolated to maths and science, plonk any other subjects book infront of me and Ill run for the hills :pac:
    Thanks :) I discovered today that if I do get through Ill loose €350 because it clashes with my (non refundable) school trip to Spain -_- Ah well, tis worth it :L

Confident are we?:P

Another thing, Physics was twice as popular as Chemistry, Biology was twice as popular as Physics. By that logic if you're any good at Chemistry it'd be the wise one to go for, could be a 4x better chance.

(Also I just remembered the reason I can't do it is because it's 16 years and under, duh:D)

• Advertisement

Confident are we?:P

Another thing, Physics was twice as popular as Chemistry, Biology was twice as popular as Physics. By that logic if you're any good at Chemistry it'd be the wise one to go for, could be a 4x better chance.

(Also I just remembered the reason I can't do it is because it's 16 years and under, duh:D)

Not particularly, but a girl can dream :pac:

Im fairly ****e at Chemistry tbh, though I was looking at the list of people in each catagory from last year and it seemed pretty evenly spread, with about 60 people in each group :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'm working my way through this, its really long but its good! The first 5 minutes is the main point I guess

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Hey (fellow) geniuses, well my laptop is starting to get fair slow and take ages to load things/turn on/etc and wont install/update anything new I was wondering would I be best off get it cleaned and shizz and get an external harddrive to keep all my crap on or after 2yrs and a couple months is my laptop considered bet? Coz like All I do is internet/itunes/word, like I dont use it for anything fancy...
    And I <333 this and dunno if ill ever be able to replace it until like... college

Views please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

deise_girl wrote: »
    Hey (fellow) geniuses, well my laptop is starting to get fair slow and take ages to load things/turn on/etc and wont install/update anything new I was wondering would I be best off get it cleaned and shizz and get an external harddrive to keep all my crap on or after 2yrs and a couple months is my laptop considered bet? Coz like All I do is internet/itunes/word, like I dont use it for anything fancy...
    And I <333 this and dunno if ill ever be able to replace it until like... college

Views please? :)

Can we have some specs? Windows key and Pause|Break button brings up system specs, then just give us a screenshot of them

Can we have some specs? Windows key and Pause|Break button brings up system specs, then just give us a screenshot of them

I dont know what a pause|break button is :(
    Well after googling is it the one that has a little square with lines and an arrow? :L Beside the ctrl one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Well after googling is it the one that has a little square with lines and an arrow? :L Beside the ctrl one?

Look at the top of your keyboard, beside Print Screen button, well that's where mine is :pac:

Or you can just click computer in the start menu and system properties along the top...

It's usually along the top row of the keyboard somewhere.

If you can't find it, just go to Control Panel, Click "System & Security", and then click "System".

Yaww I just went into properties(Now you know the level youre dealing with anyway..)

Is it this thingy you wanted?
    10xg5qw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Should her product key code not be removed? .-.

Grindylow wrote: »
    Should her product key code not be removed? .-.

Should it?
    I dunno what it is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Should it?
    I dunno what it is??

I dunno whether someone could steal it but it activates windows

Grindylow wrote: »
    I dunno whether someone could steal it but it activates windows

Well its gone now :P

okey.. That laptop's actually on the good end of the scale. There's not a whole lot doable on the RAM or Processor side, but if you wanted a stupidly fast computer and you only do everyday stuff, you could swap out your harddrive for an SSD.

The only downsides are the price (You'd be looking at the bones of €80 for a 64GB SSD) and the small storage space on a relatively cheap SSD. you'd have to move all your documents/movies/lolcats to an external harddrive (or use your laptop harddrive as an external). mechanical harddrives have gone up in price due to a shortage, though, so I'd hope you have an external on hand, rather than having to buy one.

okey.. That laptop's actually on the good end of the scale. There's not a whole lot doable on the RAM or Processor side, but if you wanted a stupidly fast computer and you only do everyday stuff, you could swap out your harddrive for an SSD.

The only downsides are the price (You'd be looking at the bones of €80 for a 64GB SSD) and the small storage space on a relatively cheap SSD. you'd have to move all your documents/movies/lolcats to an external harddrive (or use your laptop harddrive as an external). mechanical harddrives have gone up in price due to a shortage, though, so I'd hope you have an external on hand, rather than having to buy one.

Okay so you think an SSD is the way to go? Coz I wanna install the updates for all these balloons that keep popping up when I start the laptop >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Vista...there's your problem ;) I can't remember if Dell provide reinstall discs or not, but a fresh install of Vista (or better yet upgrade to windows 7) would give your laptop a new lease on life.

General tips:
    Try to keep at least 10% of the hard drive free. Low space really affects performance.
    Download CCleaner and go to Tools -> Startup and either uncheck anything that doesn't need to be loaded or post a list of what's there if you're unsure what to do. Also run the Cleaner and Registry tabs (watch what's ticked in the Cleaner tab, sometimes it might get rid of stuff you need)
    Uninstall any unnecessary programs (like Ask.com toolbar etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Deise... you really don't need an SSD :P Your RAMs fine, your processors fine.
    Vista is a bit meh, I wouldn't touch it, but could be worse.

Run Ccleaner as Roland says, failing that reinstall Windows.

External hard drives are well worth getting, although now is not the best time to purchase them what with the devastating aftermath of the Thai floods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Deisei I'd recommend a harddrive defrag if you decide to keep your current harddrive. It basically reorders the files on your system so all the windows files are kept together in the first blocks of your hard drive. It takes ages though so running it overnight is advisable. The company that make cleaner also make a defrag program which I have used in the past. [URL="http://www.piriform.com/defragglr] Link[/URL]

Am I dont know what to leave checked out of these :o
    2n99i1l.jpg

But like thanks everybody for all yee help! Much <3

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Deise, on that little menu on the left side, press Cleaner, and run it from there. Leave everything ticked, you can't do any harm using the programs (but your browsers won't remember your login usernames and passwords afterwards).

When you have that done you can probably run registry, I never do as I'm not sure exactly what it does - it probably isn't hugely important. Cleaner is the main thing!

Am I dont know what to leave checked out of these :o
    screeny<3" alt="But like thanks everybody for all yee help! Much <3" />

Just go ahead like that I guess. Be graaaand.

Also, in case your hard drives does go to ****e, do you have anything precious you'd like to keep backed up? Might be a plan to keep stuff in Dropbox or some other cloud based file storage (Box.net give you 5GB free storage...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Leave everything ticked in the registry tab, it won't make any difference. The Cleaner tab doesn't need to have everything ticked though.

Thanks everybody sooooo much for your help! Yee're all seriously so nice and helpful, and smart, really smart!

Im gonna try all this, cleaning and defragmenting and hopefully all will be cool! :D Already I can load hotmail, which I havnt been able to do in a while <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Thanks everybody sooooo much for your help! Yee're all seriously so nice and helpful, and smart, really smart!

Im gonna try all this, cleaning and defragmenting and hopefully all will be cool! :D Already I can load hotmail, which I havnt been able to do in a while <3
    Just be aware that defragmenting is a slow process so do not be surprised if it comes up with an expected time greater than 12 hours. It is likely it may even be closer to 20 so don't just jump into it. Plan for it at a time when you won't need your computer for a while.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Just be aware that defragmenting is a slow process so do not be surprised if it comes up with an expected time greater than 12 hours. It is likely it may even be closer to 20 so don't just jump into it. Plan for it at a time when you won't need your computer for a while.

Thats only if she has 10 GB of cache files and ten times that in pictures and videos tbf. You can always stop a defragment if its going to slow. If you do one every few months it should only take an hour or three each time. Shame that they didn't introduce a new filesystem or Ext2/3/4 support in Windows 8, defragging is a nuisance I'm glad I've almost forgotten.

• Advertisement

Since we're here.. Anyone have any experience with surface transducers? I'm debating getting some sort of battery powered mini-amp, and rigging it to two of them.

I'm not an audio or electronics nerd, though, so I've no idea which brand of amp to get, or even how large a transducer I'm going to need.

Advertisement