Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Shame that they didn't introduce a new filesystem or Ext2/3/4 support in Windows 8, defragging is a nuisance I'm glad I've almost forgotten.
    I heard they're introducing something called WinFS? Or is that some NTFS variant that still has nuisances like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Just be aware that defragmenting is a slow process so do not be surprised if it comes up with an expected time greater than 12 hours. It is likely it may even be closer to 20 so don't just jump into it. Plan for it at a time when you won't need your computer for a while.

Done in 2 hours! :)
    I think my sister did it back the start of the summer or something so it wasnt too bad!

Altho, are you meant to end up with less free space then when you started <.< I did have around 67GB free now its 50.9...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

deise_girl wrote: »
    Done in 2 hours! :)
    I think my sister did it back the start of the summer or something so it wasnt too bad!

Altho, are you meant to end up with less free space then when you started <.< I did have around 67GB free now its 50.9...
    If that happened, there must be lots of dead sectors in your harddrive or something which isn't good. But even so, I wouldn't have thought that would have reduced the detected size.

Is there a notable difference in boot-time or performance yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Download and run windirstat to see what's taking up space on your harddrive.

Since we're here.. Anyone have any experience with surface transducers? I'm debating getting some sort of battery powered mini-amp, and rigging it to two of them.

I'm not an audio or electronics nerd, though, so I've no idea which brand of amp to get, or even how large a transducer I'm going to need.
    Building a CMOY? I've no experience with them but would love to know how you get on with one if you do build one.

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    If that happened, there must be lots of dead sectors in your harddrive or something which isn't good. But even so, I wouldn't have thought that would have reduced the detected size.

Is there a notable difference in boot-time or performance yet?

Yea its loading things faster anyway, but this time when my itunes update failed it seems to have fucked the whole thing and it cant open..

Now I think its time to call a computer fixing guy :pac:

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea its loading things faster anyway, but this time when my itunes update failed it seems to have fucked the whole thing and it cant open..

Now I think its time to call a computer fixing guy :pac:

Itunes is f'ed or eveything is f'ed? If it is just itunes, try an uninstall/reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

^Yeah uninstall iTunes (which is an awful piece of software anyway) and reinstall before wasting money on a computer man. Money is hard earned these days :p

Or you could use foobar2000, Winamp or Songbird instead of iTunes. They all work with iPod and are way faster.

Ermmm it just mucked up my itunes but after doing this thing
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/16017192#16017192 I think I got it back :)

I still cant update my avg or windows thing tho.. But Im not gonna try them, it i going a bit faster and loads hotmail so that will most certainly keep me happy for now :P

• Advertisement

If you still can't update AVG (or windows thing?), then you still have a messed up laptop tbh :( I presume you've rebooted? And you ran Ccleaner? And a virus scan?

You could be looking at a reinstall of Windows, unless others have better ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I was trying to watch megavideo today and got this message saying "This player requires the access to 'local storage' where it saves the user settings. Please enable local storage as without this permission it cannot continue."
    It was working last night and I haven't done anything to disable local storage, and according to the Flash players settings panel I'm nowhere close to the storage limit. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Lawliet wrote: »
    I was trying to watch megavideo today and got this message saying "This player requires the access to 'local storage' where it saves the user settings. Please enable local storage as without this permission it cannot continue."
    It was working last night and I haven't done anything to disable local storage, and according to the Flash players settings panel I'm nowhere close to the storage limit. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Any chance that the browser you were using Megavideo in somehow uses a diffrent flash plugin to the one you checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Try clearing cache, cookies and restart browser.

You could always go to megaupload and download it and watch it that way. Just change the "megavideo.com" to "megaupload.com" in the URL and you'll get the download link for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Right click any megavideo video, select setting, slide slider to a larger number. How I fixed it for kongregate a million years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Any chance that the browser you were using Megavideo in somehow uses a diffrent flash plugin to the one you checked?
    I check the plugin from the same browser so I doubt it
    Right click any megavideo video, select setting, slide slider to a larger number. How I fixed it for kongregate a million years ago.
    First thing I tired, made no difference
    RolandIRL wrote: »
    Try clearing cache, cookies and restart browser.

You could always go to megaupload and download it and watch it that way. Just change the "megavideo.com" to "megaupload.com" in the URL and you'll get the download link for it.
    Just tried all that, made no difference and megaupload automatically redirects me to megavideo.

It's not a huge deal, I'm able watch megavideo in another browser it's just annoying. But thanks for help anyway guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Lawliet wrote: »
    I check the plugin from the same browser so I doubt it

First thing I tired, made no difference

Just tried all that, made no difference and megaupload automatically redirects me to megavideo.

It's not a huge deal, I'm able watch megavideo in another browser it's just annoying. But thanks for help anyway guys!

Try and find a link to Putlocker! It's a lot better, no timelimits either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Disappointed nobody recommended deleting system 32. Everyone knows it makes your computer run faster.

Here genuises..

We recently changed to Vodafone home phone and broadband here (we're with Eircom atm) and like how do I know when it's changed? I'm still on eircom broadband but and email told me I may need to ring them and cancel the broadband once it changes to Vodafone but like.. how do I know? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Grindylow wrote: »
    Here genuises..

We recently changed to Vodafone home phone and broadband here (we're with Eircom atm) and like how do I know when it's changed? I'm still on eircom broadband but and email told me I may need to ring them and cancel the broadband once it changes to Vodafone but like.. how do I know? :/

http://www.ip-adress.com/

It tells you there :P

• Advertisement

Yeah but like what if I'm both eircom and vodafone cos eircom haven't cancelled it and the eircom is overpowering the vodafone? :eek:

Yeah but like what if I'm both eircom and vodafone cos eircom haven't cancelled it and the eircom is overpowering the vodafone? :eek:

Just phone vodafone and see if it's been activated yet :pac:

Then phone eircom, we never had to phone and cancel though :/

Here genuises..

If you've an Eircom router, go here:
    http://192.168.1.254/
    and it should show your "user name", which is either vodafone@vodafone.ie or eircom@eircom.net.

At least, that's how it was for me.

Colm! wrote: »
    If you've an Eircom router, go here:
    http://192.168.1.254/
    and it should show your "user name", which is either vodafone@vodafone.ie or eircom@eircom.net.

At least, that's how it was for me.

That depends on the router I think.

Yeah it's on eircom@eircom.net atm.. but the Vodafone guy told me to change it to the vodafone settings once it changes which is why I'm really confused!

Assuming your router is like mine, to switch to Vodafone you need to do this:

Go to: http://192.168.1.254/indexExptCfgRES.htm?confConnRES.htm (bookmark it)

Change settings like so:

Username: vodafone@vodafone.ie
    Password: broadband
    Primary DNS Server: 89.19.64.164
    Secondary DNS Server: 89.19.64.36

Although I don't know, are you meant to do that now? :L Try it, if it breaks your internet, switch back to this
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: eircom@eircom.net
    DNS: (leave both blank)

Is that definitely the eircom password? :L Because I'm not even sure if the home phones gone to Vodafone yet.. it's so confusing :P

That's what it was for me, but apparently there are other passwords? ("broadband1" is another one I've seen) Hold up and I'll get back to you before you try it

EDIT: if it's "eircom@eircom.net", password will be the same. if it's just "eircom", password is "broadband1"

Yeah mine isn't long enough for eircom@blabla but it's the same size as broadband1 :P

• Advertisement

Lads, Colm! is a genius :D

Advertisement