Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it me or is AH filling up with Children and thanks whores?

• 08-02-2010 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed this? Back in time AH was about 70% General Discussion, 20% A great laugh and 10% idiots. Now it seems theres too many pointless, meaningless, stupid threads, or polls that attempt to be funny but really just waste my time. It's becoming a chore to flick through AH and find threads worth reading where once I read them all, many in full.

In other words, the place has got more childish and less serious. While I'm all for a bit of craic theres no reason why every thread has to have a quota of humour that's out of place because its just stupid or slapstick and unnessecary. Contributions like that are just too common.

I'm not attributing this to moderation or specific moderators, but the tone of the contributions in general.

At the risk of being hung out to dry, I must ask - I want the original AH back. Who does too?

BTW - I'm posting this to make a point, not to whore a whole pile of meaningless thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Wont let me thank twice :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not being smart, but I genuinely think AH is the same as ever. Actually it was probably more idiotic in the early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Perhaps the idiots are just louder, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

sdonn wrote: »
    Anyone noticed this? Back in time AH was about 70% General Discussion, 20% A great laugh and 10% idiots. Now it seems theres too many pointless, meaningless, stupid threads, or polls that attempt to be funny but really just waste my time. It's becoming a chore to flick through AH and find threads worth reading where once I read them all, many in full.

In other words, the place has got more childish and less serious. While I'm all for a bit of craic theres no reason why every thread has to have a quota of humour that's out of place because its just stupid or slapstick and unnessecary. Contributions like that are just too common.

I'm not attributing this to moderation or specific moderators, but the tone of the contributions in general.

At the risk of being hung out to dry, I must ask - I want the original AH back. Who does too?

BTW - I'm posting this to make a point, not to whore a whole pile of meaningless thanks.

I'd say your some laugh down the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If you were a mod what would you to change it?

I love AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I have noticed more pointless threads and grouchy n00bs TBH. Other than that the craic is still here when you're in the right company :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

You've said it all. Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Same thing could be said of the site as a whole, damn ireland offline wanting everyone
    to have broadband, there was a time most people found boards via college or working in some sorta IT related job but these says anyone who can use google will find this place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

IvySlayer wrote: »
    If you were a mod what would you to change it?

I love AH.

This is what I mean, it's not really something you can mod - the overall tone of the place is just more n00by and less constructive. Less ACTUAL craic and banter and more FORCED craic and banter, if you know what I mean.

I still love AH, theres a few characters that give me a good giggle on a regular basis. But there's a few who make me despair, too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've noticed more retarded polls, but besides that it's grand.

In fact, over the past couple of weeks I was just thinking that it had improved as of late.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

There's always been crap to trawl through in AH, it's just very easy to look back and remember the good threads

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This is what I mean, it's not really something you can mod - the overall tone of the place is just more n00by and less constructive.

I still love AH, theres a few characters that give me a good giggle on a regular basis. But there's a few who make me despair, too ;)

You can sit there moaning about how the old days were better in your opinon, but I really don't see a difference in AH much. Only it's gotten a little more PC. Although I've only been on for 3 years.

What do you define as the 'better days' 08? 07? 06?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Bonito wrote: »
    I have noticed more pointless threads and grouchy n00bs TBH. Other than that the craic is still here when you're in the right company :D
    Since you joined in Novemeber 2009:confused:

Im a noobie and even im here longer than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I remember when all this were just fields....

Since you joined in Novemeber 2009:confused:

Im a noobie and even im here longer than that!
    Yep, especially in the last couple of weeks there's been a lot of newbies not fully understanding what we got going on here :cool:

The misogyny and trolling used to be WAY worse, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yes I want the old AH back...... oh for the halcyon days of "yore ma" every 2nd post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

This thread needs a poll imo...
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Children? :confused:

I think it's your imagination OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I agree, but the serious threads are few and far between atm.

Unfortunately when a Mod locks those threads it will result in a Helpdesk thread that takes the Mods concentration over there rather than staying here.
    ( There are generally more replies to an AH Helpdesk thread ).

I can see that, but the users in general will post in whatever thread interests them.

Good question, and you are entitled to ask it.

• Advertisement

/shrug

You can't step in the same river twice AH goes through growing phases sometimes it's damn entertianing other time it's not.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You can sit there moaning about how the old days were better in your opinon, but I really don't see a difference in AH much. Only it's gotten a little more PC. Although I've only been on for 3 years.

What do you define as the 'better days' 08? 07? 06?

Honestly, I dunno. Just a subconcious noticing that threads are getting boringly repetitve and full of smartarse comments. Which is grand the odd time, but not in every thread.

Just wanna reiterate that overall AH is stil a great forum. Just i'm curious who feels the same way (although I should know at this stage getting a serious answer to a question is difficult!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dudess wrote: »
    The misogyny and trolling used to be WAY worse, in my opinion.

Says you, woman.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    /shrug

You can't step in the same river twice AH goes through growing phases sometimes it's damn entertianing other time it's not.
    I truly belive AH is what you make of it. If you don't like the children and trolling threads then stick to the ones you're interested. Make a thread which interests you. Commit to it. Overall, lets all just have a dam good ****ing time in here. :)

Says you, woman.
    Wrong thread, silly.

Put it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64366523#post64366523

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thaedydal wrote: »

You can't step in the same river twice

You can if it's denial.

*quota of humour that may be out of place because its just stupid or slapstick and unnecessary *

Bonito wrote: »
    I truly belive AH is what you make of it. If you don't like the children and trolling threads then stick to the ones you're interested. Make a thread which interests you. Commit to it. Overall, lets all just have a dam good ****ing time in here. :)
    Yep - and apply that to Boards in general.

brummytom wrote: »
    Children? :confused:

I think it's your imagination OP

Lol, yeah but some adults behave like children. Some kids behave like adults but I dunno if you've earned a place in that category yet! :P

Honestly, I dunno. Just a subconcious noticing that threads are getting boringly repetitve and full of smartarse comments. Which is grand the odd time, but not in every thread.

Just wanna reiterate that overall AH is stil a great forum. Just i'm curious who feels the same way (although I should know at this stage getting a serious answer to a question is difficult!)

I understand some of what you're saying. There is a trend to get a smartarse comment of 'This thread is ****' amongst other annoying things.

A lot of people complained about 'yore ma' and the mods stamped that out. I think if enough people want it, the forum will change.

• Advertisement

The repetitive stuff happens when you have been on the site long enough and know that certain topics come up in cycles either sparked by the weather, whats on the news or when enough ah posters haven't gotten any in a while.

You will always get someone new to the site come bounding in all bright eyed and eager to start a discussion on a topic which they haven't talked about in real life and think that it's the first time EVAR it's been done and the world needs here their special snowflake take on the topic when while it's new to them it ain't new to the internet or the site or AH.

Seriously it can get to the stage were you can predict how a thread will go on certain topics, but occasionally you do get some intresting fresh topics and new takes on things.

So it sounds like you just have to learn to start riding the waves of the site and when there is a lull go make your own fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Abigayle wrote: »
    I remember when all this were just fields....
    +1 Totally with you on this one...

Back in them old days when i joined we would be lucky to have 15 new threads a day in AH, which i could read in full and enjoy, these days its just a spamfest:( Thats not to say we havent had some legendary stuff in the last few years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

sign o the times... or more conservative?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Childish?
    Childish?
    I've a good mind to fill your shoes with runny porridge again. Teach you a lesson about maturity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Every forum or board on the internet used to be better back in the day.. It usually comes from the more established members on forums, who thinks to themselves "I was here first", and it was so much better "back then", when we used to have....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just more winge whores tbh.
    I remember when people were banally accused of being 'post whores'.
    I'm not sure wtf came before that.

The posts that bleat and whinge about post counts and 'thanks whores' are the ones who give a fúck, far too much of a **** in a pathetic - worst element of the playground way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

will someone please start an anti-catholic thread or something about over paid public servants for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I've noticed a fair bit more whinging...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I think the problem is simply one of numbers. When I first started posting there was more a community feel to After Hours as virtually every tread had the same people posting in them.

You got to know the personality of people through their posts because you would see the responses from the same people. So if you were going to respond to something people would know who you are (or at least who you are on boards) and you knew them so if you where going to say something at all you would want it to contribute to the tread or really believe that it was funny. There are so many people on now that nobody gives a crap about anyone else’s opinion and only hugely prolific posters or Mods are known or respected. (This is evident by the amount of times a Mod will say something ordinary on a tread and will receive numerous thanks from people.)

Also I find that most peoples reply’s here are now incredibly short to the point where a smiley face or rolled eyes is acceptable. Or that they will respond with something sarcastic like “Great tread :rolleyes: I’m so glad I clicked on this” I mean if you don’t find things interesting why add to the tread and boost it back to the top of the page for everyone else?

Anyway I still like after hours but yea I think it was better.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Just more winge whores tbh.
    I remember when people were banally accused of being 'post whores'.
    I'm not sure wtf came before that.

The posts that bleat and whinge about post counts and 'thanks whores' are the ones who give a fúck, far too much of a ****
    And the assumption that those with high postcounts get preferential treatment/are better liked/more included or whatever because of their postcount. Wtf? If you've a high postcount you're a regular, long-term user and therefore a known quantity - obviously you'll be received differently to someone with a low postcount.

Doc wrote: »
    I think the problem is simply one of numbers. When I first started posting there was more a community feel to After Hours as virtually every tread had the same people posting in them.

You got to know the personality of people through their posts because you would see the responses from the same people. So if you were going to respond to something people would know who you are (or at least who you are on boards) and you knew them so if you where going to say something at all you would want it to contribute to the tread or really believe that it was funny.
    The two things you're talking about as exclusive of each other actually appear to be the very same thing, in my opinion.
    There are so many people on now that nobody gives a crap about anyone else’s opinion and only hugely prolific posters or Mods are known or respected.
    Again, no different to how you describe the way things were back in the day. Are you suggesting someone who was a newb would have been embraced into the fold? When you're new here, nobody particularly notices you - it's not a deliberate policy of exclusion, just how things roll. We were all newbs at some point... then those who post regularly become known.
    (This is evident by the amount of times a Mod will say something ordinary on a tread and will receive numerous thanks from people.)
    I don't think that's a reality at all - very few people are so sad that they'd thank a mod just because of them being a mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There are new forums, a lot of threads and topics that would have been in AH before have migrated.

I don't think that's a reality at all - very few people are so sad that they'd thank a mod just because of them being a mod.

I think thats double-ended. Yeah mods do get more thanks than other posters, thats indisputable it happens all the time. Some people will pile on the bandwagon in a silly way and thank cause they see lots of thanks, but most will be more inclined to thank a pertinent point made by a mod because a mod is generally a longish-standing, well respected poster. If everyone thankes posts purely on the merits of the post we'd be laughing but it doesnt always work like that.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Every forum or board on the internet used to be better back in the day.. It usually comes from the more established members on forums, who thinks to themselves "I was here first", and it was so much better "back then", when we used to have....

This a 1000 times over.

In most work places I've worked in.
    In every place I lived as a kid, and every school I went to.
    And now boards, etc.

Absolute drivel.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Yeah mods do get more thanks than other posters, thats indisputable it happens all the time.

Thanks for showing your work. :D:pac::p

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Ya sellin?

I've got cash.

Of course.
    Top quality, not as good as it used to be, but ya know yourself.

Of course.
    Top quality, not as good as it used to be, but ya know yourself.

Oh I laughed, I laughed good.

It was just like old times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

The two things you're talking about as exclusive of each other actually appear to be the very same thing, in my opinion.

I agree I didnt mean to say they where exclusive of each other
    Are you suggesting someone who was a newb would have been embraced into the fold? When you're new here, nobody particularly notices you - it's not a deliberate policy of exclusion, just how things roll. We were all newbs at some point... then those who post regularly become known.

I am not sujesting that a newb whould have been treated like a regular poster no but due to the fact there were less people when I cane on here first they would be unlikely to be ignored even if they were actting like a dick and in that case he would be told pritty quick that he was. Now because of the size of after hours it cant be like that.

It is sad but people do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

70% General Discussion, 20% A great laugh and 10% idiots.

You are just getting old.

Everything loses the funnez when you get older.

Grumpy old men is a great show.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Are people really that worried about who is thanking who because of their status? Internet, serious business...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement