Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is an image drum?

• 08-02-2010 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

:confused: I need your help.

I've started a new job and I'm in charge of stationary orders. The girl I have taken over has left and no-one here knows anything about stationary ordering etc.

So, I checked ink levels on the printers to see if I need to order any and the ink cartridges appear to be about 80% full but the image drums are at about 20%. I have never come across a printer with an image drum before and have no clue what it is. Do these printers need both ink cartridges AND image drums? Because the image drums seem really expensive.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Oh dear they have thrown you in at the deep end!

About half way down this article is what you want to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_printer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Image drum is a part of the printer that takes care of the transfer of text/pictures onto paper.
    They wear out. Grey backgrounds on prints/copies is a good indication your drum is worn out. most printers will tell you to replace them though.
    Some need replacement by engineers, most of them you can do yourself.
    And yes... they are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

Thanks for all the info.
    Went ahead and ordered them. I hope they don't question the invoice!!!

Now for my own curiosity question - why do some printers need both cartridges and drums and others just need cartridges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you give us the model numbers of the printers in question then we can give you a more detailed answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Inkjet printers just require cartridges, as they squirt the ink onto the paper from the cartridges. They don't need drums.

Laser printers require drums as well, because they do things differently. Drums are expensive but don't require replacing as frequently as toner / cartridges.

Dot matrix printers use ribbons, so don't need either cartridges or drums, but the quality isn't great so they're not used as much any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

Thanks ITDept. It makes much more sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

RedNiamhy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info.
    Went ahead and ordered them. I hope they don't question the invoice!!!

Now for my own curiosity question - why do some printers need both cartridges and drums and others just need cartridges?

Some (smaller) laser printers use a cartridge that contain the drum and toner in 1.

Advertisement