Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examination in Doctors office for IVF enquiry

Options
  • 08-02-2010 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    I'm just wondering about examination in doctors office. I've had all the tests done and was confirmed with blocked fallopian tubes. My first time going to my IVF consultant my doctor took some details.(partner was told to stay at other side of curtain) Then i was asked to undress from waist down for internal examination. That was fine but when the internal exam was over i spotted the he didn't have any gloves on. then he told me to sit up, without saying anything my doctor opened my bra strap and started i assumed a breast check. Is this all part of the first consultation. I was just telling my sister at the weekend that i wasn't completely comfortable with my doctor. I told her all this and she thinks i should have been told every step he was going to take through all the examination. Can anyone tell me their experience for first consultation please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The internal exam and pap smear is normal, but it's a little odd he wasn't wearing gloves... I assume you are sure he didn't take them off quickly before you noticed. It is also normal that the partner stays on the other side of the curtain, though you can certainly ask he be present, depending on what you are more comfortable with. I always had my husband on the other side of checks, but with me for ultrasounds (love the dildo cam... not!) and inseminations.

I don't see why a breast check was performed, it has nothng to do with fertility. Have you had breast checks before? My GP always does one at pap smear appointment, and it is very clear what she is doing. But I had almost two year's worth of various fertility investigations and treatments, and never got a breast check at the fertility clinic (until I got pregnant, ironically). Especially as it is already knwon your fallopian tubes stop you conceiving. That doesn't mean the doctor did anything wrong necessarily, but he should have explained to you what he was doing and why. Also personally, I never had a doctor remove my bra, they always asked me to do it.

Doctor should definitely have told you what he was doing before/ as he was doing it. Next time, you should explain that you were confused by why he was doing a breast check; or if you don't want to say that, ask him what the results of the breast exam were, and see what he says. Alternatively, you could ask for a different doctor if you feel very uncomfortable.

Advertisement