Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to keep around 1000 Turkeys (pros and cons)

• 08-02-2010 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All

I am new on boards and am looking for some info regarding keeping turkeys

I am located in Dublin and have a modern 3200 SQ foot shed and have been thinking about raring turkeys in it . I am currently involved in Agri business selling farm machinery but not as a farmer but i have a keen interest in starting a small poultry business so i would welcome any advice .

I was thinking around 1200 birds but not sure what breed is best Bronze or White and what the stocking denseties are for turkeys

Also do i need a flock number or any other registration before i get some birds and what sort of returns are expected . Also is it best just to keep them only for the Xmas market and where would be best place to market them in large quantitys

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if anybody would be so kind to show me around a turkey or poultry farm anywhere in Ireland i would be very greatful

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

3200 sq foot shed would only house 600-700 turkeys as they need plenty space.
    http://www.teagasc.ie/advisory/alternatives/200001/pdfs_060626/13_Turkey.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

also all the work is around christmas time which is a total bummer , we only had 50 and never again

• Registered Users Posts: 37 porscheman

whelan1 wrote: »
    also all the work is around christmas time which is a total bummer , we only had 50 and never again

The work around Xmas woul not boder me too much because we are slack enough at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

porscheman wrote: »
    The work around Xmas woul not boder me too much because we are slack enough at that time

Wait till you have plucked them feckers, one smell that stays with you for life, sort of ruins the festive dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Worked at turkey plucking for a while. Dont know the marketing around it but know that I was working from 10 in the morning till 11 that night for 3 weeks plucking and killing at christmas. Its a messy job and requires a lot of seasonal labour at this time. Becuase of the seasonal aspect a lot of farms pay cash because who is going to come off benefits for 3 weeks and smell like sh1t for poor money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭fastrac

Major problems around here in 09 with people cancelling at the last minute after seeing special offers in supermarkets and everybody wanting light birds.You might try to get deposits to protect yourself against the cancellations.

Advertisement