Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

milk price 2010

• 08-02-2010 2:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Hello fellow farmers, whats the news on milk price for 2010. Got no income last year for a seven day week is there light at the end of the tunnel ?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

Met the chief exec of Dairygold last week he said things not looking great
    they are paying 25 inc vat he said the price may have to come down.
    The New Zealand auction was down again in price last week too.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

red bull wrote: »
    Hello fellow farmers, whats the news on milk price for 2010. Got no income last year for a seven day week is there light at the end of the tunnel ?:(
    if farmers are prepaired to milk cows at last years prices i dont see the coops lifting milk price until after peak production months this year.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

leg wax wrote: »
    if farmers are prepaired to milk cows at last years prices i dont see the coops lifting milk price until after peak production months this year.:cool:
    right so we'll ask the cows to cross their legs for the summer so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

scaniaman wrote: »
    Met the chief exec of Dairygold last week he said things not looking great
    they are paying 25 inc vat he said the price may have to come down.
    The New Zealand auction was down again in price last week too.:eek:
    leg wax wrote: »

heard the first half of the year will be the strongest, so overall not looking good the year, rumours of 28c/ltr. a few weeks ago. IMHO co-ops were trying to sell feed and fertilizer and hoping to create false security, as soon as a few gallons of milk appeared no 28 c available

their yards are full of bag stuff and no body is buying,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

would nt put any more than 23c/l in to the budget,
    would love it to be more, but im not going to dig a hole for myself by thinking it will be any more
    we are at the bottom of the food chain in all regards
    cheap food for the masses is a policy that will never change

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    right so we'll ask the cows to cross their legs for the summer so
    and thats my point farmers will keep milking

so what do you suggest we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Have to agree with leg wax here.

The response by dairy farmers to last years poor prices was to continue to produce at much the same levels. For every guy who exited the industry there were five or six who were looking to increase cow numbers (plenty of them farm close enough to me)
    The indo today reports that last weeks cattle kill is up 6500 head compared to the same week last year despite disastrous prices.
    The same paper reports conacre prices of 160 euro per acre for grain growing despite the certainty of losing money.

Why would the guys in the boardrooms of the dairy/grain co-ops or meat processors increase prices to the farmer when they are getting adequate supply. (Of course world market prices are a factor but look at how much more Scottish/English farmers are getting for beef)

Plenty of complaining and idle threats from IFA/ICSA/ICMSA that farmers will not continue to produce at these prices but the reality is different.
    If John Bryan advised every loss making farmer to produce the absolute minimum in order to maintain their farm and keep their REPS/SFP payments he might be better employed. Sure it would devastate our agri exports and probably cause serious job losses but it might be the shock that is needed to ensure that loss making farmers don't continue to support all those further up the system who profit from their hard work.

Don't worry - it won't happen. Fear of losing SFP in 2013 and willingness to produce at any price will mean that the status quo will remain and the complaining will continue.

cant remember the last time we had a liquid milk meeting (fmp) in our area our county chairman doesnt seem to see a problem

whelan1 wrote: »
    so what do you suggest we do
    its not me to tell you what to do its your life, quotas gone = flood of milk= lower milk price = leg wax out of milk in 2007. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jimmytrigs

Hi all.
    I have to agree with legwax and pharaoh. Milk price will continue to remain poor while farmers are willing to oversupply the market. Each farmer on their own can do very little, However as a group we could have enormous control over the price of milk. Milk is the one commodity that the farmers could control is they were organized into a tightly controlled body such as a union. You don’t have to get 100 % support. Even a 20% support would make a dent on supplies. The big difference between today and 30 years ago is the consolidation of the supermarkets and the power they wield. This problem will have to be tackled as its worse its gng to get. The long term solution is for the co-ops and milk purchasers to take back control of retail milk sales. Big supermarkets are interested in one thing. Market share, when their market share suffers they sit up and take notice. Farmers have through their co-ops and food businesses given away control to the supermarkets. In the us the home of capitalism farmers still earn 40% of the retail value of milk. Here we are lucky to be getting 15%. Its time to stop begging, As in all other walks of life if you want something u have to fight for it. Asking is a complete waste of time; They are approx 22000 dairy farmers in the country. All of them want an increase in price, They can blind us with figures about global markets and how the liquid milk is such a low % of the market, but the battle needs to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 zoostorm

why do you always harp back to "liquid milk" prices. liquid milk is only a drop in the ocean compared to manufacturing milk. and costs very little extra to produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

And manufacturing milk prices are dictated by global markets. It's as simple as this: Ireland as a country could cease milk production tomorrow and the world wouldn't care. That is how insignificant we are in volume terms. (Obviously, this would be an unmitigated disaster for the country as a whole and I certainly don't think we should exit milk production)
    Some facts:
    Commodity markets fluctuate and we are a commodity producer. Therefore, milk price to the farmer fluctuates.
    Processors exist on tiny margins. There is no "Pot of Gold" being held back in any co-op in Ireland. Think about it. Why on earth would any co-op chief executive give himself a monthly fight about milk price if he didn't have to? It's not as if he's pocketing all this excess money himself.
    Any speculation that there's some hidden agenda to talk up milk price early in the year to get feed and fertiliser sales going is nonsense. Where's the benefit for the co-op? Little of what's sold now will be paid for until summer at the earliest.

To be serious about milk price, this country needs to change its product mix radically. There needs to be a market-led move into fresh products and into more innovative products derived from commodities. This is what has proven so successful in Valio in Finland. Yes, we also need to rationalise our commodity production to a certain extent, but in my opinion, a single purchasing entity for the country is not the way to go. Of course, new technology and new products are capital intensive and where is this money going to come from?

Any speculation that there's some hidden agenda to talk up milk price early in the year to get feed and fertiliser sales going is nonsense. Where's the benefit for the co-op? Little of what's sold now will be paid for until summer at the earliest.

?

how many co-op board meetings have you attended?

snowman707 wrote: »
    how many co-op board meetings have you attended?

A few. Not many, but a few.

27cpl for glanbia manufacturing for march - a bit better than the 20cpl last year but i thought it would be up a bit more

Word on the street is to expect prices to inch upwards again in the April/May period. By how much, I do not know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭red bull

Anyone know if Arrabawn set March milk price yet they sell high valued protein products im told but pay a poor price

Anyone know if Arrabawn set March milk price yet they sell high valued protein products im told but pay a poor price

Some of their whey goes into 35% WPC which is no longer the sexy product it once was and fluctuates in line with other commoddities. Arrabawn's product mix is nothing to get excited about.

Some of their whey goes into 35% WPC which is no longer the sexy product it once was and fluctuates in line with other commoddities. Arrabawn's product mix is nothing to get excited about.

did they ever follow up with that liquid milk contract to aldi or lidl , heard it was at a ridiculous low price

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »
    did they ever follow up with that liquid milk contract to aldi or lidl , heard it was at a ridiculous low price
    I heard they did,with a decent margin so aldi can use the farmed in ireland logo. but what about connaught golds liquid milk contract with tesco they reputely pay the highest liquid milk premium but sell to the lowest payer. whats the story ? Some glanbia involvement my friends in mayo tell me. As far as I can see the farmer is going to be the loser. Branded milk is on the way out it seems, sad day for us

• Registered Users Posts: 22 zoostorm

Connaught gold recently gt the contract for tesco milk, they undercut dawn in galway, which was taken over by arrabawn. Arrabawn are sending rakes of whey to ballyragget as far as i know. Arrabawn are ok but they dont care too much for their suppliers and their priorities are all wrong, they have a new manager in nenagh and all he cares about is getting the lorry drivers to wear yellow bibs even though the creamery intake is filthy.

zoostorm wrote: »
    they have a new manager in nenagh and all he cares about is getting the lorry drivers to wear yellow bibs even though the creamery intake is filthy.

I guess when the lorry drivers aren't union members, it's easier to target them! ;)

I guess when the lorry drivers aren't union members, it's easier to target them! ;)
    Lads its time to cop on, Horace Plunkett must be turning in his grave as the founder of the co op movement. Do the co ops serve the farmer anymore or is it the contary do they compete with one another to the cost of the farmer.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

zoostorm wrote: »
    Arrabawn are sending rakes of whey to ballyragget as far as i know. Arrabawn are ok but they dont care too much for their suppliers and their priorities are all wrong, they have a new manager in nenagh and all he cares about is getting the lorry drivers to wear yellow bibs even though the creamery intake is filthy.

They was lines of Arrawbawn lorries drawing into Dairygold a few weeks back, still see the odd few loads going in there from them. There has been a lot of milk being shuffled around the country in the last few months

They was lines of Arrawbawn lorries drawing into Dairygold a few weeks back, still see the odd few loads going in there from them. There has been a lot of milk being shuffled around the country in the last few months
    As far as I know that was co operation in action Dairygold closed down for the winter months Arrabawn processed their milk and when milk became available to Arrabawn the same amount of milk was sent to Dairygold. Wish we could have more of that, its all about taking costs out of the system. Lets hope the Arrabawn milk price for March reflects it :)

As far as I know that was co operation in action Dairygold closed down for the winter months Arrabawn processed their milk and when milk became available to Arrabawn the same amount of milk was sent to Dairygold. Wish we could have more of that, its all about taking costs out of the system. Lets hope the Arrabawn milk price for March reflects it :)

that has been going on for the last few years,
    afaik kerry collect some of arrabawn's suppliers in limerick and visa versa in north tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TGQ

anyone know when the next arrabawn board meeting is?

TGQ wrote: »
    anyone know when the next arrabawn board meeting is?

heard its next monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 mossy1

Can any one tell me the current milk price for Arrabawn or Glanbia??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Glanbia are 33 cents a litre including the vat.

Advertisement