Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012

• 08-02-2010 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Heres one for yis, Ireland got the best possible draw they could have got in the draw for the Euro's in 2012, maybe this was some sort of compensation set up by Fifa to keep us happy . . . . . .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

i wouldnt call Russia and Slovakia easy by any means... Its a seeded draw, always going to have two teams ranked higher than us, and three teams ranked lower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

russia were the worst top seeds by a mile tbh

geography aside, the fai couldnt have hand picked a much easier draw

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

novarock wrote: »
    i wouldnt call Russia and Slovakia easy by any means... Its a seeded draw, always going to have two teams ranked higher than us, and three teams ranked lower...

Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

are the easiest team out of that pot, are on the way down

Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

one of the easiest out of this pot

Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.

again, a fvourable choice

Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

along with liechenstein and kazakhstan the worst in this pot

Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino.

even here we missed a tricky trip to azerbaijan, a potential bannana slip with brian kerrs faroe islands, we got nice nd easy andorra,

Overall if you had of asked me or anyone else to pick their ideal draw, it wouldnt be far off this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Purely coincidental imo. Wasn't the draw done on live television. I just don't know why or how UEFA would do this. There would be so much easier ways to repay us why would they go to all this bother? They could have given us automatic qualification and not risk a scandal. I wouldn't say it was the easiest draw possible. Favourible, certainly, the Macedonia draw was probably the worst we could get from that group imo. The gave England huge problems and were part of the reason they didn't make it into Euro 2008.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I Think the Real conspiracy here is the blatent Denigration of what actually qualifies a EUROPE

Azerbaijan, Albania, Georgia, Moldova, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Russia And of Course TURKEY

none opf these countries are European, actually historically most of these countries have been atWAR with European countries a few times,

Fvckit we might as well invite Israel to play, they do sing in the Eurovision :rolleyes:

I think its part of a Sinister plan by the NWO to weaken Europe by includin these countries, they start off with soccer and befor you know it theyt think they're entitled to Structural Grants and freedom opf travel

Europe for the EUROPEANS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Didn't Israel used to play in the Euro champs?? Sure they did

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008_qualifying

yep they're on the list :eek:
    along with Bosnia :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I Think the Real conspiracy here is the blatent Denigration of what actually qualifies a EUROPE

Azerbaijan, Albania, Georgia, Moldova, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Russia And of Course TURKEY

none opf these countries are European, actually historically most of these countries have been atWAR with European countries a few times,

Those in bold are European as is Bosnia (used to be part of the old Yugoslavia). Israel play in Europe as most countries in the Middle East refuse to recognise them and therefore play them. Germany has been at war with European countries a few times.

Didnt we refuse to Play South Africa for a long time because of their Apartheid regime, shouldnt we do the same to Israel

Also the Russian Orthodox Countries of the Old Soviet block should have their own league, they can have the Turks and the Albanians as well.

and I know where Bosnia is thank you very much, I still wouldnt consider it any more European than Albania or 'Kosovo'

• Advertisement

and I know where Bosnia is thank you very much, I still wouldnt consider it any more European than Albania or 'Kosovo'

They're still in Europe no matter what you consider them to be. I consider them European because of their location.

But ya see to many that IS the Border regions of Europe and they're on the wrong Side

But ya see to many that IS the Border regions of Europe and they're on the wrong Side

Bosnia-Herzegovina and Albania are further west than Greece, Finland, Romania or Bulgaria. Fermanagh is in the border region of Northern Ireland, doesn't make it in the Republic.

Fermanagh is in the border region of Northern Ireland, doesn't make it in the Republic.

Thats kinda my point

Thats kinda my point

But it isn't, those countries are clearly defined as being in Europe. You should take a look at the map of Europe sometime, you're clearly confused about a lot of countries location.

A lot of the modern Atlass' Put Turkey in Europe, still not Europe tho

A small part of Turkey is in Europe, in fact Istanbul is the only city in the world to be in two continents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Fvckit we might as well invite Israel to play, they do sing in the Eurovision :rolleyes:

I think its part of a Sinister plan by the NWO to weaken Europe by includin these countries, they start off with soccer and befor you know it theyt think they're entitled to Structural Grants and freedom opf travel

Europe for the EUROPEANS

It has been this way for years.

The Soviet Union played Yugoslavia in the first European final in 1960. 7 of those countries made up those.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Most European countries have been at wat with each other, what's your point?

Albania, Belarus and Moldova are indisputably in Europe.

Russia and Turkey are partially in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Found a ''correct'' map of Europe in Eason? some weeks back. Find it interesting how many people will try to tell me that Turkey is partly in Europe.
    It either is or it feckin isn't. Having €5 in the arse pocket pocket of your jeans doesn't make you a partial millionaire FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I read in the paper today that our group could actually be bad for us financially, as there are no big teams to increase viewing figures, people in pubs, people going to matches etc. Although I guess it may be a balance between easy qualifying (bad financially), and more likely to be in Euro 2010 (good financially)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

It has nothing to do with what continent your in and everything to do with what confederation you sign up to and who will take you. UEFA is bigger than Europe. Australia is in AFC
    800px-UEFA.svg.png

On topic I think its a crap group for Ireland with lots of long travling that will make it more difficult for our away support.

Also i don't see what UEFA would have to gain by sorting FIFAs problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

squod wrote: »
    Found a ''correct'' map of Europe in Eason? some weeks back. Find it interesting how many people will try to tell me that Turkey is partly in Europe.
    It either is or it feckin isn't. Having €5 in the arse pocket pocket of your jeans doesn't make you a partial millionaire FFS.

Q: Is the circle inside the square?

A: Partially.

Undergod wrote: »
    Q: Is the circle inside the square?

A: Partially.

If ninety five percent of the circle was not in the square it would be more correct to say hardly.

A more accurate diagram is this one, as I said in many ''correct'' maps Turkey does not appear in to be in Europe.
    sqcirc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Heres one for yis, Ireland got the best possible draw they could have got in the draw for the Euro's in 2012, maybe this was some sort of compensation set up by Fifa to keep us happy . . . . . .

Sepp Blatter and all the football federation elites dont give a s**t about our country.They made that quite clear when they openly laughed at us last year at the fifa conference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If you're going to say that Turkey isn't part of Europe then by the same logic neither is Russian. And why the **** wouldn't the former Yugoslav countries be entitled to enter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Alot of people here appear to be very confused as to the actual shape of Europe. I mean anyone who says Bosnia is not in Europe clearly can't read a map. UEFA is a confederation of football nations, it is not a strict delineation of the European continent.

Sepp Blatter and all the football federation elites dont give a s**t about our country.They made that quite clear when they openly laughed at us last year at the fifa conference

When you ask to be the 33rd nation at the World Cup then you deserve to be laughed at. It was a ridiculous suggestion from a ridiculous organisation (the FAI).

A more accurate diagram is this one, as I said in many ''correct'' maps Turkey does not appear in to be in Europe.

Does it have an outline of Europe? Do you even know where European Turkey ends?

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    When you ask to be the 33rd nation at the World Cup then you deserve to be laughed at. It was a ridiculous suggestion from a ridiculous organisation (the FAI).

I agree with what your saying 100%, but the point i was making is that Sepp Blatter wouldnt go out of his way to help us, a nation who he looks upon as a pathetic shower of pied pipers

m@cc@ wrote: »
    This one is clearer I think.

eunewneb.gif

Only if your Geography is poor. :pac:

I agree with what your saying 100%, but the point i was making is that Sepp Blatter wouldnt go out of his way to help us, a nation who he looks upon as a pathetic shower of pied pipers

Agree. Anyway the draw isn't exactly a piece of cake as was being suggested in the OP.

Russia are a tough opponent and are especially tough to play in Moscow on the plastic pitch. They beat England out there a few years ago. Slovakia have qualified for the World Cup and topped their group in doing so. Macedonia have always proven to be a tough team for Ireland to play. Anyone remember losing in Skopje in 1997?! Armenia would not be the best team but the long trip out there alone makes it a tough one.

Does it have an outline of Europe? Do you even know where European Turkey ends?

Trick question dude, ask yourself the same question.

Here's another one.

• Advertisement

Trick question dude, ask yourself the same question.

Here's another one.

I do know where it ends, in West Istanbul. You cross the Cevre Yolu to get to Asia. ;)

europeanregions.png

Simple.

Agree. Anyway the draw isn't exactly a piece of cake as was being suggested in the OP.

Russia are a tough opponent and are especially tough to play in Moscow on the plastic pitch. They beat England out there a few years ago. Slovakia have qualified for the World Cup and topped their group in doing so. Macedonia have always proven to be a tough team for Ireland to play. Anyone remember losing in Skopje in 1997?! Armenia would not be the best team but the long trip out there alone makes it a tough one.

No doubt they are tough places to go to and remember what happened last time we went to Russia.I agree thou it is a much harder group than it looks

Simple.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Turkey, known officially as the Republic of Turkey, is a Eurasian country that stretches across the Anatolian peninsula in Western Asia and Thrace (Rumelia) in the Balkan region of southeastern Europe.

Not always the most reliable source of info, but in this instance, spot on.

It's a nightmare for travelling fans.

On the countries, Kazakhstan doesn't make sense at all. Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan are debatable, but appear to be considered European.

Turkey is partly in Europe. The others mentioned are definitely European, especially if Cyprus is.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    It's a nightmare for travelling fans.

On the countries, Kazakhstan doesn't make sense at all.

The only reason I can think is that Kazakhstan is ex-Soviet which was covered by UEFA. They only joined UEFA in 2002 though. :confused:

The only reason I can think is that Kazakhstan is ex-Soviet which was covered by UEFA. They only joined UEFA in 2002 though. :confused:

The Ural mountains and the Caspian Sea seems to be the border so looking at it again, it seems to be both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia.

are the easiest team out of that pot, are on the way down

Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania.

one of the easiest out of this pot

Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus.

again, a fvourable choice

Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein.

along with liechenstein and kazakhstan the worst in this pot

Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino.

even here we missed a tricky trip to azerbaijan, a potential bannana slip with brian kerrs faroe islands, we got nice nd easy andorra,

Overall if you had of asked me or anyone else to pick their ideal draw, it wouldnt be far off this
    You are wrong here. If it was rigged for us then we would have got Croatia, Czech's and Cyprus.

CHD wrote: »
    You are wrong here. If it was rigged for us then we would have got Croatia, Czech's and Cyprus.

nah your splittin hairs there lad, theres feck all between croatia and russia imo russia are weaker, again not much between slovakia and czech republic, maybe slovakia slightly better, and you cant choose between macedonia and cyprus. You cant say im wrong, its my opinion and i can see where your coming from, but im not wrong

No doubt they are tough places to go to and remember what happened last time we went to Russia.I agree thou it is a much harder group than it looks

i dont thinh there is such a thing as an easy group, but i personally believe its the easiest group we could have got, give or take one or two teams

europeanregions.png

Simple.

What is that supposed to represent?

What is that supposed to represent?

Political regions I'm guessing. Love how that bit of Russia above Poland supposedly isn't in Europe. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

amacachi wrote: »
    Political regions I'm guessing. Love how that bit of Russia above Poland supposedly isn't in Europe. :pac:

Thats Kaliningrad, Its legally still part of Russia..

novarock wrote: »
    Thats Kaliningrad, Its legally still part of Russia..

Yes, I said it's part of Russia, my point is that Europe is and was a spatial region/area before it became politicised. The new definitions laid out by the creation of the EU or anything else are irrelevant, since Kaliningrad is obviously in Europe.

amacachi wrote: »
    Yes, I said it's part of Russia, my point is that Europe is and was a spatial region/area before it became politicised. The new definitions laid out by the creation of the EU or anything else are irrelevant, since Kaliningrad is obviously in Europe.

I'd agree with that. As a matter of interest, do you think Turkey is part of Europe or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement