Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how would you feel?

• 08-02-2010 4:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

just watched new orleans win the super bowl and fair play to them. i know nothin about american football.that city has been thru enough so wont and cant complain about it. but my question is, is it the norm that the owner accepts the trophy on behalf of the team regardless of what the coach / manager/ captain has done for them?

so i say to you football fans how would you feel if say abramovich/ gazer gillette and hicks / or your club owner stood up to receive your hard earned trophy over your manager after the state this league is in. would you not want your want your club captain to receive this honour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

If all the members in our co-op system went up to lift the trophy I'd be happy out. As would any fan of club with a member system I'm sure. And our club captain is a member afaik.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Doesn't seem right to me, but the American culture is quite different for this sort of thing I imagine.

Was a great game anyway!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's off-putting but more honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

i'm a man u fan and if glazer came out after the end of the season to receive the trophy no matter how much money he did or didnt put into the club i'd still want my club captain or manager/coach to receive the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's off-putting but more honest.

There are 4 team captains, as there are several 'teams' within the 'team'. So there is no singular captain. Allied to that, there is both a coach and a general manager both who are given the credit a manager would here. The owner may seem illogical but he is the 'investor' of probably more time than anyone else in the team and the figurehead. American sports work diffirently.

Also here sports teams work differently. There is soccer clubs which grow out of places of work like coal mines ect. They have franchises. The owners win the franchise rights and start the team, taking the risk and as all things American takes the spoils. Ownership of sports club was a by product of growing professionalism, ownership is ingrained over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

just watched new orleans win the super bowl and fair play to them. i know nothin about american football.that city has been thru enough so wont and cant complain about it. but my question is, is it the norm that the owner accepts the trophy on behalf of the team regardless of what the coach / manager/ captain has done for them?

Dont want to sound out of line, but who gives a sh*t?

They won it, Whether its Mary from the local corner shop, or the owners who pumped in 100m+ who collects the trophy, they were the best team (errors & omissions accepted) over the season, and got their just deserts tonight.
    i'm a man u fan and if glazer came out after the end of the season to receive the trophy no matter how much money he did or didnt put into the club i'd still want my club captain or manager/coach to receive the trophy.

Welcome to the real world!! If you didnt know, money makes it spin around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Would be delighted if our chairman Roche collected it, the guy works for free on top of his own job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Was talking about it earlier with some mates. Themont has put forward a fairly valid point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

United fan: If our owners ever went up to accept a trophy I reckon there would be riots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

redout wrote: »
    United fan: If our owners ever went up to accept a trophy I reckon there would be riots.

Seconding this.

It would be chaos is Glazer stepped out on OT to accept the prem title, for example.

In American sports, it is very different though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i wouldnt give a shíte who went up to receive it

it hardly means that the team didnt win it, what does it matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote: »
    i wouldnt give a shíte who went up to receive it

it hardly means that the team didnt win it, what does it matter?

depends on the club to be honest, imo.

Some clubs the owner would deserve the credit. Others, like United or Liverpool, the owners deserve to be run out of town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

personally, I wouldnt give a toss who lifted the trophy as long as liverpool were the team that won it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I would love to see abramovich lift the premier league or champs league trophy, the man is a legend and has done so much for chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think it's a crock of sh*t to be honest; pandering to the suits and their egos. I completely understand that the owners shoulder huge risk and responsibility off the field, but the trophy presentation should be for the players - end of story. As for the team owner serving as a figure head for the whole team on a practical note - you mean to tell me they can erect a large stage, have The Who play a mini set, then deconstruct the whole thing in a period of about 25-30 mins, but they can't come up with a presentation system/stage that allows for all the players to share in the presentation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Yeah i thought it was a pretty strange one myself, should be the QB or coach really. I know sports these days are all about the money, but i think we should try and maintain as many of the traditions as we can.

The image of a captain of a football team lifting a trophy is symbolic, as a Liverpool fan i'd obviously hate to see G&H lift a trophy for us, even if they were popular owners i wouldn't like to see it.

I support my team week in week out not a business model, the image of a businessman lifting a trophy no matter how much he's invested in the club disgusts me a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think it's a crock of sh*t to be honest; pandering to the suits and their egos. I completely understand that the owners shoulder huge risk and responsibility off the field, but the trophy presentation should be for the players - end of story. As for the team owner serving as a figure head for the whole team on a practical note - you mean to tell me they can erect a large stage, have The Who play a mini set, then deconstruct the whole thing in a period of about 25-30 mins, but they can't come up with a presentation system/stage that allows for all the players to share in the presentation?

I would imagine it is slightly embarassing for some of the owners but for some an ego trip. But thats the way they've always done it, the owner gets it. Its a exclusive club to be a owner and I doubt one would rock the boat. They only started using stages in recent years. There are 53 guys on the roster plus 20 + other players not active plus a dozen coaches at least. It would be silly to have them all up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

redout wrote: »
    United Liverpool fan: If our owners ever went up to accept a trophy I reckon there would be riots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Neil3030 wrote: »
    have The Who play a mini set, then deconstruct the whole thing in a period of about 25-30 mins, but they can't come up with a presentation system/stage that allows for all the players to share in the presentation?

The presentation stage was ridiculously small last night, especially in comparison to The Who's set. I bet it'd be easier use the same stage but with different lighting and by sticking a few Super Bowl symbols around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah i thought it was a pretty strange one myself, should be the QB or coach really. I know sports these days are all about the money, but i think we should try and maintain as many of the traditions as we can.

The image of a captain of a football team lifting a trophy is symbolic, as a Liverpool fan i'd obviously hate to see G&H lift a trophy for us, even if they were popular owners i wouldn't like to see it.

I support my team week in week out not a business model, the image of a businessman lifting a trophy no matter how much he's invested in the club disgusts me a little.

It is the tradition in American Football for the team owner to receive the trophy on behalf of the team.
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    The presentation stage was ridiculously small last night, especially in comparison to The Who's set. I bet it'd be easier use the same stage but with different lighting and by sticking a few Super Bowl symbols around the place.

Good point, it would have looked nice, but it takes 10 mins or so to construct the stage again and there are hundreds of people on the pitch celebrating after the game. As long as I've been watching American Football, the podium as was used last night has always been the way of presenting the trophy.

---

Anyway, comparing the two sports and their traditions is like comparing chalk and cheese. There are some cross-over areas where the two sports could learn from each other, but at the end of the day they are vastly different. themont85's post sums it up really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Healio wrote: »
    Dont want to sound out of line, but who gives a sh*t?

They won it, Whether its Mary from the local corner shop, or the owners who pumped in 100m+ who collects the trophy, they were the best team (errors & omissions accepted) over the season, and got their just deserts tonight.

Welcome to the real world!! If you didnt know, money makes it spin around.

If Mike Ashley came to collect the trophy if Newcastle won the Championship they're would be a fúcking stampede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

themont85 wrote: »
    I would imagine it is slightly embarassing for some of the owners but for some an ego trip. But thats the way they've always done it, the owner gets it. Its a exclusive club to be a owner and I doubt one would rock the boat. They only started using stages in recent years. There are 53 guys on the roster plus 20 + other players not active plus a dozen coaches at least. It would be silly to have them all up there.

I'd say that's true alright, good point.
    themont85 wrote: »

60-100 People all standing up would take up a surprisingly small amount of space. Sure can't you fit the population of the entire world on the Isle of Wight or something like that. Even if there's a presentation to the owner, coach and QB with the rest of the boys in the background on the stage, I'd prefer that. The notion of elevating the coach, quarter-back and wealthy old white man above the hard grinding (predominantly) African American players smacks me as a bit elitist, even if it is purely unintended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Didn't the Saints owner open the stadium up to refugees during Katrina?

Advertisement