Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Check

Options
  • 08-02-2010 4:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey All,

Hope you are all well.

In a few weeks I will be applying for permanent residancy.

My girlfriend is Australian and we have been together for 3 years so going for the defacto visa.

My question is regarding the police check. I'm in Australia at the moment on a working holiday so its not very easy for me to get the garda check, and from reading online its not easy to get it while your in Ireland either :-)

Is the police check needed in all cases? I sent away and received one from the Australian police so will this do or will I need one from the Gadai aswell?

Any advise much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes I am in the same boat, but you do need one from the Gardai, it is a painful process so I am told.

As far as I know, you need a check from every country you lived in more than 12(??) months.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352881

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 timbuk62

I was affraid of that :)

thanks for the reply, best of luck with yuor visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

timbuk62 wrote: »
    Hey All,

Hope you are all well.

In a few weeks I will be applying for permanent residancy.

My girlfriend is Australian and we have been together for 3 years so going for the defacto visa.

My question is regarding the police check. I'm in Australia at the moment on a working holiday so its not very easy for me to get the garda check, and from reading online its not easy to get it while your in Ireland either :-)

Is the police check needed in all cases? I sent away and received one from the Australian police so will this do or will I need one from the Gadai aswell?

Any advise much appreciated.

Apply for it now, your Visa is one of the simpler ones don't let this task go unattended.

Ring your local station (get a calling card) and ask what they need.

Say "I want to get a police check for the purposes of emigration to Australia"

The dance begins there, you could try asking on the Emergency services forum they might tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

It wasn't too bad to get in the end - although one garda made me cry because I got so frustrated. I called them and they told me to call templogue so I called Templeogue but they only deal with checks for working with children and things. I called quite a few times and got nowhere. I was going round in circles.

Then, on the advice, of a boardsie I wrote a letter to the district superintendent where I live. I got a brief phone call from a garda and then it was faxed to me within 10 days of sending the letter. I recommend you do that.

It seems strange to me, they must get so many requests for it because you need it for other countries as well. Why they don't have a central place to request one is crazy. Everybody I spoke to talked to me as if I was asking for my weight in gold. Surely they must have heard the request lots of times before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

You don't need to ring Templemore for this - employers ring Templemore if they want to check (and they pay a fee) but when you're applying for a visa for another country, you get in touch with your local station. I forget whether I paid a fee or not (if I did, it was less than 10 euro) and it took about 2 weeks to get the letter in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

But be sure to include a stamp so they can send it back to you. States not made of money you know.

This was made very clear by the Garda at the desk. Sometimes I really miss the Garda , Victoria Police just don't have the same sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

You should be able to find your super intendant's office and name from here:

http://www.garda.ie/Stations/Default.aspx

Once you ring them, get the name of who you're talking to as I've heard of friends getting different info from different ppl. Then, if you can, send your parents or someone close to you back home in and ask for that person.

Like watna, I had mine within about 10 days too.

Advertisement