Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New rolling stock for WRC tested in Holland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Very good Corktina but I suspect a mini-bus would be more the size needed for the WRC! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

thats pretty fast in the water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

thats pretty fast in the water!
    most likely faster in the water than the trains will be on the rails!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

foggy_lad wrote: »
    most likely faster in the water than the trains will be on the rails!

Except when it breaks down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they could always lay on a bus to replaace the WRC version should IT break down....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

For those who do not know, Renfrew is in the Glasgow - Paisley area.

I seen the thing today and it looks a little bit strange

What happens if you ask the driver to stop the bus to take a wee wee. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Personally I prefer a bit more free board (distance between waterline and top of hull) and a hull that is wider than high (stops it blowing over sideways).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

corktina wrote: »

...obviously not the correct link, but boy, it's impressive!!! - Just thinking about it, if a bus can swim across a river (as in the vid), bar low bridges such a bus could use a city's central river like a central motorway with slipways instead of slip roads.

If this Dutch contraption takes hold, maybe Dublin could have its central motorway by simply knocking the Liffey bridges and replacing them with high level equivalents (also built in Georgian style) - would be historically sad, but would be cool as a jam buster - then the quays could be all trams and pedestrians - won't happen though! Anyway, the DART interconnector should help traffic matters in Dublin - presuming it will be built!

Regards! :)

why isnt it the correct link?:confused: As i understood it, the test was in Holland to see if it was suitable for Renfrew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If this Dutch contraption takes hold, maybe Dublin could have its central motorway by simply knocking the Liffey bridges and replacing them with high level equivalents (also built in Georgian style) -

The Liffey is tidal, when it goes out, there is only a few inches of water in places. This would never work.

yes it would...havent they got wheels? All youd need is Four-wheel drive and nobbly tyres....:D

Victor wrote: »
    and a hull that is wider than high (stops it blowing over sideways).

:confused: most vessel of any size are much higher than they are wide. Nothing to do with it. As long as it is properly weighted the width is of little issue for the short water-borne distance it'll be travelling. Also can only be as wide as a normal traffic lane at most otherwise its essentially useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

corktina wrote: »
    why isnt it the correct link?:confused: As i understood it, the test was in Holland to see if it was suitable for Renfrew.

The test is in Glasgow. That was the Renfrew - Yoker crossing where the ferry ran up until a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

:confused: most vessel of any size are much higher than they are wide. Nothing to do with it. As long as it is properly weighted the width is of little issue for the short water-borne distance it'll be travelling. Also can only be as wide as a normal traffic lane at most otherwise its essentially useless
    I take your point, but much of the air draught of a boat is in masts and such like.

I'm, saying its looks wrong. Some ships also look wrong. :)

so its the correct link then, but i have been misinformed about the test being in Holland...

According to some feedback reports in the media this thing almost needs a ladder to board because of its high waterline and also not at all wheelchair friendly.

According to some feedback reports in the media this thing almost needs a ladder to board because of its high waterline and also not at all wheelchair friendly.

Good, finally some form of public transport that puts practicality of transport over the percieved need for a 100% wheelchair accesable fleet.

Advertisement