Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine Oil on Cats head

Options
  • 08-02-2010 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Our indoor cat escaped yesterday!!

After a small wander round a field accross the road he came home via the underneath of one of the neighbors cars.

He has a small patch of oil on the top of his head. I tried cleaning most of it off with some baby wipes last night but am a little worried that he (or his brother) might get sick trying to clean it off.

Any suggestions on the best way to try and clean it.

I dont have any welding gloves so am not really mad on the idea of trying a bath/shower.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

A bit of talc might help. It will absorb the oil. Rub it in, leave for a couple of minutes and then brush out, don't let any get in the cat's eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Don't over-react. For as long as cats have liked sniffing things and wandering around outside for a look-see, they've come back with engine oil on their noggin. If you've wiped it off as best you can, you've done enough....stop worrying.

And I'd avoid putting talc on your cat too. Just let it do its own thing and clean it off at its leisure, sitting beside the radiator on your favourite coat etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Rub with a damp sponge. Cats feel a lot better about sponges than about baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

use washing up liguid it is perfect was told that by a vet when my cat fell in to oil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have you any baby shampoo?
    If so get a tiny bit on a damp sponge and rub it off gently. To be honest if its mostly gone I wouldn't worry.
    I have a clumsy cat that has fallen in many things, once a neighbours garden manure, a green and slimey pond, once a can of emulsion paint(that was fun trying to bath him, he was like a slippery weasel:p) and he's never been ill after any of these incidents. Just hated me for a few days after his baths;)
    I have also discovered how best to bath a cat(DON"T!):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Washing up liquid has worked for me, too. We have a longhaired all white cat who is considering a career as a car mechanic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Damp sponge it was, and he loved it !!!

Advertisement