Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with a neighbours barking Dog

Options
  • 08-02-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I have a problem with a neighbours barking Dog. This is a long term thing,, 4 years now , and having spoke to him a number of times about it, the last visit, i was told to get of his doorstep.

So asking him again to do something about this is not an option.

Anyone know what i can do,

I can always call the garda's, or report him/her to the dog warden, or even the ispca, but would rather beable to say hello in the street afterwards, so these are roads i dont want to go down.

I have friends, who breed dogs, and they say, the dog is just lonely as a result of being left in a high walled garden for hours on end by its self.

Any ideas please
    (bye the way, he said a couple of years ago he had a anti barking dog collar)

thanks

mickmcgee,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What you're saying is that you don't want to talk to the owner, you don't want to engage a third party and you have no access to or control over the dog.

In this case then you have two options:
    1. Put up and shut up
    2. Move house

No, I'm not joking or being short, they are your only two options if you refuse to get anyone else involved. Your friend is right - the dog is bored and lonely, that's why it's barking all day. The owner's attitude to you suggests that he's one of these "He's my dog and I'll do what I like" idiots.
    The same kind of person that'll leave their dog for two days in the pissings of rain without any food, but if anyone came to take the dog away would scream bloody murder.
    That he got a shock collar to stop barking also indicates that he hasn't a clue what he's doing and is too lazy to bother with proper training.

Your local SPCA isn't the nuclear option and they won't immediately come to take the dog away, in fact they won't even suggest it. They'll come out to him and talk to him and give him advice on what he can do. Although depending on how busy they are, they may not be able to call out - I'm sure they get tonnes of calls about barking dogs. Though they can at least advise on what other agencies can help you out.

This neighbour is clearly an idiot with no respect for his neighbours, why do you care about being able to say hello in the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I feel your pain OP. I had a similar situation with my mother's next door neighbour, it got quite tense when my mam was dying and the dog barked whenever anyone called to our house, opened a window, went outside the back, if it heard my dogs walking around, basically any time anyone so much as farted it would set the dog off barking for hours.

I approached the gardai and they said cos the dog was on it's own property there was nothing they could do, that I could approach the county council about noise pollution but the council would have to come out and measure the noise level and then send a letter if it went over the level.:mad: I mean what use is that!!!!

I considered getting one of these devices http://www.electronicpestrepeller.com/Dog_Control.htm You put it on the wall between you and your neighbour, when the dog barks it triggers an ultrasonic noise from the device. I didn't get one in the end as I had dogs myself at the time and didnt want them getting blasted. If you have no dogs, or could keep your dog inside for a while to let the device do it's work then I'd go for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickmcgee

Put up and shut up

mmm ,, should that not read put up or shut up.

As you can see by my post, im trying to be polite , and remain friends ish.

Its a cul de sac, so, falling out is my last choice.
    What you're saying is that you don't want to talk to the owner

I have spoke to the owner,, thats the problem,, false promises,,

I posted here in this secition, to see if dog owners would share there knowledge
    on how to deal with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

mickmcgee wrote: »
    mmm ,, should that not read put up or shut up.

Its a cul de sac, so, falling out is my last choice.

I posted here in this secition, to see if dog owners would share there knowledge

They already have, but you don't seem to want to listen. If the dog's owner has not listened to you after 4 YEARS and you refuse to get a third party involved, what are you going to do to get this dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

...and angry words. I don't understand why you're trying to be polite and respectful to someone who's not returning the favour.
    I totally understand that, but the problem is that you're *not* the dog owner. If you actually had the ability to control the dog, there's a lot of advice we can give you, but unfortunately you don't have access to train or control the dog, which severely limits what you can do with the dog itself.

The link posted above may give you some limited success, but it is quite expensive and depending on the size of the gardens, may not have the range you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement