Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai parking in loading bay

• 08-02-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just wondering is it against the law for the same Gardai to be parking in the same loading bay, 5 days per week to eat breakfast in a restaurant beside this loading bay ?

Abuse of power ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Abuse of power ?

Of course, then again who gonna do anything about it. The higher-ups to report it too are likely doing exactly the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Abuse of power ?
    Those Gardai would be on call and may have to abandon their breakfast. If you required them in a hurry, would you be impressed if they had to spend 10 minutes queing to pay, getting their car and exiting from an underground carpark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Any pics?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

In fairness, Gardaí can park where they want legally, so at least in a loading bay there not in anybody else's way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

delly wrote: »
    In fairness, Gardaí can park where they want legally, so at least in a loading bay there not in anybody else's way.
    Eh........truck and vans trying to load or unload!!

• Advertisement

In the course of duty, not to go have breakfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

So what ? Seriously, wtf.

Jip wrote: »
    So what ? Seriously, wtf.

its a valid topic, if you no interest don't post, some people obviously care about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's about as valid as threads about gardai using mobile phones while driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

My preferred course of action when some tosser parks in a loading bay I need to use is to parallel park an inch from their door and do a nice leisurely delivery.Not sure if I'd try that one on our boys in blue though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They can park anywhere they want all day everyday, double yellow lines, dangerously on corners, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If possible block them in.....but get out there before 30mins.......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

trad wrote: »
    Any pics?

No.

I'll PM you where it happened if you want. I'd rather not mention the establisment on a public forum.

Jip wrote: »
    It's about as valid as threads about gardai using mobile phones while driving.

which they are entitled to do, just as they are entitled to park wherever they want in the course of duty. however stopping for breakfast had nothing to do with the course of duty and is abuse of power and shouldn't happen
    If possible block them in.....but get out there before 30mins.......;)
    LOL, you should do that

While the owner of the establisment might be happy with the Gardai's custom, I doubt that he's too happy that the loading bay is blocked for a time each morning.

No.

I'll PM you where it happened if you want. I'd rather not mention the establisment on a public forum.

mmm..is it your restaurant.?..:D

btw..is it a garda van...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

tbh iv seen them park in much worse places while they stroll off to get a coffee.

I was parallel parked on the South Mall once, Garda Mondeo was parked in the middle of the road so as to block me, the car next to me and all the cars in the lane, 25mins i was waiting before 2 gardai came back with plastic bags full of food. Not so much as an apology but a filthy look from one of them. Their lack Professionalism sometimes astonishes me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Eh........truck and vans trying to load or unload!!
    While the owner of the establisment might be happy with the Gardai's custom, I doubt that he's too happy that the loading bay is blocked for a time each morning.
    Well my point being in relation to them either double parking, parking on double yellows or on a kerb and blocking pedestrians. What i'm saying is, they can do what they want, and it could be worse.

Hogzy wrote: »
    tbh iv seen them park in much worse places while they stroll off to get a coffee.

I was parallel parked on the South Mall once, Garda Mondeo was parked in the middle of the road so as to block me, the car next to me and all the cars in the lane, 25mins i was waiting before 2 gardai came back with plastic bags full of food. Not so much as an apology but a filthy look from one of them. Their lack Professionalism sometimes astonishes me.

Just to side step the topic for a comment...basically as i say to anyone who queries their behaviour, they're only human, most of us in their job with that much power would do exactly the same....i'm not saying its right but..;)

Just to side step the topic for a comment...basically as i say to anyone who queries their behaviour, they're only human, most of us in their job with that much power would do exactly the same....i'm not saying its right but..;)

but that is just plain moronic ignorance to block people in jst cos it suits them to park in the middle of the road cos they were too lazy to park properly

• Advertisement

IMO my comment was right on topic.

What do you think the topic is? Gardai parking where they shouldnt?

EDIT: Quoted the wrong person

IMO my comment was right on topic.

What do you think the topic is? Gardai parking where they shouldnt?

DUH..if you read my comments you'll see i am in total agreement with the subject..thats why i said the "side step" bit... jeezzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as they can drop everything and come to my rescue if needed I don't mind at all, same with ambulances or fire dept. There are worse offenders imo.

Magnus wrote: »
    As long as they can drop everything and come to my rescue if needed I don't mind at all, same with ambulances or fire dept. There are worse offenders imo.

I'm sure they can park for as long as they want anywhere...doubt if anyone will question them...perhaps the business owner could complain ..but that might open a can of worms...;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

its a valid topic, if you no interest don't post, some people obviously care about it!

It's not a valid topic - it's a cheap attempt to have a pop at the Gardai. The Gardai in the car are having breakfast - while at work. They haven't the opportunity to take a 15 minute tea break, to nip back to the station.

There obviously might be the chance they'll inconvenience a delivery man during the 1% of the day they are in the bay, but if you can post here that you saw a delivery being sent away while they were there, then I'll validate your post.

Hi. Just wondering is it against the law for the same Gardai to be parking in the same loading bay, 5 days per week to eat breakfast in a restaurant beside this loading bay ?

Abuse of power ?

How long are they there for ? What time do they get for a breakfast break ? I would think the fact that they are in the same place every day is more worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

In the course of duty, not to go have breakfast!

They are on duty.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    They are on duty.

Gorging themselves on a big fry is hardly on duty, they are clocked in but on a break, admittedly they may be forced to leave their grub unfinished if they are required to attend an emergency. Given the response time whenever I have rang them I reckon they must get second helpings in such scenarios.

They are on duty.

What..arresting a Full Irish..........?

• Advertisement

They are on duty.

Listen ..dont try to justify the behaviour of the Gardai on here..we all know at least one, we all know what they get up to.....you're wasting your time..:rolleyes: ..

Listen ..dont try to justify the behaviour of the Gardai on here..we all know at least one, we all know what they get up to.....you're wasting your time..:rolleyes: ..

That's a good point, driving after drinking is the one that p's me off big style, disgrace really. And dropping their girlfriends / random tramps home in the bacon wagons, that's a right good way to use state resources. Not to mention the way the ones on the streets in the weekend small hours tend to get very scarce come nightclub closing time.

DUH..if you read my comments you'll see i am in total agreement with the subject..thats why i said the "side step" bit... jeezzz

Sh!T i quoted the wrong person sorry!

Just wonder if any garda vehicle has been given a ticket or clamped..or would that be illegal (or dangerous to ones health :D).....

It's not a valid topic - it's a cheap attempt to have a pop at the Gardai. The Gardai in the car are having breakfast - while at work. They haven't the opportunity to take a 15 minute tea break, to nip back to the station.

There obviously might be the chance they'll inconvenience a delivery man during the 1% of the day they are in the bay, but if you can post here that you saw a delivery being sent away while they were there, then I'll validate your post.

Gardai arent the only people with agendas and jobs, THat day i was 15 minutes late for an appointment i had to make, And i ran 20 minutes past my parking disk. Agreed though there isnt much a parking attendant could do. Some people are so ignorant to the fact that some gardai (NOT ALL, before i get slated!:rolleyes:) overuse their power. We all need food fact, but we dont need to block a lane full of traffic and 2 cars in while parking to go to the shop for 20minutes. If i did that i would probably be towed away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

They're not the only ones who may be needed quickly in an emergency. I have yet to see a fire engine or an ambulance sprawled across a few loading bay spots.

Holding mobile phones while drivng and speed-limits don't apply to Gardai either. They have advanced driving skills and can manage this safely unlike the rest of us.

Last month I saw a Garda getting into a drunken brawl in a well-known Dublin niteclub. When the bouncers moved in to remove him, several badges of his cohort were pulled until the bouncers moved away. I suppose that too had a legitimate reason and those Gardai were under-cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What if they were parked somwhere eating their breakfast which blocked an ambulance getting through in an emergency, would they rush themselves then or park properly next time?

sesna wrote: »
    They're not the only ones who may be needed quickly in an emergency. I have yet to see a fire engine or an ambulance sprawled across a few loading bay spots.

Holding mobile phones while drivng and speed-limits don't apply to Gardai either. They have advanced driving skills and can manage this safely unlike the rest of us.

Last month I saw a Garda getting into a drunken brawl in a well-known Dublin niteclub. When the bouncers moved in to remove him, several badges of his cohort were pulled until the bouncers moved away. I suppose that too had a legitimate reason and those Gardai were under-cover.

I'm sorry but i dont think driving at high speed while on the phone is something that they are taught or tested on...

No driving course can make a car stop faster when driving 100kph than 50kph on a suburban road. FACT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Surely their cars have phone kits fitted as standard?

No driving course can make a car stop faster when driving 100kph than 50kph on a suburban road. FACT!!!

Sure it can if you apply special techniques learned in Templemore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Frank McDonald wrote an article in the Irish Times a few years ago on the parking outside the HQ on Harcourt St and station on Pearse St, the bays are marked "Official Garda cars", but from recollection , he wrote that there is nothing 'official' in law about these markings, even if there was should each car have the Blue light on top to be categorised as such. Just looks like free parking for most to me, they even leave the hand brakes off the cars on Pearse St, so that they can move them if another 'official car' is blocking their exit. They even park on the footpath on Harcourt St.

If anyone is up around Harcourt St or Pearse St direction, perhaps they can take a pic and post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would prefer to see them park in a loading bay rather than a disable parking spot. If they used one of these there would be something to complain about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Photos please and maybe a cc to the Garda Commissioner asking for an explanation, make sure the number plate and roof call sign is included as well as location and time of photo with geo co-ords if possible, they will have scoffed their last breakfast roll while abusing their power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RoverJames wrote: »
    Gorging themselves on a big fry is hardly on duty,.

So now the issue is what food they eat? Would you like to submit a list of foods and places they can use for breaks that you approve of?

Whats the difference whether they go to a cafe and have a fry or sit in their car and have a sandwich? Where and what do you have for lunch?

Photos please and maybe a cc to the Garda Commissioner asking for an explanation, make sure the number plate and roof call sign is included as well as location and time of photo with geo co-ords if possible, they will have scoffed their last breakfast roll while abusing their power.

Have people really not got better things to occupy themselves with?:rolleyes:

If anyone does do this I hope it's not done on their employers time, cos the righteous can't be abusing their power.

Stekelly wrote: »
    So now the issue is what food they eat? Would you like to submit a list of foods and places they can use for breaks that you approve of?

Whats the difference whether they go to a cafe and have a fry or sit in their car and have a sandwich? Where and what do you have for lunch?

It was breakfast not lunch apparently according to the OP, I spent a year on the road as a sales engineer, I rarely had the time to visit a restaurant for breakfast, if I did I would be late home. I find it hard to fathom how guards can visit the same restaurant five days a week if they are dedicated 100% to the job. For breakfast I typically have 2 slices of brown bread & a bowl of grapes with plain yoghurt, this morning I had two grilled sausages as well as It's Monday which I find quite depressing.

I would have loved to have popped out to a restaurant (there's one two 200 yards away) but I only get 15 minutes for morning break so I wouldn't have enough time.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Have people really not got better things to occupy themselves with?:rolleyes:

Like setting up a 30kmph speed check on the quays?

Be great if everyone could do this course, thus allowing every driver to use their mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

the vast majority of gardai i see nowadays are very young compared to the age profile of members a decade or so ago;
    it can be argued that this is a good thing in that a younger force is fitter and thus better able to fight crime;
    however, i believe that the scarcity of older, more mature members is having a very detrimental effect on the force;
    the old sweats had a stabilising influence on the young turks but in their absence the young bucks seem to have lost the run of themselves and appear to be a law unto themselves;
    sad really that such a fine community service has deteriorated into a rabble.

The Celtic Tiger hit the guards hard I reckon, at the height of the boom it wasn't seen as an attractive option. Many of the force now don't have much of a physical presence at all, coupled with all the rest of the issues, it ain't good.

Yeah its a pity that there arent a few older guys out there to "learn" the yobs a thing or two....as the baseball cap says "NO FEAR".....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement