Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 6: Chicken & Chorizo Rice Bake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

We had this last night, lovely as always :D I added a few green beans to the mix with 5-10 mins to go in the oven for a bit of colour and veg. Even have leftovers for lunch today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

i got a cheap bottle of wine that was on offer in tesco only €4.. am totally broke.. anyway does the quality of wine matter a lot?? heres hoping it doesn't, gonna make it tommorrow!

The rice cooks in the chicken stock and wine in the oven right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

susanroth wrote: »
    i got a cheap bottle of wine that was on offer in tesco only €4.. am totally broke.. anyway does the quality of wine matter a lot?? heres hoping it doesn't, gonna make it tommorrow!
    Yeah, it'll be fine with cheap wine. Most of the flavour comes from the chicken stock and chorizo anyway.
    susanroth wrote: »
    The rice cooks in the chicken stock and wine in the oven right?
    yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bouncey

That looks absolutely lovely and it is making me hungry. Might have to make it this weekend now. Yummy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Yum :) I made this on Monday night, it went down well!! Thanks for the recipe!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Winner. 4 thumbs-up here.

Chicken_dish.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Will you please stop robbing my pot Mr Mag! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Des wrote: »

It'd be grand if you found it full of yummy things like that though when you came home from work!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Cork_girl wrote: »
    It'd be grand if you found it full of yummy things like that though when you came home from work!!

i usually do :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Des wrote: »

Any excuse will do for me to take out that pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Yummmm

I made this last night and it was fab.

I altered it a bit though. I'm used chickpeas instead of rice and used coriander. Will def be making it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Here's my attempt. I'm not mad about rice, but my oh loved it. He's having it again tomorrow! Loved the chorizo. Very filling too - handy one to serve if people coming for supper I think. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Just made this this evening.

It was dead tasty and best of all enough made for tomorrows dinner too.

Thanks for recipe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just made this. It was very tasty. I'll definitely make it again. And I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Just getting around to trying the Cooking Club recipes now.

Had to make do with pre-sliced chicken breasts - probably would have been way juicier with skin-on fillets - and without fresh parsley. Chucked in some leftover courgette that was skulking in the fridge.

Yummy. Thanks, Mr. Franko!

Taking advantage of the oven being on for Khannie's flapjacks too... :)

Looks good!

Just putting up a pic of my week 8 attempt and realised I never put up the my effort on a plate...

jV8X4.jpg

i made this a few days ago great recipe! i messed it up a bit though, am not good with rice, used brown rice as well which i think was a bad choice and went through the whole i dunno if its done yet sure it must be.. well it wasnt really.:P taasted a lot better the second day and next time will not use brown rice:P will post my pics tomoro as im sure your all awaiting:cool: lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

I used brown rice too and thought it wasn't as nice as it might have been with white rice! Rice was too hard or something?

I'll try it again with white rice I think.

106472.jpg

Yeah i'll have to try it with rice think brown rice and chorizo isn't a great mix and my rice was hard too.
    Overall i'd have to say i didn't do a great job on this one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

This is a great idea, everything in the thread looks so delicious. I'm going to buy all the ingredients tomorrow and have a go at this

• Advertisement

Brown rice takes a lot longer to cook and needs a more liquid to absorb too so it wouldn't work well with the recipe as listed. I'm not the biggest fan of brown rice (bought one bag years ago and decided it wasn't for me!) so I've never tried tweaking the recipe to work with it but if I did I'd probably start with an extra 400 ml of stock/wine and doubling the cooking time and see how it went.

Sorry, I can't offer more help! Maybe someone here else can?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Made this last night - mmmmmm very tasty :D Very impressed with the recipe - thanks :D

Going to make it for Mothers day for my mum as she loves chirozo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I finally got round to making this last night and I loved loved loved it! It seemed to cook a lot quicker for me but that's not a negative! This has won a place in my top 10 dinners list definitely. My OH didn't like it though... And couldn't specify what about it he didn't like!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I absolutely love this! The smoothness and flavour of the rice alone is amazing. It's so easy and I'd say indeed very forgiving, nice1franko. Thanks!

I roughly used about 500g of rice and checked the oven after 35 minutes and it was ready to eat. Sorry for the pic, I added the parsley on the plates and the hunger dictated the "eat first - pic later" :o

phpcpgNuFPM.jpg

Couldn't find skin on fillets and I knew the skin was going to be kinda imported. So I too used part boned fillets. I cheated a bit by adding a bit more chorizo than in the recipe :D

Glad you liked it - it looks gorgeous. I'm always generous with the chorizo too (although only about the right amount makes it to the plates :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

(although only about the right amount makes it to the plates :D )

That's the cook's prerogative :D

I had a 300g double chorizo and there really isn't that much left of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Blue_Light

This might seem like a bit of a ridiculous question but I'm new to cooking so I've nothing to lose :) What kind of a pot is that that you're cooking in? It looks more ceramic than a regular saucepan. We just have the bog standard silver saucepans here, so just wondering do I need to branch out on a new one, or what the advantages were of those kind in the picture?

It's an iron pot with an enamel finish. I think I got my one in Homestore for about 20 euro.

As far as I know, the main advantage is it diffuses heat more evenly (so you tend to burn things to the bottom of it less) and in general you cook things a bit more evenly.

That doesn't matter when you have it in the oven though -so makes no diff for this recipe. You can put any oul pot in the oven- even ones with pyrex lids.

They retain heat for a good while which can be handy especially since they look alright as well so you might be able to get away with serving from it in the middle of the table.

I'm not sure exactly what it is... they just feel nice to cook in!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

This recepie sounds really good. Will be cooking it tonight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Cooked this today, couldnt get a hold of raw chorizo so had to used cooked. Made a big pot of it so have loads of leftovers :pac:

xZl_r.jpg

KK9I9.jpg

Advertisement