Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dslr to spotting scope advice

• 08-02-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have a Sony alpha dslr and recently got a spotting scope and would love to get the camera connected to it.
    The spotting scope was got from Aldi.

From the googling i've done so far i see you can get a T-mount to connect to telescopes and spotting scopes.
    My question is do i have to get a fancy expensive Spotting scope that can connect to the t-mount or can they connect to any old (aldi) spotting scope?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

The t adaptor usually (my knowledge of this is basic) fits into the scope where the eyepiece goes, if your scope doesn't have interchangable eyepieces then you're in trouble I think.

This is probably more complex than you need but it shows the idea quite well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This is what I got when I held my phone to the eyepiece of my Fujinon Binocs which were on a tripod:

Binocs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cnocbui wrote: »
    This is what I got when I held my phone to the eyepiece of my Fujinon Binocs which were on a tripod:
    That's not bad actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

Nice pic considering how it was taken.
    I'm looking for a setup to get good moon shots so wanted something more fixed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Just a note, it IS a scope. NOT a telescope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

HxGH wrote: »
    Just a note, it IS a scope. NOT a telescope.

and your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I have just tried connecting my Sony A100 to a Celestron scope. Got the T adapter off ebay which fits the DSLR. My scope has 1.5 eyepiece adapter which is standard for astro scopes but I'd be pretty sure that most inexpensive spotting scopes come with either non-removable eyepieces or else propriety sizes.

So you may have to try the afocal method instead (google prime V afocal )

at any rate, I was disappointed with quality - got great zoom power but images were very soft, as you'd expect from such long focal length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

gerkeo wrote: »
    and your point is?

..Just thought I'd mention it..

Advertisement