Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung plasma tv's

Options
  • 08-02-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,
    Not sure if im in right forum but if not please move.

just wondering if anybody had any issues with samsung plasma tv's - we spent 2700 on a samsung kit just over 2 years ago - 42" tv, dvd player, stand and surround sound. and believe it or not d tv went wonky last nite - colour is totally gone and all the picture is totally distorted.

we went back to where we bought it this morning and were told that our warranty only covers us for up to a year!! needless to say i am bitterly dissapointed and would have thought that samsung would at least have had a look at it to see what was wrong. but no....

has anybody had any similar experience like this with samsung?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your contract is with the retailer. Under consumer law, you can expect a product to last a reasonable lifetime. In the case of a TV, that can definitely be expected to be more than 2 years.

I would return to the retailer, stating that the television is within it's reasonable lifetime, and that as per your consumer rights, you would like a refund/repair/replacement. If they are still reluctant, be prepared to inform them that you will take the case to the Small Claims Court.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And before you take it to the SCC send a written letter in formal tone with out whining to the head office of the store giving them a reasonble (10 working days) time to respond and address your complaint. Include the store you bought it in, the person you spoke to's (preferably manager) name (inform the person this is for the complaint letter to allow the HQ to follow up on the issue), the cost of the TV and the exact the purchase date.

This will usually fulfill the requirement of taking the complain procedure of the company to it's end before going to the SSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anniela

Hi all thanks very much for taking the time to reply ..... im so glad i posted this as otherwise i would just have left it be after being told i was wasting my time this morning ...... went back to the store armed with all my consumer rights and at the start he wasnt any way accommodating of my complaint but eventually after a lot of trashing out he agreed to contact his regional manager (mind you this was after i said i was going to small claims court!!) he's to contact me again this evening so i will let u all know of the outcome... thank you all again for the help and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Same thing happened us with a Samsung TV - paid over E2,500 for it and it went completely about 2 years later.

Having spent so much money we were gutted also that it completely broke down after just 2 years of light use!

Shop where we bought it were no help as it was just out of warranty, Samsung didn't want to know either..

Twas a bitter lesson at the time, however we've both vowed never to touch a Samsung again after our last experience.

We found out too that what happened our TV was a common fault and lots of people's Samsungs broke down also, there had been a flood of complaints about this fault in their TV's, so Samsung knew about it and still wouldn't repair even though there was a known fault with them :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

anniela wrote: »
    his regional manager (mind you this was after i said i was going to small claims court!!) he's to contact me again this evening
    You can start writing that letter while waiting for the phone call as come tomorrow morning you'll be posting it with out having gotten that call (and you'll only get that call once the letter reaches the HQ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I had similar problems with a 52" Samsung although I only had it 9 months. Samsung did repair the TV. Would have thought a TV even a plasma one would last more than 9 months. Engineer assured me it wasn't a common fault but before he left my house I showed him pages and pages of complaints about their product. Fcuker was dumb struck and could offer no explanation other than the company line "it's not a common fault"

i actually thought that Samsung would have been one of the "better" brands ..... its not even the fact that its broken thats got to me its just the total unprofessional and couldn't care less attitude by the shop that really got my back up!!! - i'll definitely be writing my letter of complaint to head office if i dont hear anything back this evening

Hey guys,

just a quick update - i've had a phonecall from the manager to say he's forwarded an email to Samsung and will be back in touch with me when he knows more. im really really sceptical about this and feel he's just trying to buy time - as why he would be trying that i dont know - but i really dont want the whole thing to drag on and on.do ye think i should go ahead and write my letter of complaint to the head office?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Considering the way they handled your complaint initially, I wouldn't hold out hope for him to get back to you at all, ever. Your contract is not with Samsung, it's with them. If Samsung say no, the retailer is still obliged to repair the TV. Sounds like they are trying to pass the buck. Did you ask him what he'll do if Samsung say no?

I would give him a working week and then send off the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Did you ever get this sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Paddytheman - please do not bring back up old threads. Closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement