Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motivated and intelligent employee at Halfords.

• 08-02-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just abit of a rant about when I was in Halfords, can I say the branch?

I looked up an item and found it on their website, checked it was in stock and headed over. It was an anti freeze tester, couldn't see it on the shelves but could see a more expensive one. Went to the fella that worked there and asked him about it, said no, the dearer one is the only one they had, I asked him was he sure as I had checked the other one on the website and said it was in stock, he just said point blank no, that's the only one. He was totally stupid and unhelpful and to be honest, was confident he was wrong. I went home, found the item, reserved it online, printed the form and went back up. Went to another fella there and he went and got it not a bother. When I was queing to pay, the fool was there telling someone the stuff they needed to install a car stereo which was completely wrong. I made sure to hold up the cheaper anti freeze tester very obviously when I was going to pay for it so he could see that I knew more about his job than he did.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Halfords is no more than a DIY supermarket for cars & bicycles, most employees are paid minimum wage or close to that and wouldn't have the training or experience. If you want proper advice you are better off going to a factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Halfords is no more than a DIY supermarket for cars & bicycles, most employees are paid minimum wage or close to that and wouldn't have the training or experience. If you want proper advice you are better off going to a factors.

Wasn't advice I wanted. I knew exactly what I wanted and knew it was in stock, he told me it wasn't and I had to go home and reserve it and come back to actually get it.

Most of the Halfords folk are quite clueless, you would think there would be many folk interested in cars wanting to work there though, they seem to only hire folk that don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And there was me hoping this post did what it said on the tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Honestly, did you expect them to be fully trained mechanics?

at the point where you had to go home, you should have gone to a factors, if you're unhappy then don't give them your money.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »

at the point where you had to go home, you should have gone to a factors, if you're unhappy then don't give them your money.

Sorry, did you read the original post? I was not asking for mechanical advice.

I did go to a motor factors, the item was 15 euro, in halfords it was €2.50.

Ush1 wrote: »

I was saying that regarding the wrong advice they were giving regarding a stereo installation. I asked a guy in Halfords about some alloys before - he said they'd fit the car no problem, when I got them, they wouldn't fit without spacers, he assured me they'd be safe, I got my money back!

I was saying that regarding the wrong advice they were giving regarding a stereo installation. I asked a guy in Halfords about some alloys before - he said they'd fit the car no problem, when I got them, they wouldn't fit without spacers, he assured me they'd be safe, I got my money back!

Well that was just the icing on the cake. I mean I went in there knowing something was in stock and how much it was and he didn't, he didn't even check ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i find that very hard to believe

what was the price of the one they had not the one they didn't have?

halfords site shows two a ethelyne glycol tester and a ethelyne glycol / methanol tester

what type of antifreeze do you use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I went to halfords for a battery for the car, asked for one that would fit, paid €115 brought it home, wouldn't fit.

So, I went back, got my €115 back, went to the local motor factors 5 minutes down the road from Halfords, asked for a battery that would fit, paid €50 brought it home and it fit perfectly!

Dunno why I went to Halfords in the first place! I knew they were useless anyway

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    i find that very hard to believe

what was the price of the one they had not the one they didn't have?

The one they had and what he thought was the "only one" they had, was €7.50. Find it hard to believe? I'll tell you which motor factors it was and send a link to the testers item pages on Halfords.ie.:)

ethelyne glycol mine is.

draffodx wrote: »
    I went to halfords for a battery for the car, asked for one that would fit, paid €115 brought it home, wouldn't fit.

So, I went back, got my €115 back, went to the local motor factors 5 minutes down the road from Halfords, asked for a battery that would fit, paid €50 brought it home and it fit perfectly!

Dunno why I went to Halfords in the first place! I knew they were useless anyway

Again, that wouldn't bother me but the fact was I knew exactly what I wanted and knew they had it.

The one they had and what he thought was the "only one" they had, was €7.50. Find it hard to believe? I'll tell you which motor factors it was and send a link to the testers item pages on Halfords.ie.:)

ethelyne glycol mine is.

it cant be the same item the item you mean is halfords brand so no factor would have it

i gaurentee that my factor is 20 -30 % cheaper for all branded products and on batterys bulbs and wipers its more like 50%

it cant be the same item the item you mean is halfords brand so no factor would have it

i gaurentee that my factor is 20 -30 % cheaper for all branded products and on batterys bulbs and wipers its more like 50%

I never said it was the same item, just a suitable anti freeze tester. In fact, the motor factor had one for 24 euro they were trying to sell me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Again, that wouldn't bother me but the fact was I knew exactly what I wanted and knew they had it.

Just unlucky to get some retard then, did you complain to management?

ethelyne glycol mine is.

I never said it was the same item, just a suitable anti freeze tester. In fact, the motor factor had one for 24 euro they were trying to sell me.

first the same item was 2.50 / 15
    then 7.50 / 15
    then you never said it was the same item

i bored now

draffodx wrote: »
    Just unlucky to get some retard then, did you complain to management?

No but I was thinking would sending an e-mail to their customer services make a difference?

then 7.50 / 15

i bored now

No, it's quite simple. The original tester I was going up to the buy was 2.50, he said the only one they had was 7.50, a different one. I then went to the factor, they said they had one for 15 euro but were trying to sell me one for 24. You may find it hard to believe but the factor was charging more, far more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

then 7.50 / 15

i bored now

You fail at trying to be a smartarse.

€7.50 was the price of the one they had in stock but the OP wasn't enquiring about. €2.50 was the price of the one the OP had wanted, and eventually ended up getting. €15 was the price of the equivalent item elsewhere. Makes perfect sense when you actually read his posts, and not just skim over them whilst sighing sarcastically.

You fail at trying to be a smartarse.

€7.50 was the price of the one they had in stock but the OP wasn't enquiring about. €2.50 was the price of the one the OP had wanted, and eventually ended up getting. €15 was the price of the equivalent item elsewhere. Makes perfect sense when you actually read his posts, and not just skim over them whilst sighing sarcastically.

i didn't skim

the one for 2.50 is not equivalent to a factors tester it only does ethelyne glycol

the one for 750 is a very low grade hydrometer thats confusing to use and is halfords branded

anyone who knows about servicing and repairing their own cars would know that factors constantly and consistantly represent better value than halfords

the information on here should reflectthat

also there is no need to use trerms of enderment

• Advertisement

i didn't skim

Look at your post HERE.

Look at the first two parts you highlighted in Red. You're implying that he's contradicting himself by saying it costs €2.50 then he changes the price to €7.50 - when in actual fact he's referring to 2 different items - both in Halfords.
    And he never said the factor price was for the same item - it was for an equivalent item: i.e. an item that does the same job. Stop trying to make him sound like a jabroni when he has been perfectly clear so far. All the things you highlighted in Red are things that make perfect sense - you just quoted them out of context to try & make him look foolish.
    And my "term of endearment" is perfectly valid, since you were trying to be a smartarse by quoting him out of context & trying to make it look like he was contradicting himself when he wasn't (and even adding your little patronising "i bored now" comment at the end), but you failed because I pulled you on it. Hence, you failed at being a smartarse.

may all your children be force to buy thier car related sundry items in halfords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

No but I was thinking would sending an e-mail to their customer services make a difference?

Wouldn't bother. They went to town on my car once. It's like talking to a machine. Complete computer says no scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

may all your children be force to buy thier car related sundry items in halfords

I guess this is your attempt to back down? I'd suggest you do it in a more graceful manner next time.

The OP was quite clear in what he was trying to say. The product in question is completely irrelevant anyway. The point of the post is that the guy in halfords was to f**king lazy to bother his ass to go and get the item.

I would have made such a scene and put everyone out of the stop. That lad in halfords deserves to have is testicals cut off - we'll see if he's too lazy to go and get the correct product then!!!!

/Rant

Shane732 wrote: »
    I guess this is your attempt to back down? I'd suggest you do it in a more graceful manner next time.

The OP was quite clear in what he was trying to say. The product in question is completely irrelevant anyway. The point of the post is that the guy in halfords was to f**king lazy to bother his ass to go and get the item.

I would have made such a scene and put everyone out of the stop. That lad in halfords deserves to have is testicals cut off - we'll see if he's too lazy to go and get the correct product then!!!!

/Rant

no
    i have no interest in backing down standing up or dancing around

motor factors are the way to go

if he wants to shop in halfords thats his issue but people coming here for advice need to be informed correctly

price comparisons are only fair on a like for like item

the opo clearly inferred that it was the same item

now apperantly he was price comparasioning compleatly different items

omg i priced some chinese tyres in halfords and the were 20 quid and i priced soime bridgestones and they were 100 in advance so as they are similar tyres i'll say advance are dearer than halfords

no

if he wants to shop in halfords thats his issue but people coming here for advice need to be informed correctly

omg i priced some chinese tyres in halfords and the were 20 quid and i priced soime bridgestones and they were 100 in advance so as they are similar tyres i'll say advance are dearer than halfords

Do you always miss the point of things? What you're talking about is completely irrelevant anyway. The ones in the motor factor were of the exact same specification. The point was he was too lazy or stupid to check something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

No but a bit of customer service wouldn't kill them though. I don't expect my waitresses to be chefs...

Do you always miss the point of things? What you're talking about is completely irrelevant anyway. The ones in the motor factor were of the exact same specification. The point was he was too lazy or stupid to check something.

i seldom miss the point

you were advised to use a motor factors in future, i agree with this. you said they were dearer; my point is they are not dearer on branded products they may be dearer on "similar products"

halfords staff are generally disinterested as are tesco and tkmax staff i agree with you there.

to anyone who acually wants to service and maintain thier own car i would say don't use halfords use a motor factors.

i seldom miss the point

you were advised to use a motor factors in future, i agree with this. you said they were dearer; my point is they are not dearer on branded products they may be dearer on "similar products"

halfords staff are generally disinterested as are tesco and tkmax staff i agree with you there.

to anyone who acually wants to service and maintain thier own car i would say don't use halfords use a motor factors.

So you did miss the point.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

no the point of your post was to say that one person in halfords was a bit lazy and you called it motivated and intelligent employee at halfords which in it gself was missing the point.

it was in my opinion more of a consumer issue

but the motors issue is that halfords is not the best place to purchase goods for use on cars

this is the motors forum,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I shop in Halfords and a few local motor factors, but had to laugh recently
    when i asked the chap behind the counter had he any "frost plugs" in stock,
    i was putting one on an Opel engine.
    He didnt know what they were and told me "B+Q next door might stock them!".

Muckie wrote: »
    when i asked the chap behind the counter had he any "frost plugs" in stock, i was putting one on an Opel engine.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Halfords seem to have some arrangement with the social welfare offices around the country. I know of one person who was on the dole for donkey's years. Now claims some form of disability allowance instead. He is starting a part time 2 day a week job this week in Halfords and will get circa 30 quid more on top of his state sw pay.

If people support big retailers that operate like this well then they only have themselves to blame. You pay peanuts you get monkies. While I have nothing against businesses giving people jobs for work experience, when they take advantage and still charge their customers rip off prices as well, that's not on.

no the point of your post was to say that one person in halfords was a bit lazy and you called it motivated and intelligent employee at halfords which in it gself was missing the point.

but the motors issue is that halfords is not the best place to purchase goods for use on cars

Yes, it's a consumer issue that involves a shop for cars. Can you go off on any more of a tangent?

Yes, it's a consumer issue that involves a shop for cars. Can you go off on any more of a tangent?

they don't sell cars

• Advertisement

TomMc wrote: »
    Halfords seem to have some arrangement with the social welfare offices around the country. I know of one person who was on the dole for donkey's years. Now claims some form of disability allowance instead. He is starting a part time 2 day a week job this week in Halfords and will get circa 30 quid more on top of his state sw pay.

If people support big retailers that operate like this well then they only have themselves to blame. You pay peanuts you get monkies. While I have nothing against businesses giving people jobs for work experience, when they take advantage and still charge their customers rip off prices as well, that's not on.

I agree, I'll always go to where the product I want is cheapest.

when i asked the chap behind the counter had he any "frost plugs" in stock,
    i was putting one on an Opel engine.

I use both also but never bother asking Halfords about products. I'll find what I need on their website and just reserve it from now on. As I illustrated, even if he knew what it was you were asking for, he may not have bothered checking if they had any.

they don't sell cars

:rolleyes: He never said they did.
    Ush1 wrote:
    a shop for cars

You've actually managed to miss nearly every point the OP has made, you've concentrated your points on irrelevant issues, and nitpicked at things that you've quoted out of context. Good job!

:rolleyes: He never said they did.

You've actually managed to miss nearly every point the OP has made, you've concentrated your points on irrelevant issues, and nitpicked at things that you've quoted out of context. Good job!

did you have a nice lunchbreak?

The bottom line is if you're going to Halfords, don't expect help...

I went to the radio/electronics section in Halfords one day and asked for an fm band expander, the guy didn't have a clue what it was! It's almost like asking a butcher for sausages and just getting a blank stare in return.

Halfords.... train your staff ffs!

• Advertisement

The bottom line is if you're going to Halfords, don't expect help...

I went to the radio/electronics section in Halfords one day and asked for an fm band expander, the guy didn't have a clue what it was! It's almost like asking a butcher for sausages and just getting a blank stare in return.

Halfords.... train your staff ffs!

its like asking a butcxher for sausages getting a blank stare him giving you a beef burger and charging €15 per lb

Halfords good for

- oil when it is reduced substantially
    - ICE, when reduced substantially
    - 2 for 3 on car cleaning, handy for tyre shine etc

Everthing else you can't beat the local factors, friendly & helpful staff who seem to enjoy their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Where are all the motor factors?

I always end up going to halfords because I've no idea where to find a motor factors.:o

i asked the chap behind the counter had he any "frost plugs" in stock,

When I worked in a factors we didn't stock them, wouldn't really blame a counter sales lad for not knowing what a frost plug is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Ah i didnt go nuts at him for not knowing what a frost plug was,
    just thought he might since he was in the Parts department.
    Like going between Halfords and the Motor factors for bits and pieces
    they can vary on price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They all seem to own souped up pieces of poo :D And in fact know nothing about cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

did you have a nice lunchbreak?
    they don't sell cars
    lol

i seldom miss the point

no

then 7.50 / 15

i bored now

I bored now

• Registered Users Posts: 23 --paul--

I made sure to hold up the cheaper anti freeze tester very obviously when I was going to pay for it so he could see that I knew more about his job than he did.:rolleyes:

Wow,you really showed him!And then you come on to boards to rant about him,you are the definition of a keyboard warrior!!

Would you not grow a pair and say it to him instead of wasting your time on boards whining about him!!

--paul-- wrote: »
    Wow,you really showed him!And then you come on to boards to rant about him,you are the definition of a keyboard warrior!!

Would you not grow a pair and say it to him instead of wasting your time on boards whining about him!!

So saying it to him wouldn't be wasting my time?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 --paul--

So saying it to him wouldn't be wasting my time?

No because next time he might cop on and check the stockroom in future if you call him out and prove him wrong,or if he's really pissing you off that much say it to his supervisor and get him fired.

hardly wasting your time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement