Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using someone elses broadband

• 08-02-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Here is the situation:

We bought an apartment a year ago but waited until now to organise Broadband with Vodafone. I tried setting it up with them but they were haveing problems with Eircom. I connected the router that Vodafone had provided and we were getting 7.2 mb connection (we had requested 3mb form vodafone)

Turns out the developer used our apartment as a site office and never switchd off their broadband connection and fax number. I contacted Eircom but they said that the company were still paying the bill only they could disconnect the line. I rang the devolper and they said there was nothing they could do and I could do it but Eircom have advised my on a number of occasions it most be them.

So I have a free router from Vodafone, they can't charge me until the account is created and I have broadband in my aprtment that the devolper is paying for. Should i use it and if I do would I be liable then for their Eircom Business bill.

Any help would be appreciated. I just want the internet, this is going on for close to a month now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If you want to make an issue of it, you could show eircom proof of ownership and insist that the previous line be disconnected/transferred to you.

Get in touch with Comreg if you find that eircom are stalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Do you think this would work? I really don't want to use someone elses connection but I want my internet sorted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If the eircom line is in your name they you have say of what services are on your line, if the ADSL service is enabled under another partys name then eircom must remove this.

Lodge a formal complaint with eircom and failing that contact comreg and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think I would inform the developer that their connection still exists, requesting them to remove it as it is interfering with my ability to get connected through my own arrangement/ISP.

I might then inform them that as they are responsible for the situation it is my intention to use their connection until they remove it, in lieu of any compensation I might claim against them for their interference with my ability to make my own connection arrangements.

I would give them 7 days to remove their connection after which I would begin to use it under the terms outlined above.

But that is just me of course ........ :D ...... I would not advise anyone else to follow my inclination .......

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Thats the mad thing they have been paying for a line for over a year includin broadband. Emailed the Comreg for there take on it.

Eircom have said I need a solicitors letter if I want to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement