Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest 3g payg for roaming

Options
  • 08-02-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

im thinking of going around europe this spring/summer (france, italy) what payg 3g network is cheapest for data roaming. i know three have a like home tarrif, but their networks are few & far between? i suppose an option is a uk payg like orange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Vodafone Live give 99c day roaming anywhere it works, which is pretty much anywhere in Europe. This is as good a deal as you'll get in any country for a bit of phone browsing, as long as full modem functionality is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ardmacha wrote: »
    Vodafone Live give 99c day roaming anywhere it works, which is pretty much anywhere in Europe. This is as good a deal as you'll get in any country for a bit of phone browsing, as long as full modem functionality is not needed.

Are you sure as im sure its over 7e a mb when roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

snaps wrote: »
    Are you sure as im sure its over 7e a mb when roaming?

http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/internetmobile/faq

I quote:

"What about roaming and Mobile Internet?
    Vodafone Mobile Internet is the same price when roaming abroad as at
    home. The service will be accessible from any country where we have a
    3G or GPRS roaming agreement."

Mind you, this is only for the live.vodafone.com APN, the isp.vodafone.ie APN has the expensive tariff you mention when roaming.

blaz wrote: »
    http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/internetmobile/faq

I quote:

"What about roaming and Mobile Internet?
    Vodafone Mobile Internet is the same price when roaming abroad as at
    home. The service will be accessible from any country where we have a
    3G or GPRS roaming agreement."

Mind you, this is only for the live.vodafone.com APN, the isp.vodafone.ie APN has the expensive tariff you mention when roaming.

Do you need to buy a add on/passport/360?

Seems too good to be true?

What does this mean: "live.vodafone.com APN, the isp.vodafone.ie APN has the expensive tariff you mention when roaming"

If i join vodafone ill be PAYG and will be using my sim in a Windows mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Can anyone confirm that this is true about 99c roaming abroad with vodafone?

Im heading to Germany for a few days and cheap 3g would be nice on my desire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that this is true about 99c roaming abroad with vodafone?

Im heading to Germany for a few days and cheap 3g would be nice on my desire :)

This has been confirmed many many many times on this forum and even twice in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

blaz wrote: »
    This has been confirmed many many many times on this forum and even twice in this thread.

Fair enough, im just asking. Iv been caught out by Vodafone before.

im 2 months abroad now with vodafone, been using internet every day (Im on 360 so get the 39c a day), been making texts using the cabbage app, received about 10 calls and made a handfull of calls. Don't think ive used 30€ credit yet!

Im also signed up to passport by the way.

Another note, im using windows mobile phone so i have my phone attached to a laptop for browsing whilst on a 3g network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

On my Iphone (I'm on the vodafone 500 package with 2GB data per month) the network settings for Data Roaming are set to off. The description says 'Turn data roaming off when abroad to avoid substantial roaming charges when using email, MMS, web browsing, and other data services'.

As my phone is a work phone, I am leaving it this way as I don't want to come home to substantial charges but I'm probably being over-cautious here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

i just switched to 3 because i am in italy quite often, and thought i could use the 3 like at home tariff , however i just saw that italy is included only on contract while i am on 3pay.

does anyone know how much would the internet cost if i roam on 3italy using prepay?

the vodafone offer for 39c seems very tempting indeed..

Just a note here about vodafone. For the included 99c a day (Or 39c a day with 360) you have to be using the live APN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

snaps wrote: »
    Just a note here about vodafone. For the included 99c a day (Or 39c a day with 360) you have to be using the live APN

Can anyone explain what the difference is exactly between "live APN" and "ISP APN" that has been mentioned here, and what effect the difference between the two has on the browsing experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Be aware that Vodafone will be increasing their prepaid data roaming charges by 200%+ shortly.

Advertisement