Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL team of the decade-midfield

• 08-02-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Okay to get this get back up and running again lads. Nominations in lads and then will put up poll later on. will concentrate on two wide berths after deliberations.

wide positions 199 votes

Giggs
    0% 0 votes
    Ronaldo
    31% 62 votes
    Duff
    31% 62 votes
    Robben
    6% 13 votes
    Pires
    4% 8 votes
    Ljunberg
    13% 26 votes
    Other
    4% 8 votes
    Aaron Lennon
    4% 8 votes
    Joe Cole
    3% 6 votes
    Andy Reid
    3% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Keane, Gerrard, Lampard, Viera, Essien, Fabregas, Scholes.

We can nominate whoever else we want but it is going to be two of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Okay to get this get back up and running again lads. Nominations in lads and then will put up poll later on.

any particular position?

I'm gonna vote for all 4 now...

Giggs - Scholes - Gerrard - Ronaldo

Not sure about the balance of the midfield, would like a defensive player in there but don't know who to go for. Keane was a great player United over his career - but I feel he was a poor shadow of himself from 2003/04 onwards at least. Vieira left Arsenal in 05, so he had 5 years of play.

Fabregas has been great since 04 or 05 too.

Some tough choices. I think Giggs and Ronaldo are fairly certain of spots, but there are a load of choices for the CM spots, with people like Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Fabregas, Vieira, Essien and I'm sure there are others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

noodler wrote: »
    Keane, Gerrard, Lampard, Viera, Essien, Fabregas, Scholes.

We can nominate whoever else we want but it is going to be two of the above.
    thats good selection. Was thinking of putting in S Ireland, Barry and Alonso in as well. But yeah but would think its between Gerrard, Lampard and Fabregas and Scholes for the four places

any particular position?

I'm gonna vote for all 4 now...

Giggs - Scholes - Gerrard - Ronaldo

Not sure about the balance of the midfield, would like a defensive player in there but don't know who to go for. Keane was a great player United over his career - but I feel he was a poor shadow of himself from 2003/04 onwards at least. Vieira left Arsenal in 05, so he had 5 years of play.

Fabregas has been great since 04 or 05 too.

Some tough choices. I think Giggs and Ronaldo are fairly certain of spots, but there are a load of choices for the CM spots, with people like Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Fabregas, Vieira, Essien and I'm sure there are others too.
    yes may just go for four midfield to speed things up a bit. So nominate two wingers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Robert Pires worth consideration against Ronaldo?

• Advertisement

Yes Pires another good choice there (forgetting that penalty he made a hames of a few years ago, for those who don't remember see below). not sure about Vierra as he has been away from Premiership awhile now. Post poll up this evening.

Okay I assumed central midfield.

I don't think S.Ireland has done nearly enough in two years to be nominated for a PL team of the decade.

If anything people like Alonso, Masch, Carrick, Ballack and Gilberto would be more worthy of mention for central midfield.

Duff, Ronaldo, Pires, Robben, Giggs, Joe.Cole, SWP, Freddie (perhaps?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

thats good selection. Was thinking of putting in S Ireland, Barry and Alonso in as well. But yeah but would think its between Gerrard, Lampard and Fabregas and Scholes for the four places

Stephen Ireland has done nothing worthy of a mention.

Barry isn't in the same league as others mentioned, but is probably worth a nomination.

Alonso, probably is close enough to the class of others, and is worth a nomination at the very least,.

It should be the list that Noodler mentioned plus Makelele, plus a couple of pointless borderlines like Alonso, Barry, Hamann.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland has done nothing worthy of a mention.

Barry isn't in the same league as others mentioned, but is probably worth a nomination.

Alonso, probably is close enough to the class of others, and is worth a nomination at the very least,.

It should be the list that Noodler mentioned plus Makelele, plus a couple of pointless borderlines like Alonso, Barry, Hamann.
    Yes do remember Gerrard mentioning Makelele as toughest midfielder he played against.
    And of course there is Michael Essien as well.

I knew I had underrepresented Chelsea.

I think Hamann is a worthy nomination (I would) for a few seasons at Newcastle as well.

EDIT: Actually, he probably spent all his 2000s at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

not sure about Vierra as he has been away from Premiership awhile now. Post poll up this evening.

Vieira was playing great football in the league for 5 years of this decade, Ronaldo for 6. To be honest, if you leave out Vieira you should consider leaving out Ronaldo too!

jasonorr wrote: »
    Vieira was playing great football in the league for 5 years of this decade, Ronaldo for 6. To be honest, if you leave out Vieira you should consider leaving out Ronaldo too!

We are considering Viera - of course we are!

Okay for time being lets concentrate on two wide positions and return to two CM berths in awhile.

Duff and Robben because it just looked deadly.

Realistically I don't see Giggs not getting one spot.

Ronaldo for pure goals or Pires for artistry (and end product too of course).

this needs to be organised better then SOTS.

change the OP, and make it obvious we're talking about wide players.

Duff, Robben, Giggs, Ronaldo, Pires, Ljungberg should be the main contenders.

nominations to the likes of Downing, Lennon, Ashley Young...then I'm struggling. i don't even like the look of those three for various reasons.

this needs to be organised better then SOTS.

change the OP, and make it obvious we're talking about wide players.

Duff, Robben, Giggs, Ronaldo, Pires, Ljungberg should be the main contenders.

nominations to the likes of Downing, Lennon, Ashley Young...then I'm struggling. i don't even like the look of those three for various reasons.
    not forgetting we also have subs to consider. maybe five. Happy to go with wide men then if Mod can change it. Poll is up. either way would say results will be predictable enough. Andy Reid in there for solidarity. Sorry lads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Went for Giggsy and Pires but and can't believe I left Ronaldo out! LOL at the Irish bias, I mean Andy Reid does not belong anywhere near this company. Surely the like of Wright Phillips should be ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is there going to be a serious poll anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Andy Reid? Duff? Lennon?

Wtf is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Andy Reid? Duff? Lennon?

Wtf is this?

To make it worse I accidentally voted for Duff... :o

Your dead right though, how some of those players are in there I'll never know.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    To make it worse I accidentally voted for Duff... :o

Your dead right though, how some of those players are in there I'll never know.

Just vote for them all.

Shaun Wright-Phillips should be ahead of half of those on the poll.

Shaun Wright-Phillips should be ahead of half of those on the poll.

I count 3...

Giggs
    Beckham
    Pires
    Robben
    SWP
    CRonaldo
    Joe Cole
    Ashley Young
    Ljunberg

Should be the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Beckham before Reid / Lennon surely? I know he wasn't at his greatest form-wise coming into 2003 but he played a big part (i think) in those 3 titles at the start of the decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its hard to look past Giggs and Ronaldo really.

JPA wrote: »
    Giggs
    Beckham
    Pires
    Robben
    SWP
    CRonaldo
    Joe Cole
    Ashley Young
    Ljunberg

Should be the poll.

Duff instead of Young and you have it spot on imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

so i voted for everyone, is that alright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

event wrote: »
    so i voted for everyone, is that alright?

+1, gotta be fair.

Andy Reid? Duff? Lennon?

Wtf is this?

What on earth is wrong with Duff? Explain in 20 words or less please.

Reid and Lennon are weird ones, one good season at Charlton and one great season (ish) with Sunderland does not get you in the poll.

Yes, Young has been great for two seasons and good for one with Watford. Not enough.

EDIT: Actually not that great this season - good though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Voted for everyone except Andy Reid

Well Young has been in the team of the season for the last 2 years, something Duff never achieved and I think Duff was next to useless at Newcastle.
    Although perhaps Young is still too young.:)

if Duff beats Pires.

i'm warning you...

Peaked in 2002 meaning he had 3 good years in the decade then slumped. Injury prone. Good not great.

19 words ok? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

230 appearances in 10 years in the PL, its 25 games per season

was ****e for 3 of them for newcastle, very good for two with blackburn and chelsea, ok for the others

IMO, not one of the best wingers over the last decade

JPA wrote: »
    Well Young has been in the team of the season for the last 2 years, something Duff never achieved and I think Duff was next to useless at Newcastle.
    Although perhaps Young is still too young.:)
    Peaked in 2002 meaning he had 3 good years in the decade then slumped. Injury prone. Good not great.

19 words ok? ;)

Won two premierships. Played in the CL. Was Blackburn's best player, had a tough time at Newcastle (who the hell didn't?) but has bounced back very well this season with Fulham.

I am unsure if he made a PL team of the year - would be surprised if he never made one but its not dreadfully important.

Anyway, just saying there is no way, in my mind, he doesn't deserve a nomination. I could write off Freddie by the same arguments about peaking early in the decade etc.

Oh and 19 is fine, although I don't completely agree.

• Advertisement

Eh, Duff deserves a nomination. How is that in question?

The man along with Robben and Makelele basically won Chelsea the league. He made a UEFA team of the year too I think. Amazing player at his peak, nominating him should be a given.

Won two premierships. Played in the CL. Was Blackburn's best player, had a tough time at Newcastle (who the hell didn't?) but has bounced back very well this season with Fulham.

I am unsure if he made a PL team of the year - would be surprised if he never made one but its not dreadfully important.

Anyway, just saying there is no way, in my mind, he doesn't deserve a nomination. I could write off Freddie by the same arguments about peaking early in the decade etc.

Oh and 19 is fine, although I don't completely agree.
    simply winning the prem and appearing in the CL does not make you a great player. that is just stupid to be fair. Djimi Traore (a favourite go to guy!!) has won the CL. So is he a great players?

event wrote: »
    230 appearances in 10 years in the PL, its 25 games per season

was ****e for 3 of them for newcastle, very good for two with blackburn and chelsea, ok for the others

IMO, not one of the best wingers over the last decade

I would have said very good for at least two seasons at Chelsea myself.

The Ranieri one and then the first Mourinho one.

He wasn't crap at his first season at Newcastle for me.

25 per season in the EPL. out of 38 possible. Not all that bad considring he was involved in other competitions as well (Probably shouldn't be taking anything into account but PL performances but I wonder if everyone has stuck to that subconciously). Certainly nothing that should be used to write him out of it IMO.

I would have said very good for at least two seasons at Chelsea myself.

The Ranieri one and then the first Mourinho one.

He wasn't crap at his first season at Newcastle for me.

25 per season in the EPL. out of 38 possible. Not all that bad considring he was involved in other competitions as well (Probably shouldn't be taking anything into account but PL performances but I wonder if everyone has stuck to that subconciously). Certainly nothing that should be used to write him out of it IMO.

I think it's 25 a season in all competitions!

I think it's 25 a season in all competitions!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=7779&cc=5739

there are all his stats, from 01/02 onwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Des anybody remember how amazing Pires was? The guy was unreal. 6 great years in the PL. If not for Ronaldo, I think he'd defo be in there.

Duff and Robben tore up the premiership for 2 years, unbelivable at times. Ronaldo and Giggs obviously. Beckham

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=7779&cc=5739

there are all his stats, from 01/02 onwards

I was about to edit it there, I think it's 34 per season in the last decade and he spent one season in the championship.

PHB wrote: »
    Des anybody remember how amazing Pires was? The guy was unreal. 6 great years in the PL. If not for Ronaldo, I think he'd defo be in there.

Duff and Robben tore up the premiership for 2 years, unbelivable at times. Ronaldo and Giggs obviously. Beckham

I do. Probably the best player in his position in the world until the injury against Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Ronaldo should be a shoe-in to be fair. Pretty strong srgument for him being the best player of the decade so his wide position should be a shoe in.

For the other one it's between Pires, Lljungberg and Giggs. I think at their respective peaks I'd shade it to Pires, but over the decade it has to go to Giggs for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Giggs and Ronaldo surely.

As much as I loved watching Pires its gota be these two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Giggs and Ronaldo by a country fúcking mile...

Andy Reid? Duff? Lennon?

Wtf is this?
    So you are totally discluding Duff. Was going to be Giggs and and Ronaldo anyway. We could pick Stephen Irelands granny and the vote still wouldn't change.

So you are totally discluding Duff. Was going to be Giggs and and Ronaldo anyway. We could pick Stephen Irelands granny and the vote still wouldn't change.
    But she wasn't that great a midfielder anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Duff should be in the poll, I don't think he's there on an Irish bias(he made more of an impact on the premiership than Robben). Andy Reid shouldn't be there, Downing is a better contender than he is.

Giggs and Pires/Ronaldo for me probably. Ronaldo will win out because of recent memory syndrome.

dyl10 wrote: »
    Duff should be in the poll, I don't think he's there on an Irish bias(he made more of an impact on the premiership than Robben). Andy Reid shouldn't be there, Downing is a better contender than he is.

Giggs and Pires/Ronaldo for me probably. Ronaldo will win out because of recent memory syndrome.
    okay now that the two wingers sorted are lets get down to nominations for two CMS.
    So far we Vierra, Fabregas, Gerrard, Lampard, Makelelle, Essien, Scholes. four more names should do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement