Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL team of the decade-midfield

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

dyl10 wrote: »
    Duff should be in the poll, I don't think he's there on an Irish bias(he made more of an impact on the premiership than Robben). Andy Reid shouldn't be there, Downing is a better contender than he is.

Giggs and Pires/Ronaldo for me probably. Ronaldo will win out because of recent memory syndrome.

Ronaldo will win out because he had an almost unparalleled impact on the premiership in the few years he was there. It's harsh on Pires who was a great player, but Ronaldo and Giggs have these places nailed down, and deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

dyl10 wrote: »
    Duff should be in the poll, I don't think he's there on an Irish bias(he made more of an impact on the premiership than Robben). Andy Reid shouldn't be there, Downing is a better contender than he is.

Giggs and Pires/Ronaldo for me probably. Ronaldo will win out because of recent memory syndrome.

Ah c'mon I hate the chap but to suggest he is there on anything other than merit is ridiculous. You're talking about a player who was one of the top 5 in the Prem for about 5 years, and probably the best for about 2-3.

The amount of goals he scored as a winger was something no one had ever seen before in football let alone the Premiership, not to mention assists etc...

He picks himself in my opinion and I'm surprised he's not well into the over 90% choice bracket. Really see no justifiable way of not including him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Morzadec wrote: »
    Ah c'mon I hate the chap but to suggest he is there on anything other than merit is ridiculous. You're talking about a player who was one of the top 5 in the Prem for about 5 years, and probably the best for about 2-3.

The amount of goals he scored as a winger was something no one had ever seen before in football let alone the Premiership, not to mention assists etc...

He picks himself in my opinion and I'm surprised he's not well into the over 90% choice bracket. Really see no justifiable way of not including him.
    Yes very suprised some people made so much noise complaining about Duffs inclusion. They really should know better. Has been plagued with one injury after another injury which hasnt helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pires > Giggs but not as good as Ronaldo imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Kinda funny Liverpool didn't have a winger of note for the last 10 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yes very suprised some people made so much noise complaining about Duffs inclusion. They really should know better. Has been plagued with one injury after another injury which hasnt helped.

He's talking about Ronaldo there!

Anyway I think at his peak Pires was better than Giggs at his peak, although Giggs longevity gives him the advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Kinda funny Liverpool didn't have a winger of note for the last 10 years!
    shush. Dont get "the others" started ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

At their peak Duff and Robben were amazing, but the peak only lasted about 2 years so neither deserve to be in the team of the decade imo considering they both only had two outstanding years.

I was talking about Ronaldo in my post.

Yeah Duff probably justified in inclusion in the poll, but to be honest he doesn't come near winning one of the spots for me. There would be 6 or 7 at least I think who I would place above him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

First choice has to be Robert Pires, formed a great partneship down the left with Ashley Cole, don't expect Pires to get the votes here which is a shame, but to actually see him play in the flesh regularly I think people would recognise what a great player he was.

Second choice for me would be Freddie, a degree of bias from me on this one, but would certainly have him ahead of many of the nominations, great winger who could always get himself in the right spot to score many many goals.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Went with Pires and Giggs myself.

Is including Andy Reid a joke? I laughed anyway!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OPENROAD wrote: »
    First choice has to be Robert Pires, formed a great partneship down the left with Ashley Cole, don't expect Pires to get the votes here which is a shame, but to actually see him play in the flesh regularly I think people would recognise what a great player he was.

Second choice for me would be Freddie, a degree of bias from me on this one, but would certainly have him ahead of many of the nominations, great winger who could always get himself in the right spot to score many many goals.

I'm as biased as the next person but, no Mr Premier League? :eek:

Giggs and Pires for me. My bias ruling in the selection of Pires over Ronaldo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What a joke of a poll!

Andy Reid?

jasonorr wrote: »
    I'm as biased as the next person but, no Mr Premier League? :eek:

Giggs and Pires for me. My bias ruling in the selection of Pires over Ronaldo!

I would take Pires over Ronaldo any day of the week.

Possibly should have given my second vote to Giggs maybe over Freddie, but Freddie in his prime was excellent, a very underrated player imo and certainly if he was Irish or played for utd would be more recognised here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Andy Reid in a poll for a spot in the Premier League Team of The Decade, FFS :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Vierra, Fabregas, Gerrard, Lampard, Makelelle, Essien, Scholes. four more names should do?

Roy Keane? Left United in 2005. He was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think Freddie has more of the peaking early criticism than Duff to be honest. Also didn't last as long in the prem.

He had two great goalscoring seasons IIRC but I am open to correction.

I went for Giggs and Pires. Ronaldo was super effective but he was like the Venus sisters of soccer, I went for sexy Robert "Sharapova" Pires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd go for Pires and Ronaldo personally. Ronaldo and Pires both switched sides enough, especially the former, to justify their inclusion.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Image26.jpg

Sigh... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Are my eyes deceiving me?, not one single mention of this little fella?

"Gianfranco tries everything because he is a wizard, and the wizard must try everything"

Claudio Ranieri

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

daithijjj wrote: »
    Are my eyes deceiving me?, not one single mention of this little fella?

"Gianfranco tries everything because he is a wizard, and the wizard must try everything"

Claudio Ranieri
    Wasn't a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

daithijjj wrote: »

Claudio Ranieri

Probably wrong decade too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

flahavaj wrote: »
    Wasn't a winger.

Forgive me, when i saw andy reid in the list i thought i could bring in anyone into topic.

noodler wrote: »
    I think Freddie has more of the peaking early criticism than Duff to be honest.

Are you saying Duff was better?
    Also didn't last as long in the prem.

9 seasons with Arsenal and one with West Ham.
    He had two great goalscoring seasons IIRC but I am open to correction.

Scored over 8 for 6 seasons in a row, hitting as many as 17 one season. Pires was much more prolific though.

Are you saying Duff was better?

Over the course of their respective careers? Yes.

9 seasons with Arsenal and one with West Ham.

Scored over 8 for 6 seasons in a row, hitting as many as 17 one season. Pires was much more prolific though.

Fair enough when did he leave Arsenal?

Over the course of their respective careers? Yes.

Can't even remotely agree with that one.
    Fair enough when did he leave Arsenal?

He joined in 98-99 and left after 06-07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Pires and Ronaldo for me. Giggs and Ljunberg follow close behind, but those two were the ones who really stand out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Had Freddie as my other winger.Always liked him except when playing United.. :P

Can't even remotely agree with that one.

Thats alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that bias is beautiful.

and you do admit it, to be fair to you.

Pres, fair enough. i absolutely adore the guy, and he was more impressive than Giggs at United during that era in the Premiership.

there is no way in anyone's eyes, no matter how much a lot of us probably cannot stand the guy, can you not pick Ronaldo over Freddie.

Ronaldo is a freak of nature, whose records from the wing will more than likely never be replicated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He wasn't on the wing all the time to break records, he played up front.

SlickRic wrote: »
    that bias is beautiful.

Pres, fair enough. i absolutely adore the guy, and he was more impressive than Giggs at United during that era in the Premiership.

there is no way in anyone's eyes, no matter how much a lot of us probably cannot stand the guy, can you not pick Ronaldo over Freddie.

Ronaldo is a freak of nature, whose records from the wing will more than likely never be replicated.

Maybe not in the Premiership but, Messi eclipsed him the following season in Spain.

Maybe not in the Premiership but, Messi eclipsed him the following season in Spain.

ok, i should have specified 'in the Premiership'.

we're privileged to watch Messi and Ronaldo play.

that bias is beautiful.

We are all bias to a degree some more than others and I will admit the Freddie vote did have a degree of bias about it, (but I did see Freddie playing live many many times and was imo a very underated player.)
    just like people voting for Duff, O Shea and Reid cause they are Irish.

Ronaldo was a top player but not as special as some make him out to be.

CHD wrote: »
    He wasn't on the wing all the time to break records, he played up front.

i'm not defending him in detail.

i refuse to.

but you know the wing was his position most of the time.

and OPENROAD, name me someone else who did what he did?

i can't stand him as much as the next guy, but he was phenomenal.

ok, i should have specified 'in the Premiership'.

we're privileged to watch Messi and Ronaldo play.

I don't see too much of Ronaldo any more but, I'll always try and watch Barcelona.

when did messi eclipse him? Ronaldo scored 42 goals in all comps two years ago and Messi scored 38 last year. Ronaldo also got 30+ in the league where messi hasn't.

i'm not defending him in detail.

i refuse to.

but you know the wing was his position most of the time.

and OPENROAD, name me someone else who did what he did?

i can't stand him as much as the next guy, but he was phenomenal.

Henry, Bergkamp were better players imo

when did messi eclipse him? Ronaldo scored 42 goals in all comps two years ago and Messi scored 38 last year. Ronaldo also got 30+ in the league where messi hasn't.

In terms of overall contribution and quality of play, did you just ignore the fact that Messi also had 18 assists last season and ultimately was the driving factor for Barcelona's clean sweep?

• Advertisement

In terms of overall contribution and quality of play, did you just ignore the fact that Messi also had 18 assists last season and ultimately was the driving factor for Barcelona's clean sweep?

Ok, just responded because you quoted the bit where he said his ‘records' will never be beaten and you said they've been eclipsed.. There's a difference between beating his records and beating his performances, which is also arguable IMO.

Ok, just responded because you quoted the bit where he said his ‘records' will never be beaten and you said they've been eclipsed.. There's a difference between beating his records and beating his performances, which is also arguable IMO.

True but, I feel the 38 goals and 18 assists is a better record than 42 goals and 8 assists from Ronaldo the previous season.

True but, I feel the 38 goals and 18 assists is a better record than 42 goals and 8 assists from Ronaldo the previous season.

I suppose! Messi played more games though and was playing in a better team. Call it a draw?

I suppose! Messi played more games though and was playing in a better team. Call it a draw?

He played two more games and while I do agree that Barcelona were better, United still won the champions league that season.

You can call it a draw if you want, not me! Anyway, waaaaaay ot here!

He played two more games and while I do agree that Barcelona were better, United still won the champions league that season.

You can call it a draw if you want, not me! Anyway, waaaaaay ot here!

Ok you win. I fold like origami.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Messi > Ronaldo all day everyday. That should clear it up. No draw, Messi wins. I won't be drawn into a debate about it I have made my decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So you are totally discluding Duff. Was going to be Giggs and and Ronaldo anyway.

And Lennon. And Reid.
    We could pick Stephen Irelands granny and the vote still wouldn't change.

Nice irrelevant comeback. Unsurprising.

Whther Messi is better than Ronaldo is irrelevant to this poll (I for one think he is).

What is relevant is that Ronaldo was one of the most effective players to ever play in the Premiership. There's some top players on this list but none of them come close to the ability and impact that Ronaldo had in the Premiership.

Really can't fathom how anyone can leave him out of their vote. I don't kniw how people can justify their bias by claiming bias from others in other threads.

Just to be clear, this isn't a poll on 'who you like the most' or 'who you saw play in the flesh'.

It's on who was the best two wingers in the Premiership between January 00 and December 09.

From these poll results it seems that close to 35% of people on this forum either don't have a clue about football or have absolutely no concept of making an objective decision based on reason and not on bias.

Quite simply not voting for Ronaldo is unjustifiable. I don't think I need to even put 'in my opinion' in there.

I hate the chap but he was pretty much in a different class to the rest on the list

From these poll results it seems that close to 35% of people on this forum either don't have a clue about football or have absolutely no concept of making an objective decision based on reason and not on bias.

Quite simply not voting for Ronaldo is unjustifiable. I don't think I need to even put 'in my opinion' in there.

I hate the chap but he was pretty much in a different class to the rest on the list

Wasn't that clear from the whole JOS saga?

Just to be clear, this isn't a poll on 'who you like the most' or 'who you saw play in the flesh'.

But thats how they end up being voted on or nationality or who the player plays for i.e. JOS, Dunne....

Wasn't that clear from the whole JOS saga?

It was yeah but I thought it may have just been United and Ireland fans. Didn't know there was a whole other set of fans that couldn't leave their biases behind.
    But thats how they end up being voted on or nationality or who the player plays for i.e. JOS, Dunne....

That's how some people vote for players. i.e. the retards/partisan fans who can't vote objectively or even worse the ones that bemoan a biased vote and then vote themselves biasly to offset it (i.e. hypocrits).

• Advertisement
Advertisement