Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL team of the decade-midfield

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Morzadec wrote: »
    That's how some people vote for players. i.e. the retards/partisan fans who can't vote objectively or even worse the ones that bemoan a biased vote and then vote themselves biasly to offset it (i.e. hypocrits).

At the end of the days these polls are pointless imo, just look at the other positions and how voting went on those, sure even some of the nominations were a joke, sorry but when I see the likes of JOS and Dunne getting so many votes I can't take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It was yeah but I thought it may have just been United and Ireland fans. Didn't know there was a whole other set of fans that couldn't leave their biases behind.
    Wenger wrote:
    Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.

;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This one was always going to end up as Giggs and Ronaldo. One has the records, one has the longevity.

On that count, they are both thoroughly deserving.

I'm heartened to see Bobby get so many mentions. He probably doesn't have the longevity at a specific team (as many players like him, who have played in a number of leagues) to get included in an award like this - but he was still an absolutely incredible player. Fantastic for Marseilles Metz, Arsenal, France and Villarreal. I love the man more than most others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

OPENROAD wrote: »
    At the end of the days these polls are pointless imo, just look at the other positions and how voting went on those, sure even some of the nominations were a joke, sorry but when I see the likes of JOS and Dunne getting so many votes I can't take it seriously.

So you can't take it seriously so decide to just sabotage it then instead? Your basically trolling then?

If people's votes are a 'joke' then vote reasonably and then there's one more idiot offset on the forum. Voting like an idiot yourself doesn't help things.

Plus these polls aren't that much of a joke. None of the players who have won the spots are overtly ridiculous choices. Given arguably, but that would be my opinion, there was no real standout choice for the goalkeeper position and there were certainly justifiable claims for including him.

There is no real justifiable claim for not including Ronaldo. If there are then I'd love to hear them.
    jasonorr wrote: »
    ;)

Well in that case, in this poll I don't have a 'wife', but if he was included I suppose my 'wife' would be Dirk Kuyt but I wouldn't for a second consider voting for him. Why? Because he's not one of the 2 best wingers in the decade. Simple as that.

Yous are both Arsenal fans am I correct? Neither of you have once tried to justify not voting for Ronaldo and have instead called the poll a joke and it's voter's jokers. In the words of Bart Simpson 'The ironing is delicious'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And Lennon. And Reid.

Nice irrelevant comeback. Unsurprising.

Nah discluding Duff from a nomination is silly.

So is any comparison with Lennon and Reid with relation to their respective PL careers.

Yous are both Arsenal fans am I correct? Neither of you have once tried to justify not voting for Ronaldo and have instead called the poll a joke and it's voter's jokers. In the words of Bart Simpson 'The ironing is delicious'.

I didn't vote for Ronaldo because he took a couple of seasons to settle and then had one good and three very good seasons. So, 4 good seasons are enough to get you into the team of the decade these days? I voted for Pires because he had 5 or 6 good seasons. There wasn't much between me choosing either and that is why bias swayed it for me.

Where did I call the thread or any posters a joke? I do believe these threads are pointless but, if I see them floating around I'll contribute as I see fit!

I didn't vote for Ronaldo because he took a couple of seasons to settle and then had one good and three very good seasons. So, 4 good seasons are enough to get you into the team of the decade these days? I voted for Pires because he had 5 or 6 good seasons. There wasn't much between me choosing either and that is why bias swayed it for me.

Where did I call the thread or any posters a joke? I do believe these threads are pointless but, if I see them floating around I'll contribute as I see fit!

Apologies OPENROAD said that didn't mean to tar you with the same brush. Who was your other vote then, Giggs?

I still think the scale of Ronaldo's achievements in the 3 seasons at his peak and his role in the honours won by United in those 3 seasons (as well as his good contibution in the other 2 seasons) outweighs Pires (and I'm a big fan of Pires). Plus his general ability and effectiveness on the pitch. I think the 'time' argument is valid enough but 5 seasons in a decade is enough for me to be considered and when 3 of them were as unfathomably good as they were then I think it's impossible to argue against him.

But for the record I don't think that voting for Pires is a joke by any means! I almost voted for him myself but felt I couldn't leave out Giggs. He was top class and it's not the same as voting for Dunne/JOS in the Centre Back slots I agree

So you can't take it seriously so decide to just sabotage it then instead? Your basically trolling then?

If people's votes are a 'joke' then vote reasonably and then there's one more idiot offset on the forum. Voting like an idiot yourself doesn't help things.

Plus these polls aren't that much of a joke. None of the players who have won the spots are overtly ridiculous choices. Given arguably, but that would be my opinion, there was no real standout choice for the goalkeeper position and there were certainly justifiable claims for including him.

There is no real justifiable claim for not including Ronaldo. If there are then I'd love to hear them.

Well in that case, in this poll I don't have a 'wife', but if he was included I suppose my 'wife' would be Dirk Kuyt but I wouldn't for a second consider voting for him. Why? Because he's not one of the 2 best wingers in the decade. Simple as that.

I gave a reason for my two votes, I did say their was a certain degree of bias for my vote for Freddie but I also stated that I felt he was an excellent winger who was excellent at making runs and getting in the right spot just at the right time to score goals.

I also stated that Ronaldo was a very good player I felt he wasn't as good as was made out. Excellent free kick taker but for me wasn't a great player. Again that is just my opinion.

By the way I'm not trolling and anyone who posts regularly on, this board will know I'm not a troll and I'm not trying to sabotage the vote, I have given reasons for my votes for Pires and Freddie, both of whom were also key parts of the invincable team.

Apologies OPENROAD said that didn't mean to tar you with the same brush. Who was your other vote then, Giggs?

I still think the scale of Ronaldo's achievements in the 3 seasons at his peak and his role in the honours won by United in those 3 seasons (as well as his good contibution in the other 2 seasons) outweighs Pires (and I'm a big fan of Pires). Plus his general ability and effectiveness on the pitch. I think the 'time' argument is valid enough but 5 seasons in a decade is enough for me to be considered and when 3 of them were as unfathomably good as they were then I think it's impossible to argue against him.

But for the record I don't think that voting for Pires is a joke by any means! I almost voted for him myself but felt I couldn't leave out Giggs. He was top class and it's not the same as voting for Dunne/JOS in the Centre Back slots I agree

Yeah, Pires and Giggs. Giggs has his flaws but he's been United's most consistent player under Ferguson and just when you think you've seen the last of him, he has another great season. Like I said, there wasn't much between Pires and Ronaldo for me, both were equally important for their clubs.

The frightening thing about Pires was that even though he was never the same player after his injury, he adapted and actually increased his goal tally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

In fairness JOS and dunne were voted in the team of the year, not the decade.

• Advertisement

Fair enough if that's what you genuinely think. I rate Freddie highly he would be 4th on my list. I was also a big fan of the Arsenal invincibles and what they achieved. I'm a Liverpool fan but I have never hated Arsenal all that much and I would really want them to win when playing against United or Chelsea. Just in case you think there's any bias from my end.

But honestly if you think that Ljungberg > Ronaldo then I don't know what to say.

There are 3 positions on this team which I would consider shoe-ins. Neville at right-back (mainly because of a lack of viable alternatives). Henry up front (for his world-class ability, his importance to an achieving team, and his scoring record) and Ronaldo on the right-wing for the same reasons as Henry. I'd like to say Gerrard in centre-mid, but seeing as he's up against the likes of Scholes, Keane, Viera, Lampard, Essien I think it's hard to say anyone's a shoe-in here.

Quite simply no one on this list comes close to Ronaldo in terms of ability or achievement. Certainly not Freddie Ljunberg.

JPA wrote: »
    In fairness JOS and dunne were voted in the team of the year, not the decade.

Yeah I'm aware of that, but they picked up a lot of votes than they should have in these polls also.

Yeah, Pires and Giggs. Giggs has his flaws but he's been United's most consistent player under Ferguson and just when you think you've seen the last of him, he has another great season. Like I said, there wasn't much between Pires and Ronaldo for me, both were equally important for their clubs.

The frightening thing about Pires was that even though he was never the same player after his injury, he adapted and actually increased his goal tally!

Agreed Pires was class, no dispute there. If you look at my first post I said at their respective peaks Pires would take the left-mid spot for me. But over the decade it's just very hard to leave out Giggs I feel, for the reasons you've stated above.

And I've made my feelings clear on Ronaldo so unfortunately Pires had to miss out. He'd be a very effective first-sub though!

Fair enough if that's what you genuinely think. I rate Freddie highly he would be 4th on my list. I was also a big fan of the Arsenal invincibles and what they achieved. I'm a Liverpool fan but I have never hated Arsenal all that much and I would really want them to win when playing against United or Chelsea. Just in case you think there's any bias from my end.

But honestly if you think that Ljungberg > Ronaldo then I don't know what to say.

There are 3 positions on this team which I would consider shoe-ins. Neville at right-back (mainly because of a lack of viable alternatives). Henry up front (for his world-class ability, his importance to an achieving team, and his scoring record) and Ronaldo on the right-wing for the same reasons as Henry. I'd like to say Gerrard in centre-mid, but seeing as he's up against the likes of Scholes, Keane, Viera, Lampard, Essien I think it's hard to say anyone's a shoe-in here.

Quite simply no one on this list comes close to Ronaldo in terms of ability or achievement. Certainly not Freddie Ljunberg.

can honestly say that when I cast my two votes I didn't have what had occurred in previous polls on my mind and so in no way was I attempting to sabotage the vote,it was only when I was picked up for being biased to which I admit to a certain extent that I brought up previous polls. Just to clarify I said some of the nominations were a joke not any actual posters as has been suggested

I felt I had made a good case for Pires and a good case for Ljunberg though maybe with a certain degree of bias, as said he was a key part of a team that went unbeaten for a season, an achievement not likely to be achieved again imo. And I did give reasons why I felt he should be picked.

In hindsight maybe picking Ljunberg ahead of Ronaldo is wrong, Ronaldo was a key player for utd in there success, though many of his games were not played as a winger. So with that in mind Ronaldo should have one extra vote and Ljunberg one less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Roanldo was mediocre as a winger. Excellent as a forward though.
    Pires first and Giggs second for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The season after RvN left he scored plenty of goals and assists in that season from the wing.Got plenty of assists when he was played on the win for periods of last season. Mediocre? When he played on the wing Ashley Cole was the only player who could handle him. God I wish he was still in the league...

A winger can take many different forms. You could class Messi as a winger too. Ronaldo was a right sided attacking midfielder, dunno what you class a winger as but I'd pretty much class him as that. He was played up top on his own from time to time and didn't set the world alight if I remember correctly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Yeah that Roanldo lad was pretty mediocre.

Cristiano Ronaldo on the other hand was, and still is, a world class winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

there should be no arguements about giggs gettin in this team. prob got in the team of the 90's too i'd say. thats 2 decades of teams thats unreal!!!! mad to say there hasnt been a left winger even close to him in his career in english football. what does that say about him and the left wing position is it that hard to play there? other players in other positions are a dime a dozen i.e. keane similar to vieira maybe vieira had a bit more skill but still very much alike, but no one even comes close to playing that wide left position like he did.

as for ronaldo he def should be there. "world" footballer of the year, bags of goals, assists, domestic and european trophies need i say more. he and henry FOR ME were the best 2 players the premier league has seen. ok shearers been class, top goal scorer and all,roy keanes been brilliant the simplicity of his game as in nothin fancy just does it you have to admire. no one else got or gets THE KIND OF RECOGNITION ronaldo gets.

as for henry he'll def be gettin my vote when its the strikers turn regardless of the handball incident. the man played the kind of football you and i love to see.

i'm a man u fan so you might say my giggs and ronaldo votes are biased. thats your opinion but football is a game of opinion. to prove i'm not biased i voted for ashley cole for the left back spot and already stated i'll be voting for henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

i'm a man u fan so you might say my giggs and ronaldo votes are biased. thats your opinion but football is a game of opinion. to prove i'm not biased i voted for ashley cole for the left back spot and already stated i'll be voting for henry

It dosn't matter Arsenal fans are making a joke of it already. Pires ahead of Ronaldo or Giggs, come on. Pires was nothing compared to them, Pires at his peak was not better than Ryan Giggs is now or Ronaldo is now neither are at their peak. Seriously, some people need to get their head out of their ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm a United fan. I love Giggs.

Giggs in this decade has been up and down, good in the first few years, then poor for a large section of the middle bit, then has emerged again to be top class imo.

Pires, in the first years of the decade, was one of the best wingers I've ever seen, until Ronaldo came along. In 2001–02 he was outstanding, and the following years, he got 14 goals a season for 3 years.

Stats: 189 games, 62 goals, 43 assists in the league.

Giggs got
    289 games, 46 goals and 28 assists

Fair enough if you think Giggs' overall contribution warrents his place, but to suggest that people are voting for Pires out of bias is just frankly stupid, as I'm a United fan and I'm voting for Pires over Giggs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    It dosn't matter Arsenal fans are making a joke of it already. Pires ahead of Ronaldo or Giggs, come on. Pires was nothing compared to them, Pires at his peak was not better than Ryan Giggs is now or Ronaldo is now neither are at their peak. Seriously, some people need to get their head out of their ass.
    ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Robert Pires and Cristiano Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

carlop wrote: »
    Yeah that Roanldo lad was pretty mediocre.

Cristiano Ronaldo on the other hand was, and still is, a world class winger.

Read the post, son.

Ronaldo wasn't much better than Nani until united changed their formation to three up top whereupon he was a revelation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

seriously. what. the. ****. is going on in this forum lately? the place has turned into a mad house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Reganio 2 wrote: »

you never watched Pires did you?

no, obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

I would have to go for Ronaldo and Giggs...but to no even have Beckham in the poll and to have the likes of Lennon, Andy Reid and even Duffer...come on!

Advertisement