Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to pre-order games from?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

Hey I was wondering what are peoples experiences with pre-ordering games from online retailers. I'm planning on pre-ordering Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Supreme Commander 2 both of which are released Friday 5th March. So could I expect to receive delivery on the Monday if I ordered from the likes of cdwow.ie, play.com etc? I would imagine if I wanted to buy in Ireland in a bricks and mortar store then I would be looking at 50/60euro per game as opposed to around the 30euro mark with online retailers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gamesnash are very good at getting your preorders to you on time (sometimes early). I'd go with them if you want to be guaranteed release day delivery.

Of the UK suppliers, Zavvi are good too. They shipped Bioshock 2 to me last week (due in shops tomorrow). Hopefully it arrives tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Mr E wrote: »
    Gamesnash are very good at getting your preorders to you on time (sometimes early). I'd go with them if you want to be guaranteed release day delivery.

No PC games as far as I can see?
    Not getting the game on release day wouldnt be that much of a problem for me if I was making a significant saving on Irish retail prices.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No PC games as far as I can see?
    Not getting the game on release day wouldnt be that much of a problem for me if I was making a significant saving on Irish retail prices.

Gamesnash stopped selling pc games due to there not being enough demand,you should try shopto.net,amazon.co.uk,or else play.com.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mr E wrote: »

Of the UK suppliers, Zavvi are good too. They shipped Bioshock 2 to me last week (due in shops tomorrow). Hopefully it arrives tomorrow. :)

Was that your first time ordering from them?if not are they always that quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I like that Zavvi will ship a game before its release date so you will probably get it on or around that date. Not many other online games retailers will make this claim:
    Pre-order now for delivery on 05 March 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I like that Zavvi will ship a game before its release date so you will probably get it on or around that date. Not many other online games retailers will make this claim:
    Most online shops ship before release but delivery to Ireland is normally a bit longer so we get it a day or two after release. AFAIK gamesnash will have them delivered to you on release.

If i Preorder napoleon total off zavvi will I have it before release day so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If i Preorder napoleon total off zavvi will I have it before release day so?

Probably not, I'd assume they send it the day before and use the standard signed for post which takes 3 working days (overnight in the UK). So it would be shipped on the Thursday and arrive on Monday.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Probably not, I'd assume they send it the day before and use the standard signed for post which takes 3 working days (overnight in the UK). So it would be shipped on the Thursday and arrive on Monday.

Ah nuts to that then :-/.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gamestop, Steam, Impulse and D2D. The big players for PC Games. All others - I dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

If I'm preordering a game I'll usually pay the steam premium. At least that way I can be sure the game is on the hard drive and ready to go as soon as it's released. If you're looking for the best price you just gotta accept you may not have it there and then on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I dont think I would ever pre order a game off steam, the price difference is just too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Burgo wrote: »
    I dont think I would ever pre order a game off steam, the price difference is just too much.

meh... there's usually a discount on preorders through steam so it tends not to be as bad as it ordinarily is. Bioshock 2 is €45 on it at the mo, which is the same as most of the physical retailers. It may not be as cheap as the likes of Play.com, but at least I know I'll have it on the day and there's no risk of it being lost in the post etc. so I don't mind the few euros premium.

edit: Generally If i feel the need to preorder a game though I'll be willing to pay a few euro's extra for the peace of mind that I'll have it on release. Otherwise I tend to just wait a few months until I can pick it up cheap in a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I ordered Valkyria Chronicles on Tuesday morning from dvd.co.uk and it got here today, 2 day delivery from Switzerland for £1, fastest delivery I've ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

If you pre-order from Cdwow expect to recieve the game 3-4 weeks after release date. Play might be your best bet to get a physical copy close to release day

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

www.dvd.co.uk have always been quick for me ..you might get it 3 day after release...not bad for irealand

Also try www.gamestracker.com for the cheapest price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Took just over a week (post release) to receive Left 4 Dead when I pre-ordered it from play.com.

Never pre-ordered from Zavvi but haven't noticed them to be particularly quick in getting items to me.

Advertisement