Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Requests and a response from the relevent Moderators

Options
  • 08-02-2010 12:56pm

First off, I know this is not the place to discuss new forums.. I'm merely bringing up an issue with a forum request I've made. If anyone wants to debate the setting up off this particular forum, do it in the link below.

Last September, I started this forum request for a Motors Tech Advice Forum. I PM'd all the mods of motors and now after four and a half months and alot of support in the thread, not one Motors Mod has posted a response in favor or against the proposal.

It's almost at the point of being ignorant and rude to avoid the topic so blatently. In my opinion, if there isn't a response by a mod in that thread soon, especially having started this thread, the forum request should be officially rejected.

I think boards.ie should have a policy that the category mod must respond to valid forum requests, especially after so long and with so much support. There is clearly a problem with the system if the category mod can simply avoid something he may not like.
    Thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did any of them respond to your PMs? Did you PM a second time?
    I'd agree with you that a forum should be rejected if it's not going to be made rather than left in limbo. For ther record, although I would never use it, it sounds like an excellent idea for a forum.

OT: I think Computers and Technology should have a similar one as the current sub forums don't distinguish between problems/advice/general discussion and there is a fair mix of all three in each sub forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's possible that the thread was simply overlooked. It happened with my Documentary suggestion.

I PM'd Sparky about it and he said it had slipped under the radar

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

A gently nudge towards Sparky will get him to take a look at it but if none of the motor mods have replied then I would take their silence to mean a lack of support.

Personally I have always replied to forum request threads when I've received a PM from a member looking for backing (though not always positively :) )

> There is clearly a problem with the system if the category mod can simply avoid something he may not like.

Your issue is that you feel a CMod should post in such threads and make their mind up one way or another or that a Cmod should support it because lots of members want it?

Did any of them respond to your PMs? Did you PM a second time?

Yes, Chris responded at the time and said it was under review.. I had already started a thread in Motors at the time linking to the forum suggestion and I don't think that was appreciated.

At the time, I was perfectly happy with this but the thread has started to pick up ground in the last while and I've seen a few people with the signature image in support of it so I thought I'd raise it now..

This isn't a dig at the Motors moderators by the way.. It has literally been months since it started and they must not have talked about it since.
    I just think there should be a site-wide policy where the category moderators must respond at some point to the forum request.
    It's possible that the thread was simply overlooked. It happened with my Documentary suggestion.

Between the Motors thread linking to thread, the thread itself, the PMs to each of the mods, the PM response from chris and the signature image in support on various profiles. I would hope they know it's there!

Ponster wrote: »
    Your issue is that you feel a CMod should post in such threads and make their mind up one way or another or that a Cmod should support it because lots of members want it?

I don't expect them to support it, just a response either way would be appreciated.

Ironically, I don't drive anymore so have no need for the forum at the moment but I thought I'd try get it resolved..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Between the Motors thread linking to thread, the thread itself, the PMs to each of the mods, the PM response from chris and the signature image in support on various profiles. I would hope they know it's there!

The Motor mods may know it's there, but afaik it's not up to them whether the forum is created or not.. once it has a certain level of support it gets the go-ahead from Admins

I don't think any TV Mods posted to support my forum suggestion

The Motor mods may know it's there, but afaik it's not up to them whether the forum is created or not.. once it has a certain level of support it gets the go-ahead from Admins

I don't think any TV Mods posted to support my forum suggestion

Well then I'm glad I used "relevent Moderators" in my thread title since that covers the admins aswell..
    I can't remember who approved my "relationship issues" sub-forum suggestion but then again, I think that arose out of a feedback thread I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ads by Google - I am sorry for not replying to your PM. The reason I didn't post on the forum request thread itself is that I genuinely could go either way on it (good idea, but might dilute the main forum too much), so I wouldn't have added anything to the thread.

By the way, I have seen forum requests go on much longer and be supported by more people and still be in limbo, so I do agree that there is a problem with the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Okay, I've taken the proposal to the Admin forum and I'll get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The only forum i suggested to be set up wasa renewable energies forum.

It was eventually set up.

I received no cake

**sticks up middle finger**

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    The only forum i suggested to be set up wasa renewable energies forum.

It was eventually set up.

I received no cake

**sticks up middle finger**
    You're forgetting who helped you get it set up. :p

Take that finger back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

First off, I know this is not the place to discuss new forums.. I'm merely bringing up an issue with a forum request I've made. If anyone wants to debate the setting up off this particular forum, do it in the link below.

Last September, I started this forum request for a Motors Tech Advice Forum. I PM'd all the mods of motors and now after four and a half months and alot of support in the thread, not one Motors Mod has posted a response in favor or against the proposal.

It's almost at the point of being ignorant and rude to avoid the topic so blatently. In my opinion, if there isn't a response by a mod in that thread soon, especially having started this thread, the forum request should be officially rejected.

I think boards.ie should have a policy that the category mod must respond to valid forum requests, especially after so long and with so much support. There is clearly a problem with the system if the category mod can simply avoid something he may not like.
    Thoughts?

My feelings on your forum are 'meh', could really go either way on it. I don't see what that would add to your forum request thread so that's why I didn't post there. No user here, mod or not has to respond to any thread they don't feel like responding to and what makes you think a current motors mod would have any input to the forum? Each of the sub forums have their own mods

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Similar to the OP I opened this request and after PM'ing all of the relevant moderators, I have yet to hear anything back.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055813392

A simple no, would even have been sufficient.

Onkle wrote: »
    My feelings on your forum are 'meh', could really go either way on it. I don't see what that would add to your forum request thread so that's why I didn't post there. No user here, mod or not has to respond to any thread they don't feel like responding to and what makes you think a current motors mod would have any input to the forum? Each of the sub forums have their own mods

That's my point of this thread, the relevant moderator should have to respond.. Motors Mods in this case are the relevant moderators.
    There's a big whole in the system of forum requests if you can just sit back and say "meh".

Who's decision is it for whether or not a forum gets made?

Who's decision is it for whether or not a forum gets made?
    The creation of new forums is down to the admins.

Advertisement