Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

less fat more lean/muscle

Options
  • 08-02-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I’m trying to improve my eating habits, cut down on body fat and improving my physique is also a goal for me. So from doing some reading in the fitness forum, I think I’ve learned a few things already.

“ The six pack begins in the kitchen, not the gym”
    So what can I do about this?
    Well firstly I want to tone up. Im not into a six pack and they don’t come easy. All I want is a fairly flat stomach.
    Last week I’ve kept a log of what I’ve eaten. It’s a bit rough and ready but I can see a pattern myself…. If it wasn’t for cereal and panini’s id starve to death!!
    Looks like I eat the same food day in day out. What I need to do here is stop buying some foods that are not good for me (eg white bread) but what do i stop eating and what should i eat more of?!!!

im 31, 6 ft, 15 stone, big enough lad so i carry the weight fine, just the torso is a bit excessive. not so much that it bothers me, but the gut is there, eg no tight tee shirts!!
    Bear in mind the following before you read my “diet”.
    I need to eat more fruit.
    I used to drink full fat milk, now I only buy low fat milk (yesterday my sister advised me to go for lactose free milk as a step further - will it make any difference?)
    I usually get to swim once a week, I can manage 10 lengths. It’s a struggle but it’s a goal nevertheless.
    Im trying to cut back on bread and toast. The white bread will be finished and brown will take its place.
    I don’t use sugar in my tea anymore, but add a sachet to my porridge.
    The yorkies may have to go, or maybe just for the days that im going to gym or soccer.

So if anyone wants to add any comments or advice – please do!

Tuesday
    7am 5 weetabix,
    10am porridge and tea with milk.
    1pm tosted wrap with mayo, chicken, cheese, rocket, onion and tomato. Tea with milk.
    3pm yorkie
    6pm mince stirfry with onion mushroom, mince pepper, tomato
    Tea with a clubmilk

8pm soccer for an hour,
    10pm tayto sambo on toast (white) and tea.

Wednesday
    7am 4 weetabix,
    10am porridge and tea with milk.
    1pm panini, chips,Tea with milk. Yorkie in the afternoon
    7pm 3 blaas with sausages (eight of them!!)
    Tea

Thursday
    7am 4 weetabix,
    10am porridge and tea with milk. Coffee.
    1pm panini, chips, yorkie, Tea with milk.
    Gym for an hour, doing light weights for the arms and chest. Nothing too strenuous as I haven’t been for a while.
    6pm mince stirfry with onion mushroom, mince pepper, tomato
    Tea with a club-milk bar.
    3 cans of Heineken.

Friday
    7am 4 weetabix,
    Blaa and sausages, tea with milk.
    1pm panini, chips, Tea with milk.
    8pm big mac meal.

Sat:
    Cornflakes
    Dinner: spuds, chicken, few sausages at 7pm,
    9pm 6 pints, bag of chips and a battered ausage

Sunday:
    brekkie at 10am: Cornflakes, tea,
    beef and cabbage and spuds for dinner at 4pm
    8pm pizza, glass of mi wadi.
    10pm can of Heineken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

yorkies (one of the most calorific bars in fact!), club milks, sausages (especially if eating 1/2 LB of them!!) crisps, chips and white bread will all contribute to love handles / bad mid section. if you were doing an hour of hard exercise a day you would be hard pushed to get away with a diet like that... im guessing you knew all that already though!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

to be fair with a diet like that i dont think its any wonder you have to flush twice! :pac:

all milk will need to be low fat, white bread should switch to brown bread. crisps/sausages and beer should only be a treat. if you are serious about getting in to good shape they cannot be regulars on your weekly intake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

to corkcomp, ya i tink i knew deep down that those were bad for me, i got to find something else to nibble on, the taytos, chocs, sausages and chips are all nibble food as i would call them.
    as for the sausages, well they come in packs of eight, so i just eat them that way!! i live on my own so its hard to cook for one, although the stirfries have veg and pasta and meat in it, now i freeze it and have the same meal twice a week. learning a little a day i suppose!

to aDeener, maybe in a few months time i can change my user name, but for now, well honesty is the best policy i suppose!!:):):)

so if i cut out the yorkies, club milks, sausages, crisps, chips and white bread, what do i eat? im not allergic to anything.
    the drunken chips and batttered sausage meals - i can manage that.
    stay away from mc Donalds, that can be done.

maybe more pasta and fruit? going to tesco later so will just have to get creative. I work in an office, sometimes though i travel long distance in the car, eg 2.5 hours and get the nibbles then. id stop for a lucozade and marsbar and a packet of waffles. im in the car tomorrow, so maybe i will pack some proper food, eg a small bottle of miwadi, banana.

to corkcomp, ya i tink i knew deep down that those were bad for me, i got to find something else to nibble on, the taytos, chocs, sausages and chips are all nibble food as i would call them.
    as for the sausages, well they come in packs of eight, so i just eat them that way!! i live on my own so its hard to cook for one, although the stirfries have veg and pasta and meat in it, now i freeze it and have the same meal twice a week. learning a little a day i suppose!

to aDeener, maybe in a few months time i can change my user name, but for now, well honesty is the best policy i suppose!!:):):)

so if i cut out the yorkies, club milks, sausages, crisps, chips and white bread, what do i eat? im not allergic to anything.
    the drunken chips and batttered sausage meals - i can manage that.
    stay away from mc Donalds, that can be done.

maybe more pasta and fruit? going to tesco later so will just have to get creative. I work in an office, sometimes though i travel long distance in the car, eg 2.5 hours and get the nibbles then. id stop for a lucozade and marsbar and a packet of waffles. im in the car tomorrow, so maybe i will pack some proper food, eg a small bottle of miwadi, banana.

ok, anything non-processed would be a good start. Dont over complicate things but try:

fish
    meat
    all vegetables
    all fruit
    porridge
    whole grain rice / pasta
    tomato based sauces.
    weetabix and whole grain bread are ok too, in reasonable quantities.

living alone is a crap excuse for the sausages, it takes around 10 minutes to fry these, you could do a lot in 10 minutes!! as for eating 8 because they come in packs of 8, give me a break, if you happened to buy a 1Lb pack would you eat 16 :eek:

have a read of the nutrition stickies for some more ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Do you like tuna? Cooking for one can be a pain, but can be done....tuna is excellent and comes in a tin, enough for one - keeps for ages. Also, cook for two people, the second person being you - the next day for lunch.
    Nibbles? Try some almonds but limit them. Grapes work for me as well.
    Taytos, clubmilks....no point in saying you will give them up forever - not going to happen, but just change your mind set on them. They're a treat, they're not food. You'll enjoy them more too.
    Are you drinking LOADS of water?? I'd bring a litre bottle with you in the car in the morning - you probably parched first thing and its making you feel peckish...loads of water will supress your appetite aswell.
    And 5 weetabix? Ah c'mon....thats just a habit. 3 is enough for any growing boy.:)

Best of luck to ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi OP

I am male, 46yrs old and 12st 1lb with 11% BF and trying to gain a little more lean mass.

Also I work out 6 days per week. 3 full body sessions (strong lifts 5x5) and 3 Cardio & core days.

Below is a typical days food intake for me. This is not 100% perfect by any means but it's not too bad either IMHO. I also cook for one.

05:15 Breakfast

40g Oats, 5 almonds, 4 brazil nuts, 6 hazel nuts, 6 half walnuts, 20g gogi berries, 6 grapes, some blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries with 200ml no fat milk.
    1 Muller Vitality yogurt drink
    200ml Cranberry juice
    1 mug green tea

Supps: Fish oil, Multi vit, Echinacea & Advanced C-Jointin (for joints)

08:30 Snack

1 scoop of whey, 5g Creatine, 5g Glutamine .5 scoop Glucose with 300ml Skimmed milk -or- A tin of Tuna
    2 oatcakes with PB
    Mug of green tea

10:00 Tea break

1 Apple & 1 Banana, handful of mixed nuts

13:00 Lunch
    Wholemeal Pitta with roast beef (home cooked), mixed salad leaves, mixed peppers, red onion, spring onion and cherry tomatoes
    1 kiwi & 1 mandrin
    1 muller vitality yogurt drink

16:00 Pre workout snack
    1 scoop of whey with 300ml skimmed milk
    1 cottage cheese and fruit mousse (from recipie thread)
    2 oat cakes with PB

18:00 - 20:00 Gym

Weight Days: Strong lifts 5x5 routine+ some bicep/tricep work
    Cardio Days: 1 hour Spin + Core work

20:15 PWO Shake
    2 scoops of whey, 5g Creatine, 5g Glutamine, 1.5 scoops of Glucose mixed with 450ml water

21:00 Dinner
    1 5oz chicken breast, 1 6oz fillet steak, 400g mixed veg (sprouts, brocolli, green beans, carrots),
    Mug of green tea
    2 squares of 90% dark chocolate on weight training days :o

I would also drink about 2L of water throughout the day

Also have a look at this thread for some more ideas for what type of foods you can eat. A lot of the posters have posted healthy foods

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055816825

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shaunhulme

Eat meat 3 times a week, 1 red 2 white meat. Cut out the mince and cheese. skim milk is best if you eat a lot of breakfast cereals. Stir fry, brown rice and wholemeal pasta are good. Pick up your gym work, set a weekly goal and reward system. Cut out the beer!!!! Red wine in moderation. Have a nice treat on the first of the month!!!
    It is very difficult. I did all of the above, lost 2 stone and have toned up with my gym visits.... Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

shaunhulme wrote: »
    Eat meat 3 times a week, 1 red 2 white meat. Cut out the mince and cheese. skim milk is best if you eat a lot of breakfast cereals. Stir fry, brown rice and wholemeal pasta are good. Pick up your gym work, set a weekly goal and reward system. Cut out the beer!!!! Red wine in moderation. Have a nice treat on the first of the month!!!
    It is very difficult. I did all of the above, lost 2 stone and have toned up with my gym visits.... Good Luck

If he's in the gym he should be eating meat every day and getting some protein in every meal. Nothing wrong with good quality mince either.

I also don't see why people are saying move to low fat milk there's nothing wrong with full fat milk except it has a few more calories in it, not enough to cause a noticeable difference with the amount you're drinking. Don't get caught up in the consuming fat = bad myth. Also the lactose free milk is made by converting the lactose in milk into glucose so its not going to have less calories than normal milk.

On a most basic level loosing weight is as simple as completely cutting the crap from your diet and reduce portion size so you're getting ~10-15% less calories. Just focus on doing that and you'll see results.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

hey i'm nd same boat in regards to the mid section. would love to get a six pack but i'm wondering what machine, exercises i should do in the gym and also how often i should go. I try to go about 2-3 times a week. And i play soccer for 40mins fairly high tempo as well.

Can anyone out there let me know what i should be concentrating on in the gym?

I'm 6ft and 69kg and my diet is the same as flushtwice.

well i did ok this evening, 2 fish pieces, beans and pasta for dinner. portion might have been a bit big though..

spose 1 day wont make a difference, but its a meal that is healthy.
    if i start to write them down i can pick from a variety of them and a routine will take place then.

so if i go for weetabix in the morning (7am) almost every morning, maybe not 4 r 5.... but just 3, for 2 weeks, see how hungry i am, (maybe i wont be hungry at all) with porridge and tea at 10am break.... thats brekkie under control!

gym and midday break to capture now.... salads are an option. coleslaw?? peppers, beetroot, lettuce, cold chicken, nothing wrong there i think. panini's and chips wont do me any favours.

also went to tesco, fish, cashnew nuts, bananas, tuna, no clubmilks, tuna and wholemeal bread will be the sambos for tomorrows trip home, will get water along the way....

"can have2flushtwice meet the self-set goals?"
    "will he pop into ontherun on the naas rd for a snack at 5pm tomorrow?"
    what will he do with the last 2 clubmilks in the press?
    "will george lee take charlie birds job in washington?"

tune in tomorrow and find out.....

cheers lads and girls.

• Advertisement

Can anyone out there let me know what i should be concentrating on in the gym?

I'm 6ft and 69kg and my diet is the same as flushtwice.

thats the problem! that diet is VERY bad tbh. take on board some of the advice given to flushtwice regarding diet. concentrate on lifting heavy at least twice a week and doing plenty cardio, however you could be wasting your time with a poor diet.

ok, so
    tuesday morning, 6am, 3 weetabix, lactose free milk.
    on the way to dublin, had a banana and a 500ml bottle of water, and a yoghuart.
    10am, cup of tea.
    13:00. crap canteen but thats no excuse.... a wholemeal bread bapp, lettuce, pepper, ham, and beetroot, with tea.
    4pm on the way home, i had made a tuna and cheese sambo, an apple, and more water got me through the journey home..thanks p o connor!

when i got home i got edgy, maybe looking for a sugar fix... had some nuts, about 3 handfulls. then went playing soccer for an hour, when i got home i had soup and wholemeal bread. ... too much bread in that day i think. need an alternative... what about boiled eggs? they should fill the gap. was going to have a banana but thats an energy food and i was thinking i wouldnt get to sleep so thats why i went for the soup.

today, 3 weetabix, yoghart, porridge tea,
    tuna and cheese (1 easi single) for lunch with tomato soup.

on my desk i have an apple and orange and water. so im good till i finish work.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

when i got home i got edgy, maybe looking for a sugar fix... had some nuts, about 3 handfulls. then went playing soccer for an hour, when i got home i had soup and wholemeal bread. ... too much bread in that day i think. need an alternative... what about boiled eggs? they should fill the gap. was going to have a banana but thats an energy food and i was thinking i wouldnt get to sleep so thats why i went for the soup.

I like you get a mad mind for carbs when I get home from training - especially soccer for some reason, its not as bad after Taekwondo?:rolleyes: But anyway...try scrambled eggs. Take 2 eggs, break em into a bowl, chop up some pepper or tomato or even a bit of ham. mix it in and zap for 2/mins in the microwave. Quick, easy and low carb. Nothing wrong with soup either (depending on the type). But it just doesn't seem right to have it without bread....I know...:)

You seem to be doing well so far anyway, so keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Try replacing bread with wraps or pita breads. Alot lighter on the stomach + less cals = less belly :D

Tuna is king of the easy meals for me. Add some chilli sauce to it and have it with a rivita cracker. yum!

Try making an ommelette for dinner too. Very easy + you can throw in loads of veg nd maybe ONE cooked sausage as a treat..I SAID ONE!!

..ahem... :D

i see where this is going to go... i need a grab it or dis it policy for tesco - if there is no bad stuff in the house to eat the temptation is a lot less!
    just need to get the habit formed.
    breaking it out, (need to develop this over time for a bit of variety)

breakfast options:
    alpen, country store, weetabix, porridge, yoghart. scrambled egg.

snack options - nuts, oranges, grapes, bananas, apples, crackers (with tuna) soup, beans, scrambled egg

lunch: salads, ......

evening, veg stirfry with meat, choose white meat over red, pasta, fish, veg,

other rules:
    wholemeal bread only
    lots of fruit.
    low fat or lactose free milk
    no cheese, sundried tomatos, club milks, crisps, lucozade, yorkies (oh no!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Fixed your post :) (see bolded comments)

i see where this is going to go... i need a grab it or dis it policy for tesco - if there is no bad stuff in the house to eat the temptation is a lot less!
    just need to get the habit formed.
    breaking it out, (need to develop this over time for a bit of variety)

breakfast options:
    weetabix, porridge, yogurt, scrambled egg.

snack options - nuts, oranges, grapes, bananas, apples, crackers (with tuna) soup, beans, scrambled egg, Whey shake when pushed for time

lunch: salads, Waps, Filled Pitta breads......

evening, veg stirfry with meat, choose white meat over red (Red meat is fine occasionly), fish, veg,

other rules:
    wholemeal bread only -- Sparingly
    lots of Veg, some fruit.
    low fat or lactose free milk
    no cheese, sundried tomatos, club milks, crisps, lucozade, yorkies (oh no!!!!)

Drinks:
    Green tea, Water

flushtwice, your new diet looks fine, keep portion sizes in check though!

exercise hard and just make it a routine. dont go checking your weight more often than every 7 - 10 days and dont expect over night results. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JediPoncho

legend365 wrote: »
    chilli sauce

Legend, is this something you buy or make? Details?

Thanks.

Advertisement