Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying for jobs when need surgery in near future

Options
  • 08-02-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hope this is in the right section

My boyfriend found out last august that he has a serious health condition that he will need surgery for. Surgery will probably be in a few months time.
    He is not happy in his current job, they have not been very supportive since he found out he has this problem.

He would love to leave, but he can't just quit and he can't really apply for jobs jobs knowing that in a few months he will need to take a few months off for surgery and recovery.
    He says he will look for something new when he's recovering from his surgery.

Is there any point in applying for jobs now?
    If he did when would be the right time to disclose his health problem
    and the fact that he would need to take months off for surgery?

I'm thinking he has no choice but to wait, but his job sucks so its getting harder for him to be motivated to get up and go in every day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I'm surprised he would need so much time off. It must be a major operation.

If I were him I would stay where I was until I recovered.

Why did he tell his company about the health problem? Did he have to in order to get time off for appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

Yes it is a big enough operation,
    He had to tell them as he needed time off for hospital appointments and a short stay in hospital,
    The recovery time for his operation is 6 weeks if there are no issues, longer if there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I would think a new company would be less supportive of time off as you are only in the door. How long is he in his current job?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

He's there 15 months.

Advertisement