Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any medical problems due to tattoos

• 08-02-2010 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Has any one ever faced any medial problems due to making of tatoos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Pain :) thats all I got anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jippers87

Hi!

I haven´t and I don´t know anybody who has! Do you?

The only thing I´m concerned about is having a medical problem in the future that will affect my tattoo. Such as needing surgery in that are! Eeeek! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Has any one ever faced any medial problems due to making of tatoos

Im sure that there are cases of hep and aids because of dirty needles but none that ive heard of personaly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dancor wrote: »
    Im sure that there are cases of hep and aids because of dirty needles but none that ive heard of personaly.

There are no recorded cases of HIV infection from tattooing and only 3 of Hep C that can be 100% confirmed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Hellrazer wrote: »
    There are no recorded cases of HIV infection from tattooing and only 3 of Hep C that can be 100% confirmed.

Any links for this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

jenizzle wrote: »
    Any links for this?

Yep but my figures are out of date.
    12 known Hep infections but 0 Hiv/aids.

Its based on figures from the CDC.

http://www.tattooartist.com/health.html

Really? I thought it would actullay be common enough actually with the ammount of cowboys out there. Interesting.

Dancor wrote: »
    Really? I thought it would actullay be common enough actually with the ammount of cowboys out there. Interesting.

Theyre still clean cowboys :D:D:D

There was a thread here last week about something similar where I mentioned that I was more concerned about dentists than Tattooists--Looks like I was right according to the link above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Is it true ya cant give blood for a few months after getting a tattoo? If it is true what is the reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

12 months generally... from my understanding its due to the (perceived) increased risk of contracting hepatitis... the blood service wants to make sure you won't pass on something to the recipient, so in that time you would have displayed symptoms if you had contract hepatitis from getting a tattoo.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think it's 4 months? And isn't it because of the possibility of Hep C and HIV? It takes at least 12 weeks to show up on blood tests that there is an infection present.

Can I Give Blood: Answer 5

Unfortunately, you are unable to give blood for 4 months from the date of the tattoo or the piercing.

It used to be 6 months, but they changed it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Some people have allergic reactions to the ink in tattoos and it can cause blistering and scars. Usually the reaction is to red or yellow ink but it is not very common, reactions to black ink are incredibly rare.

Yep but my figures are out of date.
    12 known Hep infections but 0 Hiv/aids.

Its based on figures from the CDC.

http://www.tattooartist.com/health.html

Hellrazer, do you know where to get more current stats? CDC has only published 2007 rates, from what I can gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sligo22

yea for donating blood a few years back it was 12 months, then they brought it down to 6 months and more recently down to 4 months in Ireland anyway!! its the same deal with peircings not just tattoos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think that more than anything, that just shows how badly they need supplies for the blood banks. :(

I think that more than anything, that just shows how badly they need supplies for the blood banks. :(

It also shows that the risk of catching something from piercing/tattooing is now percieved as quite low.

It also shows that the risk of catching something from piercing/tattooing is now percieved as quite low.

yea i read somewhere ( could have been skin deep!?) that byou have more chance of getting hepatitas or an infection from a dentists visit than from getting a tattoo..i mean of course that is provided the tattooist place is clean an all!!!

Depends on whom really... many doctors still jump to conclusions. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Sligo22 wrote: »
    yea i read somewhere ( could have been skin deep!?) that byou have more chance of getting hepatitas or an infection from a dentists visit than from getting a tattoo..i mean of course that is provided the tattooist place is clean an all!!!
    and presuming the dentist place is clean and all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Sligo22 wrote: »
    yea i read somewhere ( could have been skin deep!?) that you have more chance of getting hepatitas or an infection from a dentists visit than from getting a tattoo..i mean of course that is provided the tattooist place is clean an all!!!
    All the more reason not to like dentists!

LD 50 wrote: »
    All the more reason not to like dentists!

DEFINATELY!!! i'd take gettin tattooed anyday over a dentists visit!!! they're scary:eek:

Advertisement